Roscommon Childcare case

Mushroom

Twitted by Frank Fitzgibbon:-

In tomorrow's Sunday Times: The man who wrote the inquiry into the death of Kelly Fitzgerald tells Justine McCarthy how his report was suppressed.

I look forward to reading the report and hope that names are named. I wonder will anyone with the initials EH feature.

And he does! No great surprise there. That man has a lot of questions to answer - but I doubt that he'll ever be asked them in the Ireland of the blind eye.

spidermom

Social workers say they made 30 requests for extra support - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 01, 2010

I realise that the report said that resources were "allegedly" not an issue, but I think the article is worth publishing here...BUT then there is this..........."The inquiry team’s report acknowledges some of these issues. It refers to unsuccessful proposals being made by heads of discipline and childcare management for resources to meet particular needs that were specifically identified."

OPPS...sounds like resources could have been implicated!

Old Mr Grouser

OPPS...sounds like resources could have been implicated!
I agree with you, S.

We're talking about page 18 of the Inquiry's Report - http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Children/RoscommonChildCareCase.pdf

Para 2.3.5 does say that, "the Inquiry Team is satisfied that, in this particular case, resources, per se, were not an issue".

That is then qualified, "One caveat is, however, the difficulty in recruiting staff which did have an impact at critical points in the lifetime of this case.

In addition, the Inquiry Team was advised that on two occasions known to the Inquiry, that is in 2000 and in late 2002, there were other serious child protection concerns in areas of Roscommon that required a good deal of attention from social workers. At both of those times there were staff shortages."

How did the staff shortage and staff turnover in Roscommon compare with the situation in other rural areas?

And what might have been the reasons?

The report doesn't say. And yet I'd have thought that almost every Irish social-worker in England would have jumped at the chance of a public-sector salaried post in rural Ireland.

turdsl

I suppose it wouldbe to much to expect Harney to resign this morning for her lack of accountability, All those report are on her shelves, why bother,

berberie

First of......Have not read the report,(cannot bear to read another report like this.....) only what I've heard and l read in the papers.
It seems to me we could spend the next 10 years blaming individual social workers in this country...for all the abuse cases we have had over the last 15 years. And it would get us absolutely no-where.
Newsy and I have posted threads here over various abuse cases and NONE have achieved the same posting numbers as the Ryan report et al.
The WAY we look at children in this country has to change. NOT ONLY as an individual social worker...but their line manager...the head of the HSE local office..HSE regional office....HSE Millenium HSE...the MINISTER and her junior MINISTER...the teacher...the principle of the school...the GP...the PHN...but most importantly US......

As a society if one of these threads is opened, inevitably we get the blame on the parents...society...the welfare culture...the officials...the DOHC...the HSE...the DOE...etc..etc.....etc......

The links that some-one produced from the UK are what is waiting for us if we DO NOT PUT child protection and the rights and needs of children to the forefront of where we want to be.......
We,perhaps, do not need a constitutional change(as it would not have made a difference in this case)...but it would HELP.....as a definitive reminder that kids are deserving of a special and safe place....!!

(ramblings....apologies....there are many reports outstanding....how we failed Melissa Mahon for example!!!!!!....if nowt else these 6 kids are alive!!!!!!!!)
Excellently put Spider. Unfortunately whilst we debate who is at fault/to blame for what happened to all these children who knows how many others are suffering/will potentially die at the hands of their parents/guardians?

We need to make children a priority in this country!

No more putting the welfare and rights of children on the backburner whilst everything else makes the headlines ie the state of our finances, the ability of the government etc.

Last edited:

gallowglass

First of......Have not read the report,(cannot bear to read another report like this.....) only what I've heard and l read in the papers.
It seems to me we could spend the next 10 years blaming individual social workers in this country...for all the abuse cases we have had over the last 15 years. And it would get us absolutely no-where.
Newsy and I have posted threads here over various abuse cases and NONE have achieved the same posting numbers as the Ryan report et al.
The WAY we look at children in this country has to change. NOT ONLY as an individual social worker...but their line manager...the head of the HSE local office..HSE regional office....HSE Millenium HSE...the MINISTER and her junior MINISTER...the teacher...the principle of the school...the GP...the PHN...but most importantly US......

As a society if one of these threads is opened, inevitably we get the blame on the parents...society...the welfare culture...the officials...the DOHC...the HSE...the DOE...etc..etc.....etc......

The links that some-one produced from the UK are what is waiting for us if we DO NOT PUT child protection and the rights and needs of children to the forefront of where we want to be.......
We,perhaps, do not need a constitutional change(as it would not have made a difference in this case)...but it would HELP.....as a definitive reminder that kids are deserving of a special and safe place....!!

(ramblings....apologies....there are many reports outstanding....how we failed Melissa Mahon for example!!!!!!....if nowt else these 6 kids are alive!!!!!!!!)
There will be other Roscommons, other children endure agony - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

Social Work, as an occcupational group, cannot escape criticism in these failures............

Top Bottom