Roseanne Barr reboot series dumped by ABC

Cruimh

ABC TV network has cancelled comedian Roseanne Barr's sitcom after she posted a racist tweet likening an African-American former Obama aide to an ape.

ABC said: "Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values and we have decided to cancel her show."

Barr's tweet said Valerie Jarrett was the child of the Muslim Brotherhood and the Planet of the Apes film.

The reboot of her hit '90s sitcom "Roseanne" has been a ratings hit.
ABC drops Roseanne show after racist tweet - BBC News

A predictable end
By James Cook, BBC Los Angeles Correspondent

Well, that was predictable.

The return of Roseanne was as short-lived as it was spectacular.

Its star, Roseanne Barr, is the Donald Trump of sitcom: blunt, provocative and, at times, deeply offensive.

For years her social media activity was laced with profanity, provocation and peculiar conspiracy theories.

ABC executives knew all that when they took the risk on the reboot and at first it seemed the gamble had paid off.

Ratings were superb, while critics praised the sitcom for tackling American political divisions in a manner sympathetic to the millions of people who voted for Mr Trump - a group which often complained that TV wasn't made for them any more - while still entertaining millions of his opponents.

Now for the backlash from angry supporters of the show, the Trump administration and - one imagines - from the president himself.
Roseanne says she is leaving Twitter. Hard to understand why she would behave so badly - this wasn't the only offensive tweet.

And rough on the others in the cancelled show who would presumably have done very nicely out of re-run fees.

Hat-tip to mods for changing thread title to correct my misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Sync

They weren't reruns, it was her new show. Doing very well in the ratings. Inevitable. All 3 comments were varying degrees of unacceptable, with the one aimed at Jarrett being the worst by some measure.

D

Deleted member 48908

ABC drops Roseanne show after racist tweet - BBC News

Roseanne says she is leaving Twitter. Hard to understand why she would behave so badly - this wasn't the only offensive tweet.

And rough on the others in the cancelled show who would presumably have done very nicely out of re-run fees.
It wasn't just her reruns that were cancelled. She's lost next season too. This has cost her and the cast/crew a fortune. She's a loon.

GDPR

[video=youtube;ru2BYd3c90w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2BYd3c90w[/video]

edg

Why, oh why, do idiots post such crap on twitter?

Analyzer

Mama Harney - American Edition ?

Eventualities

Idiot.

I mean, the usual loons are going to point to this as an attack on freedom of speech, too, aren't they?

stopdoingstuff

She can be very funny as a person though I am not a fan of the show. She might have been joking about Jarrett or she might not. I would not have punished her in any way but I didn't pump millions into her new show and suffer no financial drawback from her being extremely racially insensitive. That being said I do wonder if the recent outcry about the whole Trump thing made her just that little bit more sackable.

Zapslaststand

Twitter
@daxxdrake
It is a shame, as Roseanne represented a demographic not often seen on American Television Networks. Having said that, knowing Ms Barr, she might have just decided to balance up the gender balance in the Powerful People behaving badly category.:rolleyes:

Degeneration X

It wasn't just her reruns that were cancelled. She's lost next season too. This has cost her and the cast/crew a fortune. She's a loon.
I feel sorry for John Goodman, about the only good thing to come out of the "Roseanne" show, he's a fantastic actor who always earns his paycheck.:cry:

Niall996

One of history'e most expensive tweets I presume.

GDPR

Oh come on, she is a nut - she would do well on here.

Back in 2008, she went full PUMA (Party Unity My Ass) the extremists who vowed to vote for McCain if HRC wasnt nominated.

Next thing is she loves Trump.

Sync

The cast will get their Season 1 pay. Goodman was doing it as a favour, for the rest it's whatever 500k each they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near without the show.

Corcaigh85

She can be very funny as a person though I am not a fan of the show. She might have been joking about Jarrett or she might not. I would not have punished her in any way but I didn't pump millions into her new show and suffer no financial drawback from her being extremely racially insensitive. That being said I do wonder if the recent outcry about the whole Trump thing made her just that little bit more sackable.
The problem with making a joke on social media, it's not easy to convey a context to written words.

Corcaigh85

The cast will get their Season 1 pay. Goodman was doing it as a favour, for the rest it's whatever 500k each they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near without the show.
Isn't there a the Big Lebowski sequel or some spin off being filmed ? He'd be free for that now.

Analyzer

If Tommy Tiernan can make jokes about the Holocaust, and get a career in PRAVDA-rte, afterwards.......then Roseanne Barr knows where to go to get her snout back into the trough.

And no veneer liberal will dare say a word against Ireland's gobsh1te "comedian".

Strawberry

I feel sorry for John Goodman, about the only good thing to come out of the "Roseanne" show, he's a fantastic actor who always earns his paycheck.:cry:
The one who played Roseanne's sister is a good comedy actress too - she got the Best Actress nom at the Oscars this year for Ladybird, but I can't remember her name. Both her and Goodman are far more talented than Roseanne.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies