• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Ross runs away from responsibility over Rosslare-Cherbourg route

Prof Honeydew

Irish Ferries today announced its intention to transfer its services to France from Rosslare to Dublin. Itsstated reason, that customers preferred sailing from Dublin despite it taking four hours longer, is as credible as Brexiteer arguments of the economic benefits of Brexit.

Minister of State for Tourism Brendan Griffin provided the first government response to the announcement following outraged reaction from the haulage industry, tourism interests and most of the political representatives from the Southeast.

This move by Irish Ferries makes absolutely no sense other than concentrating their entire traffic into Dublin to use up the extra capacity of the new vessel on the Dublin-Cherbourg route. It takes no consideration of the increased traffic congestion around Dublin port, the transfer of tourism from the South and Southeast to the already crowded and overpriced Dublin market, the effects on regional economic development and the increased costs imposed on hauliers in the south and southeast of the country and, in the imminent context of Brexit where we need to increase rather than decrease sea-borne connectivity with mainland Europe, is of monumental stupidity governed solely by the prospect of dubious short-term gains.

You would think the above would be of concern to the Minister for Transport but there wasn't a word out of Shane Ross until RTÉ Radio One tracked him down for News at One. Under questioning, he revealed he'd already known of Irish Ferries' intentions, claimed he'd made his concerns known but said it was a commercial decision.

Unfortunately, I suppose it's no more than we can expect from this sneering condescending prìck who has never concealed his contempt for everything ouside his privileged comfort zone of Saith Cainty Dublin. Ireland's transport policy is HIS responsibility but, instead of having the guts to take on a Chief Executive who can't see beyond the next quarterly announcement, he concentrates his efforts on capturing headlines from the Dublin media for his campaign to screw drivers in rural Ireland.

Shame on you, Ross. And shame on those Independent Alliance TDs who've hitched their wagons to his star.

Dame_Enda

I would point out that talk of closing the port was also in the press when Varadkar was Transport Minister.

Gin Soaked

Ross is an indefensible parish pump gombeen elected on the basis of opposing the Healy-Rae-ing of politics...

He is also prone to sound bite legislation that is draconian and cruel, as an alternative to actually using the laws we have.

Not sure what he could do on this, but he should get off his proverbial and try.

CatullusV

It's a commercial decision - one which any company is not simply entitled to make, but is also duty-bound in law to make if it feels that it serves the best interests of its shareholders. Other considerations do not enter the picture.

The only way that government should intervene is with a financial argument such as subsidies. Not that that model wouldn't attract massive criticism from taxpayers.

Prof Honeydew

It's a commercial decision - one which any company is not simply entitled to make, but is also duty-bound in law to make if it feels that it serves the best interests of its shareholders. Other considerations do not enter the picture.

The only way that government should intervene is with a financial argument such as subsidies. Not that that model wouldn't attract massive criticism from taxpayers.
If I decided to open a yard and I had just one artic one the road, I'd have to jump through hoops before I'd be allowed to proceed. I'd need traffic management plans, environmental impact assessments, health and safety studies and God knows what else before they'd even entertain me lodging a planning application which every address-snob Nimby would spend months objecting to. Yet when Irish Ferries decide to add to the already overstretched of the M50 and the access roads to Dublin Port, the minister responsible tells them to fire ahead.

The OD

Someone get this f*u*cking trainwreck (Ross) a drink FFS.

Preferably 100% methanol.

locke

He couldn't even care less when Bus Éireann were on strike and that is far more directly related to his job as the Government is the 100% shareholder in CIE.

He is completely out of his depth.

As a journalist, it was easy to see the failings in state institutions. It takes a much greater skill level to run and fix things.

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
It takes a much greater skill level to run and fix things.
not exactly sure how he would fix this, short of renationalising the ports and/or the company. A congestion charge on Artics?

Jack O Neill

If I decided to open a yard and I had just one artic one the road, I'd have to jump through hoops before I'd be allowed to proceed. I'd need traffic management plans, environmental impact assessments, health and safety studies and God knows what else before they'd even entertain me lodging a planning application which every address-snob Nimby would spend months objecting to. Yet when Irish Ferries decide to add to the already overstretched of the M50 and the access roads to Dublin Port, the minister responsible tells them to fire ahead.
Perhaps if the country had which it should long ago have a had a proper port near Dublin and full accessible to the entire country and not a rat run through the capital city then this issue would not have arisen

artfoley56

shane is ironically hiding in his ross lair

Schuhart

automaticforthepeople

John Halligan was the TD who went into office looking for a new runway to his local office and all he achieves is the closure of a local ferry route.
Says it all about FG & the Indo's!

SPN

a) Stena operates Rosslare-Cherbourg every second day. If they think there is demand they will increase their capacity

b) Ross has no role, whatsoever, in telling a commercial business how they should decide to run that business.

I don't know what Rothwell is up to, but I'm sure Phoenix Magazine will be all over it.

Half Nelson

John Halligan was the TD who went into office looking for a new runway to his local office and all he achieves is the closure of a local ferry route.
Says it all about FG & the Indo's!
FG and their crawlers have been too busy with the sexy issues of ssm and abortion to bother with the small potatoes of housing, health and national infrastructure.

Somebody now needs to find a way to make Rosslare trendy with the RTE luvvies.

Socratus O' Pericles

On the other hand people will be sailing safe in the knowledge they are depating from the home oftheSam Maguire Cup...that should give them a warm feeling.

bactrian

a) Stena operates Rosslare-Cherbourg every second day. If they think there is demand they will increase their capacity

b) Ross has no role, whatsoever, in telling a commercial business how they should decide to run that business.

I don't know what Rothwell is up to, but I'm sure Phoenix Magazine will be all over it.

It is frightening that Shane Ross is the minister responsible responsible for dealing with this challenge. I listened to his "rabbit-in-the-headlights " contribution to the News at 1.00pm today. He does not know what to do, if he can do , or how he can do anything. He sounded frightened and lost.

SPN

As to your point (a) : I did not know that Stena operated every second day. This is a hopeful fact.

As to your point (b): I disagree that " Ross has no role, whatsoever". I believe that a competent Minister would be in contact with Stena and every other possible carrier to facilitate greater traffic to Rosslare.

Half Nelson

It is frightening that Shane Ross is the minister responsible responsible for dealing with this challenge. I listened to his "rabbit-in-the-headlights " contribution to the News at 1.00pm today. He does not know what to do, if he can do , or how he can do anything. He sounded frightened and lost.

SPN

As to your point (a) : I did not know that Stena operated every second day. This is a hopeful fact.

As to your point (b): I disagree that " Ross has no role, whatsoever". I believe that a competent Minister would be in contact with Stena and every other possible carrier to facilitate greater traffic to Rosslare.
A competent minister wouldn't have been taken by surprise by such an announcement. He would have a network of contacts and friends to give him the heads up.

Ross had his lazy head buried in finding more easy ways to bully the motorist.

Dame_Enda

We need changes to EU state aid rules to allow the State to subsidise routes.

Baron von Biffo

Irish Ferries today announced its intention to transfer its services to France from Rosslare to Dublin. Itsstated reason, that customers preferred sailing from Dublin despite it taking four hours longer, is as credible as Brexiteer arguments of the economic benefits of Brexit.

Minister of State for Tourism Brendan Griffin provided the first government response to the announcement following outraged reaction from the haulage industry, tourism interests and most of the political representatives from the Southeast.

This move by Irish Ferries makes absolutely no sense other than concentrating their entire traffic into Dublin to use up the extra capacity of the new vessel on the Dublin-Cherbourg route. It takes no consideration of the increased traffic congestion around Dublin port, the transfer of tourism from the South and Southeast to the already crowded and overpriced Dublin market, the effects on regional economic development and the increased costs imposed on hauliers in the south and southeast of the country and, in the imminent context of Brexit where we need to increase rather than decrease sea-borne connectivity with mainland Europe, is of monumental stupidity governed solely by the prospect of dubious short-term gains.

You would think the above would be of concern to the Minister for Transport but there wasn't a word out of Shane Ross until RTÉ Radio One tracked him down for News at One. Under questioning, he revealed he'd already known of Irish Ferries' intentions, claimed he'd made his concerns known but said it was a commercial decision.

Unfortunately, I suppose it's no more than we can expect from this sneering condescending prìck who has never concealed his contempt for everything ouside his privileged comfort zone of Saith Cainty Dublin. Ireland's transport policy is HIS responsibility but, instead of having the guts to take on a Chief Executive who can't see beyond the next quarterly announcement, he concentrates his efforts on capturing headlines from the Dublin media for his campaign to screw drivers in rural Ireland.

Shame on you, Ross. And shame on those Independent Alliance TDs who've hitched their wagons to his star.
A spokesman for the minister said, "The minister is examining all the relevant information to establish whether Rosslare, or anywhere else beyond the M50, is in in Ireland.'

Orbit v2

We need changes to EU state aid rules to allow the State to subsidise routes.
No change would be required to do that as states are already allowed to subsidise specific transport routes. Maybe that is what ICG are angling for. So I guess we should be careful before committing public money in this way. If they are merely moving ships around from one route to another then that could be reversed quickly. OTOH if they were on the point of selling off ships or doing something that would be hard to reverse then maybe something might be needed.

Not that I would expect Shane Ross to get involved in anything complicated like this. Much easier to hammer ordinary citizens with ever tougher traffic penalties.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies