• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

RT banned from media freedom event

RasherHash

About 1,000 journalists gathered in London to attend a media freedom event, but Russian English language station RT were banned.

The Event accused RT of 'spreading disinformation'.

The Russian embassy in London wrote to the event to express disapproval of the decision to ban RT.

In a statement RT said: "It takes a particular brand of hypocrisy to advocate for freedom of the press while banning inconvenient voices and slandering alternative media".

Dame_Enda

RT are a propaganda channel but they are sometimes a news channel too. For me the lowest they ever sunk on propaganda apart from during Ukraine was in the 2008 South Ossetia conflict where they referred to "the genocide in South Ossetia" and to create an eerie atmosphere they played Schindler's-list type music, conjuring up an image of Nazi Georgians killing thousands of Ossetians. In a later documentary some years after, they admitted only around 100 had died.

On the other hand, I enjoy The Keiser Report and Crosstalk.

HenryHorace

Another case of "we believe in freedom of expression as long as the same as our views". It's happening everywhere you look including right here on this site.

HenryHorace

RT are a propaganda channel but they are sometimes a news channel too. For me the lowest they ever sunk on propaganda apart from during Ukraine was in the 2008 South Ossetia conflict where they referred to "the genocide in South Ossetia" and to create an eerie atmosphere they played Schindler's-list type music, conjuring up an image of Nazi Georgians killing thousands of Ossetians. In a later documentary some years after, they admitted only around 100 had died.

They are no more a propaganda outlet than CNN is for the democrats or RTE is for FFG.

Clanrickard

About 1,000 journalists gathered in London to attend a media freedom event, but Russian English language station RT were banned.

The Russian embassy in London wrote to the event to express disapproval of the decision to ban RT.

In a statement RT said: "It takes a particular brand of hypocrisy to advocate for freedom of the press while banning inconvenient voices and slandering alternative media".

Good. It is not a proper news channel and is the moutpiece froa regime that is the enemy of freedom of speech.

rainmaker

Administrator
They are no more a propaganda outlet than CNN is for the democrats or RTE is for FFG.
They are actually owned lock and stock and barrel by Putins government.

Have you ever seen a story on RT critical of Putin or the Russian government? And I mean ever. No, because those stories are not there.

Or it could be that Putin and his regime are genuinely infallible :rolleyes:

rainmaker

Administrator

Excellent and quite right.

tsarbomb

Will Trevor Birney or Barry McAffrey be attending? :)

I'm sure they'll be singing the praises of the BBC though. Perhaps someone should remind them of their true colours.

rainmaker

Administrator
Will Trevor Birney or Barry McAffrey be attending? :)

I'm sure they'll be singing the praises of the BBC though. Perhaps someone should remind them of their true colours.

What's seven year old non story got to do with this event, or that RT is Putins personal mouthpiece that has not uttered a single criticism of him, ever?

Barroso

Possibly true.
On the other hand, do you think the BBC World Service is independent or does it spread propaganda approved by the English establishment?
How about the Voice of America and Radio Liberty?

Dame_Enda

Possibly true.
On the other hand, do you think the BBC World Service is independent or does it spread propaganda approved by the English establishment?
How about the Voice of America and Radio Liberty?
I think BBC has been spreading a lot of anti Corbyn propaganda lately with the "anti semitism" witch-hunt, which seems to me a smear that would make AIPAC blush in the US. Labour is accusing BBC of doctoring an email they showed on the program.

I think in general though, BBC is usually a credible news source.

rainmaker

Administrator
I think BBC has been spreading a lot of anti Corbyn propaganda lately with the "anti semitism" witch-hunt,
No, they are reporting on a major and divisive issue currently dividing the second largest party in the UK.

They have not said whether Corbyn is or isn't an anti Semite, however it would be very strange if the BBC ignored or downplayed such a serious spat in the party.

Dame_Enda

No, they are reporting on a major and divisive issue currently dividing the second largest party in the UK.

They have not said whether Corbyn is or isn't an anti Semite, however it would be very strange if the BBC ignored or downplayed such a serious spat in the party.
When the people they interview on this are often former Blair accolytes bitterly opposed to Corbyn for years before he became leader, and in a number of cases are actually funding rebels e.g. Tom Watson admitted receiving donations from Sir David Garrand a pro Israel millionaire, and Ian Austin received donations from Sir Steven Chinn, and when BBC ignores this, it seriously calls into question their objectivity as to believing the vague (often internet based) accusations against Labour.

rainmaker

Administrator
When the people they interview on this are often former Blair accolytes bitterly opposed to Corbyn for years before he became leader, and in a number of cases are actually funding rebels e.g. Tom Watson...
I watch the BBC all the time - they interview both sides of the argument, not just one.

They do not have time to go into enormous detail of who is supposedly funding specific individuals on either side.

You see it as a scurrilous slur & the BBC should be describing it as such, the other side see him as an anti Semite & are angry that the BBC do not refer to him as such.

That means they are doing something right - unlike RT.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies