RTE 1 : Toughest Place to be

gerhard dengler

On RTE 1 now.

A chap working for Dublin City Council as a street cleaner swaps places with a chap in Manila City in the Philippines.

This makes for tough viewing but it's a great reminder for how fortunate you and I are.

RodShaft

On RTE 1 now.

A chap working for Dublin City Council as a street cleaner swaps places with a chap in Manila City in the Philippines.

This makes for tough viewing but it's a great reminder for how fortunate you and I are.
It's fùcking disgusting is what it is. No body should have to live like that.

Marina1962

I'm nearly in tears watching this. That guy Mark is such a character. Fair play to him.

RodShaft

This gets worse and worse. Eating food that's been thrown out. Revolting stuff.

Ellen Ripley

On RTE 1 now.

Shocking to see people living in a landfill dump, so dangerous that many have been buried in an avalanche of waste...

This was the first country in Asia to become a republic but the corruption of the Marcoses and their cronies must have done lasting damage.

Compared to South Korea it's another world.

james toney

This six-part series follows residents of Manila's Tondo slum as they live, love, survive and aspire in some of the world's toughest living conditions.

Deliverance - Al Jazeera English

JCR

Thats the price of our cheap clothes and other assorted junk I suppose.

gerhard dengler

RTE rarely get it right.

But in this case they've got it spot on.

A superb programme. Well done RTE and well done Mark Crosbie, you did yourself proud.

On RTE 1 now.

I've seen real poverty firsthand in the Third World back in the days.

It imposes a re-examination of your own life.

We shouldn't forget that there is some dreadful poverty and depravity in Ireland too.

RTE rarely get it right.

But in this case they've got it spot on.

A superb programme. Well done RTE and well done Mark Crosbie, you did yourself proud.
I hope to catch up on it on the 'net tomorrow; it sounds very promising.

gerhard dengler

The warmth of the Philippino family who took Mark Crosbie was humbling. These people have nothing, but they opened their home to their visitor. Yet these people are happy, smiling. The neighbours were warm welcoming and wanting to talk and engage with Mark Crosbie.

The family live in two rooms in another vastly overcrowded section of Manila City. The father of the family earns €15 a week cleaning his district.

pinemartin

On RTE 1 now.

The Northside is not that bad.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
On RTE 1 now.

I'm not trying to deflect. But was that priest in the documentary living in similar conditions? I doubt it. I think if Jesus came back he would be with the New People's Army trying to put an end to that way of living, not having mass with people swimming in their own feces.

I never knew the poverty in the Philippines was that bad. Great documentary for raising awareness. More of it is needed.

gerhard dengler

Unsung heroes and heroines of the Irish Nation.
CatholicHerald.co.uk » Nun from Derry killed in Ecuador earthquake

These people are spread throughout the World in some of the most dangerous parts of the globe.
For a small nation we have exported more of these selfless people than probably any other.
Indeed.

I was fortunate to have attended secondary school of one the greatest missionary orders in the world. The clergy who gave me and the other pupils our education had worked for years on the missions in Africa, South America.
Many of these men teaching us had endured huge physical hardship in their work abroad.
If it was a culture shock for people to leave Ireland for England or the USA in the 1940's/50's, try to imagine the culture shock inherent in moving to sub-Sahara Africa in those times.

My admiration for those men and their work is boundless. Great teachers and great men all.

storybud1

The Northside is not that bad.
Have you been on the North Circular lately ? or rented out a house to a certain bunch of Eastern Europeans there ?

Philippino's always had a good work/family/community ethic, just like most Irish and European Countries, what get's me is the bend over backwards agenda for the lazy fookers as if they had "issues" that needed special attention.

See it every day and it makes me laugh at some incredibly hard working immigrants and some lazy ass spongers that just have it in their DNA to be lazy,quick to complain, have no respect, think they are special, full of ego,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies