• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

RTE axes the Frontline

borntorum

Frontline is being given the chop, and instead Pat Kenny will be a presenter of Prime Time.

RTE is denying that this is a result of the tweetgate debacle

In his latest major shake up at the station, the former BBC boss denied that the decision to change the name of the Monday night debate had anything to do with the 'tweetgate' incident involving candidate Sean Gallagher during the last Frontline presidential debate last year.
IMO Frontline never lived up to expectations. It became like Liveline on the radio, with the studio audience predominantly made up of cranks and angry shouters. The mob on the show on Monday, barracking Frances Fitzgerald, was a case in point. And, of course, the Presidential debate was a lowpoint in RTE's current affairs history. Prime Time is a much better program, and it's welcome that Kenny is returning to his old stomping ground

Pat Kenny's 'Frontline' show to be axed in RTE shake up - TV & Radio, Entertainment - Independent.ie

Tawdy

Frontline is being given the chop, and instead Pat Kenny will be a presenter of Prime Time.

RTE is denying that this is a result of the tweetgate debacle

IMO Frontline never lived up to expectations. It became like Liveline on the radio, with the studio audience predominantly made up of cranks and angry shouters. The mob on the show on Monday, barracking Frances Fitzgerald, was a case in point. And, of course, the Presidential debate was a lowpoint in RTE's current affairs history. Prime Time is a much better program, and it's welcome that Kenny is returning to his old stomping ground

Pat Kenny's 'Frontline' show to be axed in RTE shake up - TV & Radio, Entertainment - Independent.ie

It looks like to me that they missed a wonderful chance to axe the shaggin plank at the same time.

DCon

It is not being given the chop. It is being re-branded and will be the same tosh but called PrimeTime

hammer

So do we get Monday back for something other than current affairs ?

A romcom would do nicely :)

B

Boggle

How is primetime any better? 30 second interviews eaten up by the usual waffle and a little bit of sensalionalised reporting for the tv3 factor and thats about it.

Current affairs on RTE need a major overhaul and they need to bring in a new anti waffle and spin rule with someone who is capable of moderating.

Potatoeman

It was a guilty pleasure watching ill informed angry people rant about nonsense. Many of the contributors would give half of their story and withhold elements that made them look bad.
The best was the anti-hunting guy “I shot your dogs”. Loses the crowd immediately.

Tawdy

How is primetime any better? 30 second interviews eaten up by the usual waffle and a little bit of sensalionalised reporting for the tv3 factor and thats about it.

Current affairs on RTE need a major overhaul and they need to bring in a new anti waffle and spin rule with someone who is capable of moderating.
Very well put, much better then my response.:shock:

SilverLining

Pity we can't get rid of the biased over paid presenter as well. Prime Time is going to get even more torturous now with him on it.

johnfás

RTE has changed the name of frontline would seem more accurate seeing as the same format will exist.

borntorum

this is the goverment just making sure people dont know whats going on in ireland today. If they cut out all the current afairs telly people wont know what is hapenig in Ireland today and we will just be spoon fed the rubbish the rte news give us.
Em, you're aware that the Frontline was RTE too?

B

Boggle

Very well put, much better then my response.:shock:
First time for everything! :)

Seriously though, the current affairs on RTE is a shambles and if they did their job properly in the first place we wouldn't be in half the mess we're in.

Spanner Island

Unfortunately that is an accurate summation imo...

I'm not sure if it's possible for RTE to deliver a Question Time type show...

The Frontline hasn't worked and the Questions & Answers it replaced got very stale by the end...

And I can't imagine a show like Question Time travelling the country here wouldn't suffer from the same mob and cranks bullsh!t that seems unavoidable on Irish 'debate' programmes...

Vincent Browne has had his day too...

SilverLining

this is the goverment just making sure people dont know whats going on in ireland today. If they cut out all the current afairs telly people wont know what is hapenig in Ireland today and we will just be spoon fed the rubbish the rte news give us.
No current affairs. No political satire. What's left ? Spin doctor crafted censored propaganda news ? Broadcast and print media are no longer a reliable place to find out what's happening.

B

Boggle

All the Frontline did was reinforce the pre-existing spin. It's easy to pick certain people from the audience when you know what they will be saying and to pack the audience to give the impression of how the nation felt while telling any story you want told.

hammer

PrimeTime in the last 4/5 weeks has been very poor.

Keep PK and RC and get rid of Miriam.

borntorum

Unfortunately that is an accurate summation imo...

I'm not sure if it's possible for RTE to deliver a Question Time type show...

The Frontline hasn't worked and the Questions & Answers it replaced got very stale by the end...

And I can't imagine a show like Question Time travelling the country here wouldn't suffer from the same mob and cranks bullsh!t that seems unavoidable on Irish 'debate' programmes...

Vincent Browne has had his day too...
I welcomed the decision to replace Q&A with The Frontline, as John Bowman's program had become stale and old fashioned.

But in retrospect it was superior to the tabloid TV of the Frontline

wombat

IMO Frontline never lived up to expectations. It became like Liveline on the radio, with the studio audience predominantly made up of cranks and angry shouters.
A very polite description, it reminded me of the afternoon shows in the U.S. where the women all weigh 300 lbs and have 5 kids with 7 possible fathers being humiliated for money. I stopped watching it years ago.:lol:

Pudna

Yea i know that but rte news is spoon fed wafle, on the frontline real people got to speak and slag the politician people.
You mean real people like Glenna Lynch who have prearranged a script with the RTE boys and girls.

Last edited:

BlackLion

This is good news. now people will get off their arses to complain instead of sitting on them on monday nights.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies