• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

RTE bailout of Gerry Ryan's family

Disillusioned democrat

I was away last weekend and just catching up on "news" now, and say a comments in other boards about RTE proposing to assist Gerry Ryan's family because he left them in such dire straits. I didn't see anything about this other than the negative response by letter writers and bloggers, so I was wondering if anyone has any details...it does seem ludicrous that a self-employed contractor to RTE, earning over €500k a year for more than 10 years would be considered a hardship case by the national broadcaster, and that they would consider giving tax payers money to help out his family.:confused:

seanad voter

Surely, Gerry contributed to some pension fund ?

Sync

Why don't you discuss your baseless gossipy rumours on that other board rather than a political one?

adamirer

read that too, was in a few papers. If he was employed a s aself employed person and not as an employee, then RTE shouldn't touch it. Ryan got 1/2 a mill a year, if he invested badly thats his problem.

Disillusioned democrat

It'd help if you could supply a link to the story.
That's actually my problem - I can only find letters in the Times and Independent from Mon complaining about it, but no sign of the original article, so i was hoping to get some input from this board because it's something I'd like to learn more about.

onthefence

there is a difference between tax payer and licence payer!

Disillusioned democrat

Why don't you discuss your baseless gossipy rumours on that other board rather than a political one?
Not baseless, not gossip - just trying to better understand how a state funded organisation could even consider spending tax- er license fee money to assist a non-employee's (he was a self-employed contractor) family. If this is the case, and this is what I'm trying to verify, not start a rumour, then it would be a serious abuse of public money.

There are plenty of "non political" threads on this board, so why don't you stick to those instead?

Tomas Mor

Let other well RTE folk like Joe Duffy, Marian Finucane, Tubs, Gaybo and all those well paid characters come together and ditch in a nice little nest egg for his family. They can well afford it, but leave licence/tax/payers alone.

Sync

Not baseless, not gossip - just trying to better understand how a state funded organisation could even consider spending tax- er license fee money to assist a non-employee's (he was a self-employed contractor) family. If this is the case, and this is what I'm trying to verify, not start a rumour, then it would be a serious abuse of public money.

There are plenty of "non political" threads on this board, so why don't you stick to those instead?
You have presented absolutely no evidence that RTE are considering it. None. You've even admitted you don't have any. Your only reference is something you read on another board about a letter written to a paper. So your decision was to talk on this board about something that is now 4th hand information. What you're doing is the very definition of rumour mongering.

Disillusioned democrat

You have presented absolutely no evidence that RTE are considering it. None. You've even admitted you don't have any. Your only reference is something you read on another board about a letter written to a paper. So your decision was to talk on this board about something that is now 4th hand information. What you're doing is the very definition of rumour mongering.
Taxpayer should not support Ryan family - Letters, Opinion - Independent.ie

Okay, here's a link to a the letters in Independent - I'm assuming there wasn't a spontaneous outburst of insanity over the weekend, so figure there was a basis for these two letters (and I think there were others in the IT also). If you're not interested, fine.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Taxpayer should not support Ryan family - Letters, Opinion - Independent.ie

Okay, here's a link to a the letters in Independent - I'm assuming there wasn't a spontaneous outburst of insanity over the weekend, so figure there was a basis for these two letters (and I think there were others in the IT also). If you're not interested, fine.
You're assuming a lot. It could simply be that someone suggested it in public who had no connection with RTe within earshot of those who wrote the letters. Nothing in the IT letters page that I can find.

Beaker

You're assuming a lot. It could simply be that someone suggested it in public who had no connection with RTe within earshot of those who wrote the letters. Nothing in the IT letters page that I can find.
Lets face it, you can get more news from the side of a milk carton than is contained in the Irish Times. The IT is not exactly comprehensive now is it....

mickterry

Someone should organize an appeal. Then we could all donate a few sheckels to keep the family in the lifestyle they are acustomed to. We owe it to Gerry's memory.

TradCat

As far as I remember the original story was in the Sunday Independent so it's safe to assume it's untrue.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Lets face it, you can get more news from the side of a milk carton than is contained in the Irish Times. The IT is not exactly comprehensive now is it....
I was simply noting that the belief of the OPer that it had been been mentioned in the IT letter page wasn't true.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies