• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

RTE buying rights to women’s World Cup - money well spent?

toughbutfair

RTE have spent tax payer money on the rights to show women playing football. They will be showing nearly every game live but do you know who the champions are , can you name the players of the club you follow ?

There is no business argument- ratings will be close to zero so ads won’t pay much
There is no sporting argument- as few people care
If you want totty watching then tennis is better as the girls are younger and there’s more close ups of their legs and rump
There’s no national interest argument- how often have you streamed girls football?

I think this is all related to the Harvey Weinstein case and the need to be seen to be empowering women . If so, then tennis (a sport I have little interest in) would make more sense as Anna Kournikova, Sharapova and others had cross over appeal and made money. It just seems like more of my money is being wasted.

luggage

Wagmore

RTE have spent tax payer money on the rights to show women playing football. They will be showing nearly every game live but do you know who the champions are , can you name the players of the club you follow ?

There is no business argument- ratings will be close to zero so ads won’t pay much
There is no sporting argument- as few people care
If you want totty watching then tennis is better as the girls are younger and there’s more close ups of their legs and rump
There’s no national interest argument- how often have you streamed girls football?

I think this is all related to the Harvey Weinstein case and the need to be seen to be empowering women . If so, then tennis (a sport I have little interest in) would make more sense as Anna Kournikova, Sharapova and others had cross over appeal and made money. It just seems like more of my money is being wasted.
So dumb, so Pravda.

Supra

Your ignorance is only exceeded by your misogyny. From potential audience figures there are more women than men in Ireland, so the market is there.

While I don't have figures for Ireland, in the UK participation is growing

And trying to connect all of this your paranoid delusions around an indicted sex offender is staggering, but unsurprising.

Assuming women in Ireland are interested in watching this is a bit of a leap.
I have no figures to back it up but I believe this will not impact soap opera viewing figures.

Wagmore

Your ignorance is only exceeded by your misogyny. From potential audience figures there are more women than men in Ireland, so the market is there.

And trying to connect all of this your paranoid delusions around an indicted sex offender is staggering, but unsurprising.
It's not misogyny. It's all about the spectacle and entertainment factor. There are some sports where women are a more attractive overall package. They don't include, soccer rugby or GAA. Just the facts. The attempts of denutted sports media to tell us otherwise are beyond pathetic

luggage

It's not misogyny. It's all about the spectacle and entertainment factor. There are some sports where women are a more attractive overall package. They don't include, soccer rugby or GAA. Just the facts. The attempts of denutted sports media to tell us otherwise are beyond pathetic
And do you watch men's sports because the athletes are more photogenic? So according to you we only watch sports based on the appeal of the participants?

toughbutfair

The fact that there are more women in the country is irrelevant, few of them watch football and even fewer would watch girls playing football. Let’s see what the TV ratings are. Can you name the players on the girls team you support ? There’s nothing sexist in that, it’s all true. Girls want to watch soap operas, reality tv etc

toughbutfair

And do you watch men's sports because the athletes are more photogenic? So according to you we only watch sports based on the appeal of the participants?
A female Wayne Rooney wouldn’t be marketable. Girls want to be pretty as there’s nothing more important than that (let’s be honest ) , so brands selling girl stuff will want the pretty girls to sell their product , that is why tennis does well as the camera is up close to her a lot. Women buy products that Sharapova or Kournikova advertise but few girls would buy the product an ugly girl advertises.

luggage

The fact that there are more women in the country is irrelevant, few of them watch football and even fewer would watch girls playing football. Let’s see what the TV ratings are. Can you name the players on the girls team you support ? There’s nothing sexist in that, it’s all true. Girls want to watch soap operas, reality tv etc
Wow, way to go with generalisations. So you know what the 2.5 million women in Ireland want to watch? The below is from 2018, but it indicates the trend

If you are unhappy with women's football being shown then you have a choice, don't watch it. Eastenders will still be on.

Supra

The hockey hysteria was the worst sporting event last year yet we still seem to be paying the price for it.

Round tower

It will be a boost for womens soccer in Ire., should incrase the numbers of girls and women playing soccer

toughbutfair

I hope that they are covering the women's beach volleyball tournament in June.
:)
I like the girl at 1.26
RTE would never show beach volleyball as some fat ugly feminist would object. Good exercise for girls and bikinis pressurize girls not to get fat so that’d be very good for the population, won’t happen though.

toughbutfair

It will be a boost for womens soccer in Ire., should incrase the numbers of girls and women playing soccer
Nothing against a 20 minute highlights show every night with analysis , might even watch that myself, but who the F would watch a full match ?

fat finger

Soccer is a game most of us associate with men players. Perhaps it would be better for RTE to show something we associate mainly with women. Equality doesn't have to mean doing the same. Why not show us Anatolian women weaving beautiful tapestries, great teamwork, great skill, something many of us could probably watch for hours without getting bored

toughbutfair

Soccer is a game most of us associate with men players. Perhaps it would be better for RTE to show something we associate mainly with women. Equality doesn't have to mean doing the same. Why not show us Anatolian women weaving beautiful tapestries, great teamwork, great skill, something many of us could probably watch for hours without getting bored
Good idea , they could show Irish fashion shows , models etc . Would boost the industry and show girls things of interest to them.

brughahaha

Well over 20,00 disagree with you as that was the attendance at the camogie final, an attendance much of the male league of Ireland can only dream of .......

And given the changed sporting landscape means RTE don't have the budgets to compete for the big ticket events these days , it makes sense for them to face reality and offer alternative sports and get in on the ground floor.

Of course I suspect if RTE didnt face these economic realities , you'd complain about that too .........

Oh and finally RTE is a public service broadcaster , which means putting on stuff that reflects Irish society ,even minorities interests (which isnt the case here) even if neanderthals like you don't approve ...... Its called fulfilling their remit

So basically you are wrong on every count ...quite an achievement

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies