RTE Considering even earlier Christmas Ads (In October), What do you think???

USER1234

What do you think of this from in yesterdays business post:

RTE hopes for an early Christmas

Christmas looks set to come early for television viewers as RTE is considering lifting its self-imposed ban on early festive ads.

Hard-pressed retailers are already seeking to place seasonal television and radio ads for the month of October.

Because of internal guidelines, the state broadcaster normally turns down Christmas-themed ads until after Halloween. But that rule may end, with RTE ‘‘undecided’’ as to when it will start running the Christmas ads, given the severe pressure on ad revenue over the past year.

There are no external rules restricting Christmas ads aimed at adults

The rules state: ‘Christmas themed children’s advertising may not be broadcast prior to November 1 each year. Christmas themed children’s advertising refers to advertising that contains references, either visual or acoustic, to Christmas."
Full Story: The Sunday Business Post On line (10/10/10) - RTE hopes for an early Christmas

My Comments:
1) They should not do it Christmas ads are already being shown early enough (usually almost as soon as Halloween is over) they do not need to be any earlier

2) This will just sour people on Christmas because by the time Christmas actually comes we will have had over 2 month of bloody Christmas ads (and I say this as somebody who is a fan of Christmas and Christmas ads!!!)

revolution

oh god,i hope they leave us be untill after halloween.
i started seeing christmas displays last week

generally i like christmas but not too early

Ah Well

The additional ad revenue will be handy to fire into the black hole aka the RTE Broadcasters' Salaries along with TV Licence fees

spotty

This is just the kick up the arse Spotty needed.

Only 70 shopping days left to Christmas, and not a present wrapped.

Samell

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we all know when Christmas is we don't need reminding from October onwards FFS

myksav

What do you mean considering? They're already playing the adverts*. :mad: Haven't even had Halloween yet.

I suppose the idea is to get the adverts out and playing and us buying before the budget makes us zip/sew our pockets shut.

edit, at least on radio.

redhead101

Hate early Christmas ads, but if it helps keep businesses afloat, I wouldn't really complain.

New Threads

Most Replies