RTE deficit .. warns of “serious financial position”

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That's one message no consultant is ever going to put on a powerpoint slide deck. 'The management need a kick up the arse'. It would have to be something like 'In view of the supreme gorgeousness of the board and their ability to bestride the universe like a colossus of wisdom we recommend a strategy time-out, preferably at great expense somewhere like Lake Garda or Tahiti'.

artfoley56

nobody in RTE seems to get that loads of foreign imports and repeats is not public service programming, neither is paying wedges of cash to untalented and unchallenged insiders.

wind up RTE2, 2fm and get rid of those with "production companies". nobody who works for RTE should be anything but a PAYE employee.

RTE has to realise that all the imported shows are available on netflix etc so theyre wasting money hand over foot. do they honestly think theyd see shortland street or simpsons repeats on PBS?

Uganda

nobody in RTE seems to get that loads of foreign imports and repeats is not public service programming, neither is paying wedges of cash to untalented and unchallenged insiders.

wind up RTE2, 2fm and get rid of those with "production companies". nobody who works for RTE should be anything but a PAYE employee.

RTE has to realise that all the imported shows are available on netflix etc so theyre wasting money hand over foot. do they honestly think theyd see shortland street or simpsons repeats on PBS?
it would be a very interesting excercise to track the total hours broadcast over a week by RTÉ and see exactly how many hours “public service broadcasting“ there are as % of total.

would fair city qualify as PSb?

would whineline?

would Francis Brennan trotting through Asia?

A Voice

ridiculous article here from the times.

My takeaway from that article is that "we" (Laura and her libloon colleagues at the Irish Times) want the state broadcaster to produce implausible asylum propaganda masquerading as a cop show, and that is somehow its role.

Be assured that if RTÉ produced a drama centred on scams and asylum abuse, Laura would not be happy.

artfoley56

My takeaway from that article is that "we" (Laura and her libloon colleagues at the Irish Times) want the state broadcaster to produce implausible asylum propaganda masquerading as a cop show, and that is somehow its role.

Be assured that if RTÉ produced a drama centred on scams and asylum abuse, Laura would not be happy.
that was my takeaway too. no surprise that with reasoning like that both RTE and the times are heading for the wall

wombat

Listening to a yuppie in a restaurant complaining that Varadkar didn't value RTE and how much she enjoys listening to Lyric. I was thinking that I pay to watch Sky sports and Netflix but it would never enter her mind to pay a subscription to a classical music station. :)

Betson

That drama she was talking about at the start was awful dire stuff , not talking about he subject matter , have no issue with that but the execution of it as an interesting or entertaining drama was very poor. Tuned out after a few episodes.

Same with the 'Dublin Murderers' series that was on recently , think it was a co production with the BBC. It was all over the place and needlessly confusing and rambling with no real conclusions.

I did think that Love/Hate was decent enough , think it was written by the same lad who wrote the one about the asylum drama , much better job on Love/Hate when he was not trying to be all PC preachy.

Dame_Enda

They could start by bringing down the top salaries. It is absurd how many of them earn more than the President of the United States.

A Voice

That drama she was talking about at the start was awful dire stuff , not talking about he subject matter , have no issue with that but the execution of it as an interesting or entertaining drama was very poor. Tuned out after a few episodes.

Same with the 'Dublin Murderers' series that was on recently , think it was a co production with the BBC. It was all over the place and needlessly confusing and rambling with no real conclusions.

I did think that Love/Hate was decent enough , think it was written by the same lad who wrote the one about the asylum drama , much better job on Love/Hate when he was not trying to be all PC preachy.
Agree completely. The asylum drama was dire. Womyn front and centre leading the investigation was a harbinger of things to come. Soft-focus maudlin treatment of the fugees was another item on the SJW checklist taken care of.

Dublin Murders was dreadful and gave the impression that very few people from Dublin had anything to do with it. I couldn't take more than 5 minutes at a time.

Love/Hate was good but always in a hurry, because they had no idea if they'd get another series so they wrapped storylines up too quick. Contrast with top-end US stuff like Sopranos, Breaking Bad etc.

constitutionus

Politics has ALWAYS fuked up productions at rte.
There's a reason a country that's turned out comedian after comedian can't produce a decent comedy year after year. Bleeding youtube has a better hit rate than rte on that front.
I remember when live/hate started. Everyone in montrose from Joe to turbudy HATED it. With Joe goin so far to say it was an attack on the working class (like rte know them)
Course when it proved a hit they all changed their tune.
Trying to make quality at rte must be a nightmare in "wokeness"

A Voice

Politics has ALWAYS fuked up productions at rte.
There's a reason a country that's turned out comedian after comedian can't produce a decent comedy year after year. Bleeding youtube has a better hit rate than rte on that front.
I remember when live/hate started. Everyone in montrose from Joe to turbudy HATED it. With Joe goin so far to say it was an attack on the working class (like rte know them)
Course when it proved a hit they all changed their tune.
Trying to make quality at rte must be a nightmare in "wokeness"
Love/Hate started playing the woke game itself in the last series. Remember the Noble Savage (traveller) who is morally head and shoulders above the feral urban scum of Nidge and his buddies. That was straight from the SJW manual.

SuirView

They could start by bringing down the top salaries. It is absurd how many of them earn more than the President of the United States.
Does Trump even take a wage?

wombat

RTE will always suffer in comparison to the BBC but maybe they should look at smaller state broadcasters instead. Radio is much cheaper than TV so maybe they would be better off concentrating resources there rather than on TV. If you think of it, the variety of programs on RTE radio is far greater than on RTE1&2 TV. On the subject of radio, if they have to merge their stations, we may see music programs replace some of the luvvie talk fests

artfoley56

RTE will always suffer in comparison to the BBC but maybe they should look at smaller state broadcasters instead. Radio is much cheaper than TV so maybe they would be better off concentrating resources there rather than on TV. If you think of it, the variety of programs on RTE radio is far greater than on RTE1&2 TV. On the subject of radio, if they have to merge their stations, we may see music programs replace some of the luvvie talk fests
simple solution: fillet the bejaysus out of montrose and leave only TG4, RnaG and lyric standing.

then move production to barna or somewhere like that and sell off the rest of montrose.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies