• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Uganda

IT reports this morning that RTÉ is facing a financial crisis. Among the more interesting gems it provides is that in 2016 it had 1,987 employees, whereas at end 2018 this was 1,822 - a reduction of 165. ( They had targeted a reduction of between 200/300 In a voluntary redundancy plan). Despite this employee costs increased by €20 m in last 5 years.

the cost per employee in 2018 was 100k plus.

so, should the govt (I.e. you and me) dig deeper to keep the good ship RTÉ afloat?

or should they cut their cloth to suit their measure?

redneck

One hundred and sixty euros, is that too much to pay for "Irish" television. Ok it is really Fine Gael state propaganda, but anyway it is better than UTV or the BBC in my opinion.

artfoley56

IT reports this morning that RTÉ is facing a financial crisis. Among the more interesting gems it provides is that in 2016 it had 1,987 employees, whereas at end 2018 this was 1,822 - a reduction of 165. ( They had targeted a reduction of between 200/300 In a voluntary redundancy plan). Despite this employee costs increased by €20 m in last 5 years.

the cost per employee in 2018 was 100k plus.

so, should the govt (I.e. you and me) dig deeper to keep the good ship RTÉ afloat?

or should they cut their cloth to suit their measure?
keep TG4 and RnaG (the real public service broadcasters) and get rid of the rest

fifilawe

cut live broadcasting on air by 50%.cut the TV time on air to 3pm to 12 midnight mon - fri.12 noon to 12 midnight weekends to cover special events and sport.Scrap 2fm. Merge Radio 1 and Lyric and cut on air staff by 30%.RNG should broadcast 8am to noon and 6pm to 10 daily MON -sun.
reduce licence to €100 per annum for a set period of 5 years , to be reviewed at the end of the 5 years.The board of RTé must have a cross section of ages, gender , interests reflecting the general population not old men from a privileged(Insiders club) class that are out of touch with under 40s never mind under 25s.It is a dinosaurs club, for dinosaurs, run by dinosaurs.

between the bridges

cut live broadcasting on air by 50%.cut the TV time on air to 3pm to 12 midnight mon - fri.12 noon to 12 midnight weekends to cover special events and sport.Scrap 2fm. Merge Radio 1 and Lyric and cut on air staff by 30%.RNG should broadcast 8am to noon and 6pm to 10 daily MON -sun.
reduce licence to €100 per annum for a set period of 5 years , to be reviewed at the end of the 5 years.The board of RTé must have a cross section of ages, gender , interests reflecting the general population not old men from a privileged(Insiders club) class that are out of touch with under 40s never mind under 25s.It is a dinosaurs club, for dinosaurs, run by dinosaurs.
Or just play the Angelus all day...

rainmaker

Administrator
I hate all state broadcasters especially the despicable scum that are the BBC this is the 21st century there is no need for them
And yet the BBC is one of the most highly regarded and sought after broadcasters in the world - do you have any idea how popular the BBC and its programs are in Ireland and around the world?

carlovian

Can’t understand the need for Radio 2 or why Rte has two orchestras with average wages of 120,000.

But I do think the current affairs is needed although why they get three months holidays is beyond me.

The issue is not helped by the “stars” on huge money when they are mediocre at best.

omgsquared

I think there are also a few old girls in the club.

wombat

One hundred and sixty euros, is that too much to pay for "Irish" television.
I think its too much to pay for what RTE delivers. I can see the argument for subsidising minority interests but the lotto draw is a public service?

wombat

The issue is not helped by the “stars” on huge money when they are mediocre at best.
My pet hobby horse. RTE could give new presenters a start, let them develop their talent and if they're good enough they can move to private broadcasting for more money. Instead its a preserve of geriatrics who never made it elsewhere.

jmcc

IT reports this morning that RTÉ is facing a financial crisis.
Again?

How much has it spent on 2FM. It was set up to be a competitor to the Pirate stations. Many of the Pirates got licences and basically demolished 2FM/RTE in their local markets. But RTE continues to waste tens of millions on it.

Angler

60 Euro would be tolerable , but 160 is just taking the piss , I pay it and it rankles. Loose the showbiz "Star" nonsense , and use it partly as a training facility for new talent and also for genuine Public Service Broadcasting .

gijoe

Haven't paid it for years. Get the odd letter and the odd inspector visit but I don't open the door to them. If I do get nabbed I will pay rather than take it to Court as I know that's a waste of time and money. RTE's pay structure is grotesque plus they were paying up to half a million for 'talent' who would never get that money across the water. They are also showing shows the Beeb had 6 months or so ago. A waste of space of a station. Let it go fully commercial and let the government tender out for some domestic programming.

de valera's' giddy goat

It's way past time to end the practise of some of it's 'stars' being non staff and working on contract in order to get exorbitant salaries. If anything they should be on less than RTE staff members.

The lack of critical insight into the previous government's performance in the covid crisis is maddening, softball interviews with tubridy doesn't cut it. The radio section has some merit and I wouldn't completely get rid of it.

But then you get guff like this from some of its stars...

jmcc

Didn't the BBC give Tubridy a try-out where he performed the standard RTE trick of losing audience numbers? Don't think he's ever been invited back.

Super Caley

And yet the BBC is one of the most highly regarded and sought after broadcasters in the world - do you have any idea how popular the BBC and its programs are in Ireland and around the world?
Agreed

But RTE is, alas, no BBC.

One of the most obvious differences is that with RTE, not only are you legally obliged to pay for the thing, but having done so you then have to sit through endless adverts on the rare occasions that you might ever actually want to watch it. It's the worst of both worlds; You have to pay and then have adds. And that's not just irritating for the viewer. RTE are compromised as serious journalists by being so dependent on the vested interests who pay their advertising revenue.

I do think there is a place for a genuine public service broadcaster. One that concentrates on high quality journalism, niche interests (including Irish language etc) and maybe keeping a handful of major sporting events free to air. But leave to light entertainment to the commercial channels.

If they have a justifiable future it is as a genuine PBS type set up, a sort of mini version of the better bits of the BBC.

de valera's' giddy goat

Didn't the BBC give Tubridy a try-out where he performed the standard RTE trick of losing audience numbers? Don't think he's ever been invited back.
He did a summer stint with radio 2 years ago i believe, he's no Terry Wogan

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom