RTE go to town on Gardai for Student demo reaction

alonso

Anyone watchin the news? RTE report on the Gardai reaction last week was trial by media at its best or worst, depending on your perspective.

I agree with the piece, but it's unlike RTE to be so biased. They completely trashed the Gardai.

SideysGhost

Well the Gardaí are trash, so...

Corrupt, unaccountable, thuggish and brutish vigilante gang that has got away with far too much for far too long. This is no "police" service, they are paid enforcers of the entrenched parasite class, with one mission in life: keep the little people bate down.

slippy wicket

How is standing up to crustie scum wrong.
Should have set the dogs on the eirigi and rsf nobs.

neiphin

they know their days are numbered,
got to follow a different horse now
follow the populace

slx

Well, looking at the footage from that report, it does look like the Gardai reacted in a very over-the-top way, to put it mildly.

Attacking protesters for no reason other than they are protesting is what fascist states do.

There are going to be a LOT of protests over the next few months because of the budget and if the Gardai over-react or behave in anything other than a professional manner, there will be utter chaos and things could turn very nasty.

The Gardai must behave 100% professionally in these situations, they can't just go around breaking heads.

He3

Making up for their coverage on the day.

Trans-Siberian

I suppose its easier for the Gardai to beat up innocent and harmless students than to face up to the real thugs in our society.

budgie29

Anyone watchin the news? RTE report on the Gardai reaction last week was trial by media at its best or worst, depending on your perspective.

I agree with the piece, but it's unlike RTE to be so biased. They completely trashed the Gardai.
too right. The gardai love nothing more than to kick around easy targets like students. Remember 'Robocop' a few years ago. Bashing harmless hippies and stoners at free the streets rally.

There was obviously a few leftie wackos but the response was totally disproportionate.

I would love to be in a rally to storm the Dail and restore deomocracy !

slx

My concern is that if the Gardaí react like this to what was a minor protest, how are they going to react to serious protests when the budget starts to hit home?

If they continue down this route, one can quite clearly predict, without much difficulty or incredible insight into the Irish psyche, what will happen - there will be a mini revolution. All it will take is one policing disaster i.e. someone gets killed or badly injured, and they'll be as popular as the RUC.

He3

Is Garda management hiding behind the frontline members again?

Scipio

Corrupt, unaccountable, thuggish and brutish vigilante gang that has got away with far too much for far too long. This is no "police" service, they are paid enforcers of the entrenched parasite class, with one mission in life: keep the little people bate down.
Is this Cael under another name?

alonso

A few thoughts:

In 1995 The Gardai waded in and bet the fcking sh1te out of the English hooligans in Lansdowne Road. That was perfectly fine given the context.

In 2002, the May Day riot turned very very ugly and many believe the Guards were way OTT that day as well.

We've all seen Guards draggin and fcking protesters into ditches at Bellanaboy.

Now this.

They have form in this regard. To see the footage of the young girl being flung to the ground unconscious by someone who is paid to protect the welfare of society was fcking shocking, absolutely fcking shocking. This was a group of students, not your rent-a-mob ne'er do wells. The Guards are supposed to be capable, like every fcking one of us, of spotting the difference between a 19 year old student and a threat to society. They failed and I hope those responsible never see the streets of Dublin again as a Guard.

RTE have been selling us a pup for a decade with their total obedience to the establishment. Maybe they've started paying us back.

No one, and I mean absolutely no one, who watched the news tonight could possibly defend the actions of An Garda Siochana last week. In my opinion, it was vile.

Last edited:

slx

Well, when you consider how poorly the Gardai reacted to minor protests before i.e. over-agressive and totally unprofessional policing, you can see what might happen.

They're good at community policing and at day-to-day stuff, but they're totally unprofessional in these kinds of unusual situations. When you compare that footage, to how the Metropolitan Police in London react to regular protests, you can see a vast difference in behaviour.

I don't necessarily think that it's because the Gardaí are intending to cause problems, rather that they are completely untrained and unable to deal with a riot situation without resorting to ridiculous baton charges and thuggish behaviour.

I would feel far safer in a protest situation in London than I would in Dublin.

Incidentally, I also thought is was extremely weird the way they over-reacted to the "unauthorised" portrait of Cowen that appeared in the national gallery i.e. arresting and holding the artist over what was political satire. It was more like what you would expect in China than Ireland.

There's something not quite right with how the Gardaí behave in these situations. It's most definitely not the model of community policing they claim to be upholding.

If the Gardai lose the trust of the people through idiotic behaviour like this, we are on a slippery slope to utter chaos within a few months.

All it would take is a single spectacular incident i.e. someone is killed, brain damaged or paralyzed and you will have the whole country up in arms in a matter of days.

Green eyed monster

It is hard to defend them when you see those video clips. They are the forces of law and order with a duty of care to the citizens of this country, standards must apply to them and they fell short.

Probably also had something to do with the crowd they were attacking too, students are in virtually every home across the country, rich as well as poor. It's like beating on old ladies.

Now if it had been a purely Republican demonstration that might possibly have elicited more sympathy for the energy fueling the cops' baton arms.

jsmill

Are Gardai so special they need training to prevent them beating a young girl unconscious?

fun tzu

I think you should lose your right to protection by the Gardai when you participate in a riot.

If you watch the video they reference on RTE a girl shouts "We're not here to fight the Gardai, would everyone please sit down" half way through. I'm afraid at that point they had lost their rights to being treated as a peaceful protest. Anyone still there once the crowd had started to attack the Gardai was a part of the riot and can't claim to have been peacefully protesting.

Luigi Vampa

Strange that the same Police force that came out and called its government corrupt continually defend it.

If I were the Guards, I'd let protestors burn the so called “dail eireann” to the ground, and maybe we'd have a chance to start again with a new republic.

We are angry, we have been betrayed and we are disillusioned. But I do not believe it is yet understood just how angry we are. And that anger will find an outlet, the anger that we feel will find its target.

We are angry at being portrayed as self-serving, overpaid, under-worked and dishonest people with overly generous pensions that we don’t pay for. Yes, there are public servants who fit into that category; they are represented by you and your colleagues, not us.

We are angry that we, our children and our children’s children have been sacrificed by this government to protect the people who bankrolled your party and robbed the Irish People.

The government of which you are a long serving member has mismanaged the wealth of this country for more than a decade by allowing our assets to be plundered and robbed by bankers and speculators and you are making generations of Irish workers pay the price for this treachery.That GRA speech - Indymedia Ireland

Catalpa

Keep on smokin the ganja man!:cool:

Sure some are bad apples but the vast majority are decent men & women doing a hard job.

As for this riot take it from me who has seen quite a few that the Gardai always mean what they say.

Those people went there looking for trouble

- & found it.

If the Gardai had their hands tied on this then next time out every Toerag from miles around would be heading into town for a piece of the action

- & knowing the Garda will be under orders to go easy to avoid bad publicity.

Then there would be a Public outcry for the Garda to do something

New Threads

Most Replies