• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

RTE : Graphics and accuracy

gerhard dengler

Just watching the late night weather forecast on RTE1 now.

Atlatic Ocean is on the west coast of this country apparently.

Last week on the 6 One News the Euro reached 1.21 against the dollar too apparently.
The newscaster quoted this figure verbatim.
It didn't occur her that the previous day's rate was 9 cent higher.........

:roll:

Davidoff

It's not unique to RTE.

I knew Newsnight was in trouble when it described someone as winning a 'Noble Prize.'

Standards ain't what they used to be.

Pudna

Last week on the 6 One News the Euro reached 1.21 against the dollar too apparently.

Is that the weather forecast that covers the world everywhere from the Seychelles to Vladivostock and Chile? The forecasts are getting weirder and weirder and more incoherent. Standards in RTE are dropping by the day, it is not unusual to hear 'guests' talk at length about things they do not even pretend to have a basic understanding of.........for example Mary Wilson and Aine Lawlor chatting to their buddy Dessie about sport. Perhaps you should rename the thread RTE- Accuracy, then we can refer to it each day on perceived inaccurate or incomplete reporting.

Munnkeyman

Ooops.

gerhard dengler

Is that the weather forecast that covers the world everywhere from the Seychelles to Vladivostock and Chile? The forecasts are getting weirder and weirder. Standards in RTE are dropping by the day!
It was the forecast with a graphic showing Ireland and Britain with the Atlatic Ocean.

The worldwide weather forecasts are weird, I agree.

@Western: the f/x gaffe was inexcusable.

Pudna

The hazards of posting from one's phone.
What are your thoughts on my suggestion that perhaps you should rename the thread RTE- Accuracy, Omissions and Errors, then we can refer to it each day on perceived inaccurate or incomplete reporting and also for errors.

Davidoff

What are your thoughts on my suggestion that perhaps you should rename the thread RTE- Accuracy, Omissions and Errors, then we can refer to it each day on perceived inaccurate or incomplete reporting and also for errors.
The server couldn't cope with the volume.

gerhard dengler

I've no problem with your suggestion.

I'll amend the thread title to whatever you wish.

Is "RTE Graphics : Accuracy, Omissions and Errors" preferable?

The Herren

Fair observation - standards have really dipped in recent times. Even ads are not immune. Has anyone noticed that a PR company hired by Beds Etc ( as in Etcetera) cannot even pronounce the name of the brand they have been hired to promote, they repeatedly refer to Beds Ecetera . This has been going on for months so it seems to me that the company itself thinks that etcetera is pronounced ecetera!!

Jack White

Every few days without fail there's a glaring spelling clanger on the RTE website... the German Chancellory and so on.

WTF are they teaching them in Journalism school these days ? Respect for language isn't it, at any rate.

Analyzer

Maybe it is because Pravda are not being paid enough ?

Oh hold on a minute......

cricket

But, isn't the Atlantic west and south of this country ?

Killerbank

Talking of the RTE weather forecasts on radio and television:

what exactly do they mean by "fresh" in relation to weather???

cricket

Talking of the RTE weather forecasts on radio and television:

what exactly do they mean by "fresh" in relation to weather???
A bit of a breeze, anything short of a hurricane :).

SideysGhost

Anyone putting "RTE" and "accuracy" in the same sentence is just asking for trouble. That shower of mongs haven't got anything right in 40 years or more.