RTE - Growing up gifted.

YesSireeeBob

RTÉ Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online

anybody watch this?

Generally a nice bunch of people but they should seriously consider not going around telling people that they're clever.

These kids are bright but I wouldn't consider any of them geniuses ie not really worthy of an hour on TV!

I felt sorry for the young fella who mother had cancer and who's father was awol.

Gavin, the older guy, told us he was clever. If he was so clever he would have the cop on not to say such a thing.

he got in the junior cert 4 As and 6 Bs

irish B eng A maths A French B Business B music B

would it be fair to say most fairly bright and hard working students would get those results?

Illustro

He was also 16 when he got these not exactly miraculous Junior Cert results. I was 16 when I did my leaving cert.

Gifted my arse.

Riadach

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts their parents work in RTE.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Ha ha!

Heard about this alright and gotta admit that was my very first thought. Only the most adoring parent could consider that 4 As in the Junior Cert merited a programme about being gifted.

Q-Tours

How else do you get on that type of documentary?

That said, there are some very bright and gifted kids in CTYI, and they get a lot out of the more advanced material they are introduced to.

The problem (and it doesn't arise by choice of the organisers) is that it's a middle-class preserve, and if one kid in Mount Anville gets in, a competition starts among the mummies and daddies to get their Little Dawrling in because she must be just as bright.

Meanwhile, the bright kid in the Community School who really would benefit from CTYI doesn't have a fart's chance in a hurricane of affording the cost.

jmcc

It is the kids who have any spark of genius that I feel sorry for - especially when they have to cope with the Irish educational system and its perpetuation of mediocrity by the largely mediocre. What the RTE people consider gifted might be just your average, well adjusted, A student.

Regards...jmcc

Casualbets

anybody watch this?

Generally a nice bunch of people but they should seriously consider not going around telling people that they're clever.
I didn't watch this, but but I have to admit that I had an over-powering desire to take that impossibly smug southside brat ("They think just because you're better you're bad....Oh well, that's Ireland for you....") in the ad's glasses, throw them on the floor and grind them into smithereens while pointing my finger into his face whilst sneering "That'll learn ye for being such an annoying little speccy knowitall".

This admittedly wouldn't be usually considered with normal socially acceptable boundaries of behaviour between a 39 year old and a 9 year old, but I think you will agree that in this case that there are extenuating circumstances ie that the 9 year old in question is an impossibly smug and annoying southside speccy knowitall....

Casualbets

That's nothing. I managed nearly the entire alphabet.

By fifth class. anyway.
The Alphabet in fifth class was as remote and as puzzling to me as the mysteries surrounding the Immaculate Conception and the Resurrection. In fact marginally more so. And don't even get me started on the number of days in each month. Good thing that wasn't a required subject in the Leaving Cert.....

Agus

Gavin, the older guy, told us he was clever. If he was so clever he would have the cop on not to say such a thing.

would it be fair to say most fairly bright and hard working students would get those results?
I didn't see the programme myself but someone who did says that this boy wanted to skip 3rd year and go straight into 5th year but the school would not allow it and he had to do the Junior Cert first. In order to get into 5th year he sat the JC without having attended 3rd year or studied for it.

derm0t

But these kids are gifted: gifted with Middle Class Southside parents and the inborn (inbred) sense of entitlement that flows thereof like the waters of the Nile.

Those of us begat of Culchie Knackers (oh, the shame of emerging from a rural vagina is a burden to be borne unto Death) shall never glow like these radiant beings. We follow them like the debris of a comet, concomitant dross illuminated by their reflected light.

Fortunate am I, hapless spawn of Arkla Town, to kneel at the feet of this young man, who henceforth shall be known, in honour of his grades, as A-B-B-A. Upon his graduation from UCD or TCD, he shall rise in the Civil Service, win a secure pension, bride, house and 2.5 children, and the life cycle shall be complete. His sons may even, if lucky, be sent to the British mainland for a proper education.

It's the least that ABBA could do for HIS children...to give them the opportunities that he never had.

Now ye begrudgers shud shurrup an drink nyer nyater.

D

Deleted member 17573

Most gifted kids I have encountered were as thick as two short planks or, at best, average - but the mummies and daddies had decided they were gifted and needed a change of school where their abilities would be better challenged. The teachers in the old schools were genuinely greatly relieved - not so much to be rid of the kids but to be shut of the delusional parents.

New Threads

Most Replies