RTE: Losses may be €20 million this year. RTE boss meets Minister.

YesSireeeBob

Seems the minister has ruled out a licence fee increase or communications charge and they are going to concentrate on evasion.

There's a very simple solution: Get Sky / UPC / Eir to collect the licence on their monthly bills - €13.30 per month.

The problem is An Post gets about €14 million a year to collect the licence and they want Sky / UPC / Eir to give them their customers details so An Post can continue to collect the licence.

An post made €8.6m in 2015, so the TV licence is sort of a subsidy for both RTE and An Post.

So if the minister solves the RTE problem, he creates a much bigger and political one with An Post.

One solution would be for An Post to 'process' the RTE licence fee, so Sky / UPC / Eir would collect the money, give it to An Post and An Post would get the €9.87 fee per licence, or a smaller amount for optics.

The real problem for RTE is that if their services were optional they would lose a massive amount of income.
Young people, foreigners, people who prefer the internet, would completely abandon RTE.
This would affect the quality of the programs and more people would switch off, a vicious circle.

But so what, in 5 or 10 years we will have very few print newspapers, if any - what's so special about RTE?

How can RTE report about the real world if they don't even live in it?

Cutbacks loom at RTE as Brexit ad hit pushes losses towards
Ryan Tubridy €495,000 Joe Duffy €400,000 Marian Finucane €295,000, Sean O’Rourke €290,000 Miriam O’Callaghan €280,000.
The organisation is now projecting losses of up €20m in the current year, with advertising agency executives suggesting that TV advertising will be down 20pc in October due to Brexit uncertainty.

Most of the larger advertisers manage their budgets from London. The fall in sterling, combined with caution about spending it, is squeezing spending.

This week, new director general of Dee Forbes met with Minister for Communications Denis Naughten to impress upon him the seriousness of the financial difficulties facing the organisation.

RTE had been seeking the introduction of a new broadcasting charge to bolster its coffers.

However, Minister Naughten has ruled that out.
RTE's biggest hope for a funding boost now lies in licence fee collection.

High evasion levels are costing around €30m a year, and RTE wants the contract, currently held by An Post, put out to tender

benroe

Its absolutely incredible that a broadcasting organisation funded by advertising and a compulsory national tax can be both empty of content and running at a loss.

PC Principle

RTÉ is a pile of second rate horse sh/te that nobody needs or wants. All the UK channels give you what you want and are provided by far superior operators.

If it can't turn a profit it shouldn't be bailed out. Just let it die.

As for their stupid makey-uppey accents........

State Broadcasting suits places like North Korea.

ruserious

My biggest gripe with RTÉ (beside the Angelus of course...Dong Dong) is that the website does not update in the middle of the night if there is breaking news somewhere. There should always be someone on the newsteam 24/7 to update the site and App for very important breaking news stories.

milipod

My biggest gripe with RTÉ (beside the Angelus of course...Dong Dong) is that the website does not update in the middle of the night if there is breaking news somewhere. There should always be someone on the newsteam 24/7 to update the site and App for very important breaking news stories.
They are in Lillie's.

gerhard dengler

RTE is spending hundreds of thousands, probably running in to millions, of euros with the likes of PWC and Ernst & Young annually.

The means to this end is that "we paid for professional advice"

GDPR

Personally, I'm happy to pay the license fee just for TG4 and Raidió na Gaeltachta. I would be willing to pay more than I do now. I never watch or listen to the English language services. The few times I'm forced to hear them, as when in a taxi for example, I'm sickened by what I hear.

gleeful

I'm not normally in favour of privatization... but RTE should be sold while it still has some value.

Jack O Neill

Its absolutely incredible that a broadcasting organisation funded by advertising and a compulsory national tax can be both empty of content and running at a loss.
Not when you pay a char lady to pop in for an hour or so on a sat and sunday 400k ,

benroe

When we built our house in 1990 we had no idea that we would not be able to pick up RTE, a few of us went together and rigged up a "deflector" that kinda worked for a few months, we could pick up the BBCs and ITV so we never fixed it.
The TV licence van came around and threatened us with prosecution but nothing came of it and the four households on our road have never paid the fee.

Hunter-Gatherer

They are all overpaid for employees of a tiny media company in a small country. They seem to benchmark their salaries vis a vis UK giants. Its like the manager of Shamrock Rovers earning Barcelona wages. Same job, different world.

nomahdi

Ryan Tubridy €495,000 Joe Duffy €400,000 Marian Finucane €295,000, Sean O’Rourke €290,000 Miriam O’Callaghan €280,000..
Ryan Tubridy: spins pro Pat Hickey, drowns out criticism of Redacted, eggs on FF ...
Joe Duffy: ditto re Hickey, shills for every establishment position in sight
Marian Finucane: has yet to master the basics of her trade, like minimal objectivity and the English language
ORourke and OCallaghan: should be on FFs payroll and NOT yours and mine.

If one of them even vaguely kept their side of the bargain, theyd be worth a quarter of what they cream off what turns out to be a red balance sheet ...

Bravo, RTE.

Mrwoody

Tubirdy does 5 one hour radio shows a week and one 3 hour tv program for half a million thats an eight hour week, who did he ride or bribe to get this its just totally amazing.

New Threads

Most Replies