• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

RTE Music, 150+ professionals that you pay for...do you agree ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
RTE as well as providing TV,Radio & Web content also has a "Peforming groups" section. There are 5 groups and some 150+ costly professionals associated with them.
RT - Orchestras

The flagship of these groups is the National Symphony Orchestra, its ~90 players are dedicated to classical music and perform regularly in Dublin. Personally I enjoy classical music but find it ridiculous that the State subsidises the sector so massively. Ironically(?) Ireland's only world class classical group, The Crash Ensemble, is outside the RTE studios

cYp

ruserious

The only state funded band should be the Army band.

Eire1976

There would be no classical music if left to corporate entities.

It doesn't make as much as some skanger with their pants hanging down around their arse for some reason.

deepness

Would rather pay for them than this rubbish..

[video=youtube;nZYQluJW-dM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZYQluJW-dM[/video]

How BOC still has this show is beyond me.

realistic1

RTE as well as providing TV,Radio & Web content also has a "Peforming groups" section. There are 5 groups and some 150+ costly professionals associated with them.
RT - Orchestras

The flagship of these groups is the National Symphony Orchestra, its ~90 players are dedicated to classical music and perform regularly in Dublin. Personally I enjoy classical music but find it ridiculous that the State subsidises the sector so massively. Ironically(?) Ireland's only world class classical group, The Crash Ensemble, is outside the RTE studios

cYp
Well they have to spend the Licence fee on something, so why not give jobs to sons & daughters of the elites, who have spent a lot of cash sending them to Classical music lessons.

statsman

RT - Orchestras

cYp
There are eight good reasons for funding RTE; the five groups you mention, South Wind Blows, Blue of the Night and Nova.

realistic1

because a gullible Irish population watches the langer????

borntorum

In every advanced democracy, the state supports high art that would not survive purely by market forces.

D

Dylan2010

There are eight good reasons for funding RTE; the five groups you mention, South Wind Blows, Blue of the Night and Nova.
meh , 160€ X 2million could buy a lot of concert tickets if even a small numbers of these people go to classical events

lies

Twitter
yes
Well they have to spend the Licence fee on something, so why not give jobs to sons & daughters of the elites, who have spent a lot of cash sending them to Classical music lessons.
Not even vaguely true... aside from instrument purchase, which can be accomplished in many ways, music instruction is relatively cheap - plus, music, unlike so so much of what parents spend money on, is going to benefit a large number of kids for their whole life, unlike Scouts or - shudder - GAA.

statsman

meh , 160€ X 2million could buy a lot of concert tickets if even a small numbers of these people go to classical events
But who would play if nobody was employing the musicians?

R3volution_R3ady

The way this country is operated......seems like the whole nation should be on disability benefit.

daveL

corp proxy has filtered that but I can only presume that it must be of that deluded, high off her own ass, hag Linda Martin doing Daft Punk in drag...

Every single licence payer should be refunded this year's fee on the basis of those three minutes..

D

Dylan2010

Not even vaguely true... aside from instrument purchase, which can be accomplished in many ways, music instruction is relatively cheap - plus, music, unlike so so much of what parents spend money on, is going to benefit a large number of kids for their whole life, unlike Scouts or - shudder - GAA.
I wouldn't say cheap, music fees in our house is running at about a grand a year each plus about 250 a year on maintenance and materials. To get a kid good enough to play in a professional orchestra would probably cost a minimum of 20K to 30K up until they start earning a living somehow and that would be before a third level music college one assumes.

D

Dylan2010

But who would play if nobody was employing the musicians?
I dont quite get the question , musicians either are amateur and dont get paid much or they could work with a orchestra that is in demand and get paid a wage if it takes up most of their time. They would get paid by the venue that hires them. There is no more need of civil servant musicians then there need be civil servant soccer players.

realistic1

I got Guitar lessons for my son at 20 euro an hour, could not class this as "relatively cheap" Have a look at the makeup and background of the RTE Chamber orchastra and you will see there is no shortage of cash in their backgrounds.

statsman

I dont quite get the question , musicians either are amateur and dont get paid much or they could work with a orchestra that is in demand and get paid a wage if it takes up most of their time. They would get paid by the venue that hires them. There is no more need of civil servant musicians then there need be civil servant soccer players.
There isn't a proper classical orchestra in the world that survives off ticket sales.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies