RTE news correspondents . do they not go to broadcasting schools and take elocution lessons

cranberry1

Just watching RTE news here in America and couldn't help to notice the " eh eh em er em er eh " when correspondents are talking
I only notice this with Irish correspondents , do you not have broadcasting college in Ireland .

Last edited:

Sync

No, but as a country we have a reasonable standard of written english. Why doesn't your country?

mac tíre

Just watching RTE news here in America and couldn't help to notice the " eh eh " when correspondents are talking
I only notice this with Irish correspondents , do you not have broad casting college in Ireland .
What is a casting college and what makes it broad?

Full stops are handy - you should use them where required. Where you did use one, it should have been a question mark.

We pity you, so all this education we provide for you day and daily is free.

cranberry1

I just saw eh eh Leotard on the RTE news on his immigration recruitment mission to Africa, and he's just as bad as the interviewer .:lol:

Last edited:

TweetyBird

I actually agree with you that the standard isn't great and they should get training to get rid of the ums, ams, ehs and so on.

Dearghoul

Just watching RTE news here in America and couldn't help to notice the " eh eh " when correspondents are talking
I only notice this with Irish correspondents , do you not have broad casting college in Ireland .
You seem to have some native Irish colloquialisms to hand yourself; Something some of our resident North American Trolls would envy you.

milipod

[video=youtube;AioJbNL1JS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioJbNL1JS8[/video]

OrderoftheDragon

Never mind the fake news channel......

Goldenhyena

View attachment 1492
I know what you mean and where you're coming from. Some people on Irish media say "am" after every sentence, it seems. People on Irish state television tend to have little talent or positive attributes.
Above, in photo, this gentleman stammers his way through his irrelevant program and has done so for decades. Nobody at state media ever gets fired.

cranberry1

View attachment 1492
I know what you mean and where you're coming from. Some people on Irish media say "am" after every sentence, it seems. People on Irish state television tend to have little talent or positive attributes.
Above, in photo, this gentleman stammers his way through his irrelevant program and has done so for decades. Nobody at state media ever gets fired.
Got you , so I'm guessing there all part of the Irish oligarchy who control the sheep in Ireland .

raetsel

You seem to have some native Irish colloquialisms to hand yourself; Something some of our resident North American Trolls would envy you.
Another Plastic Yank here to troll us, I'm afraid...................the kind that practise sounding like Al Pacino on the flight out, and have mastered a very bad Brooklyn accent (á l Dick Van Dyke) within a fortnight. :)

cranberry1

Another Plastic Yank here to troll us, I'm afraid...................the kind that practise sounding like Al Pacino on the flight out, and have mastered a very bad Brooklyn accent (á l Dick Van Dyke) within a fortnight. :)
Now now , I just was pointing out how unprofessional Irish journalists are and there um's and eh's and er's , surely you'd have to agree that they could use some kind of schooling when it comes down to presenting yourself on national television .:lol:

Dearghoul

'They' could use some kind of schooling when presenting 'yourselves'

Are you at all familiar with the concept of a kick in the hole.

Good.

Let's take that as read.

raetsel

Now now , I just was pointing out how unprofessional Irish journalists are and there um's and eh's and er's , surely you'd have to agree that they could use some kind of schooling when it comes down to presenting yourself on national television .:lol:
If someone is asked a question, 'ums' and 'ahs' are pretty normal anyway. If you start schooling that fundamental human trait out you actually lose a bit of honesty in the answer.

As a northerner, I watch news from Belfast, London and Dublin almost every day on TV. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Obviously the BBC in London have an advantage over RTE in Dublin considering their respective funding arrangements - a national station serving 66M people can obviously pay better salaries than one serving less than 5M, which is why numerous talented Irish broadcasters are drawn to work for British channels. No surprise there, at least while EU freedom of movement rules still apply. But ask most Europeans and they'd rather have the integrity of the ums' and 'ahs' than the polished faux-blonde automatons on Fox News.
You emigrated there. Please stay out there.:)

cranberry1

If someone is asked a question, 'ums' and 'ahs' are pretty normal anyway. If you start schooling that fundamental human trait out you actually lose a bit of honesty in the answer.

As a northerner, I watch news from Belfast, London and Dublin almost every day on TV. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Obviously the BBC in London have an advantage over RTE in Dublin considering their respective funding arrangements - a national station serving 66M people can obviously pay better salaries than one serving less than 5M, which is why numerous talented Irish broadcasters are drawn to work for British channels. No surprise there, at least while EU freedom of movement rules still apply. But ask most Europeans and they'd rather have the integrity of the ums' and 'ahs' than the polished faux-blonde automatons on Fox News.
I'll give you another example , I was watching the ROI play last year and I'm not sure who the commentator was but it seemed like a former player and this idiot could not stop using the word sublime , it was getting to the point where I had to turn the volume down , I mean really can no one give these people some pointers on do's and don'ts when commentating .Oh and don't worry no fear of me coming back to an unrecognizable country thats for sure , you guy's managed to really f uck it up in a relatively short period of time and I give it another decade to see the final nail in it's coffin .:lol:

CatullusV

I'll give you another example , I was watching the ROI play last year and I'm not sure who the commentator was but it seemed like a former player and this idiot could not stop using the word sublime , it was getting to the point where I had to turn the volume down , I mean really can no one give these people some pointers on do's and don'ts when commentating .Oh and don't worry no fear of me coming back to an unrecognizable country thats for sure , you guy's managed to really f uck it up in a relatively short period of time and I give it another decade to see the final nail in it's coffin .:lol:
If you are going to integrate into American society you'll really need to learn English first.

mr_anderson

(Southern) Ireland has a population of just c4million.
Our broadcast talent comes from a very small pool.

It's flattering to call RTE a 'National Broadcaster', as it's really just an amateurish regional set-up.
The licence fee allows RTE to inflate the salaries of their 'stars', far in excess of their true worth, contributing to their undeserved egos.

The whole thing is long past it's sell-by date.

hollandia

I take it you don't watch soccer very much then. Or 1) you'd know who the "former player", was and 2) regardless of what country you watch your soccerball in, punditry is full of former players, who, when all is said and done, at the end of the day, put their shoulders to the wheel and grind out results without losing the dressing room or losing the "big mo", by the use of cliche and crutchwords.

I'm delighted to hear you aren't coming back (though I'm not entirely sure you were ever "here"). We've enough arseholes already. Good that we're exporting them :)

hollandia

The ums and ahs can be trained out quite quite easily. The best speakers use pause. The problem is broadcasters tend not to like "dead air".