RTE news - Rehn says senior bondholders may have to share in cost of bank bailout

HarshBuzz

but...but...but Lenihan told us this couldn't happen

McDave

This was just on the news at 11am. What is going on?
If true, it means very good news for us - if we get our budget sorted and some political stability back.

My guess is there is a plan ready to go, but it's being held up until we make budgetary commitments as a state. Hence all the impatience at EU level about our prevarication.

A view from England

If true, it means very good news for us - if we get our budget sorted and some political stability back.

My guess is there is a plan ready to go, but it's being held up until we make budgetary commitments as a state. Hence all the impatience at EU level about our prevarication.
Perhaps good news. However, the bondholders will sell massively, yeilds will soar and that means Spain and Portugal are out of the bond market too. A disaster for the EU.

justme1

Because if Ireland as a country survived another million years the people couldn't afford to pay for it!!
I can tell you that there is far more coming down the tracks,all the lies and bullsh** that is being fed to us by FF,we are naked and the tide is just about to pass us by,be prepared for a lot more revelations.

Tea Party Patriot

Any printed source on this, you sure you heard it right? It's not the 2013 thing again? If otherwise Spain and Portugal will be down the toilet.

Tea Party Patriot

Because if Ireland as a country survived another million years the people couldn't afford to pay for it!!
I can tell you that there is far more coming down the tracks,all the lies and bullsh** that is being fed to us by FF,we are naked and the tide is just about to pass us by,be prepared for a lot more revelations.
FF have messed up on spending and are telling lies and BS, but it is nothing compared to the ECB trying to plug the unpluggable hole.

HarshBuzz

massive slap in the face for Lenihan obviously

Sluggerfugee

If we do get a discount from the bondholders can I suggest taking the money and buying both RBS and LloydsTSB, the market capitalisation of RBS is circa £23B and Lloyds is £42B, we owe both banks about £40B, so we can have the 2 banks for about £25B extra and own our debt, plus gain a major foothold in the UK banking system which is outside the Euro.

Best form of defence is attack!!!

myhonorisloyalty666

They will pay it in time - they will be forced to work to pay it back.

Rejoice! Work Sets Out Free!:D

McDave

Perhaps good news. However, the bondholders will sell massively, yeilds will soar and that means Spain and Portugal are out of the bond market too. A disaster for the EU.
That's why the pressure is on to get state borrowing down.

If it stabilises the financial situation overall, then the economic game is back on.

Disillusioned democrat

That makes no sense, because what's the point in budgetting for €11bn interest payments if there's onl going to be €8bn. I sense a FF good news coup, just before they get into election mode, orchestrated by a very grateful EU for taking so much sh1te to sort out Euro.

orbit

Yields will rise alright, but they can't sell if nobody is buying, which they aren't (in our case at least). It's the effect on deposits we should be more worried about.

McDave

That makes no sense, because what's the point in budgetting for €11bn interest payments if there's onl going to be €8bn. I sense a FF good news coup, just before they get into election mode, orchestrated by a very grateful EU for taking so much sh1te to sort out Euro.
Rehn can't make a statement like that without EU follow-up. I doubt this is a stunt. But I'd like to see written news reports to be sure.

HarshBuzz

now Merkel's comments make a lot more sense

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies