RTE Political Coverage

BarryW

MichaelHennigan said:
My main criticism of journalists is that many of them play the tunes called by politicains because they are not up to speed/adequately briefed on issues that they are covering
You're right on this one, Michael.

The most scary example of this has been some of the election coverage in the Sunday Business Post. Some of the stuff they come out with (quite obviously) originated straight from the mouths of certain politicians and other journalists.

Go back and read their constituency profile of Dublin Central from about 6 weeks ago for a prime example

MINISTER said:
croppyboy said:
MINISTER said:
Miriam O'callaghan (her brother is a failed FF candidate in Dublin)
Not quite a failed candidate. He is a dail candidate in the coming general election.
What is RTE protocol on a presenter covering the election when they have a close relative seeking election. Why I ask is that on the PD new candidate thread a poster wondered if Joe O'Brien would be precluded from reporting as his wife is the candidate for Kildare Sth(?).
Not really sure. Wasn't Ryan Tubridy quite involved with Fianna Fáil in UCD?

BarryW

croppyboy said:
MINISTER said:
Not quite a failed candidate. He is a dail candidate in the coming general election.
I presume MINISTER was referring to the 2004 Locals, where O'Callaghan bombed spectacularly in the Rathmines ward

Príomh Aire

Website
www.freewebs.com
Good point. As well as that, journalists have their eyes on advisers for Ministers and as a result will never be too critical of them. John Bruton's refusal to co-operate woth O'Reilly's request is the reason the Independent urged people to vote FF in 1997.

The Analyser

dubsthcentralboy said:
MINISTER said:
croppyboy said:
MINISTER said:
What is RTE protocol on a presenter covering the election when they have a close relative seeking election. Why I ask is that on the PD new candidate thread a poster wondered if Joe O'Brien would be precluded from reporting as his wife is the candidate for Kildare Sth(?).
Not really sure. Wasn't Ryan Tubridy quite involved with Fianna Fáil in UCD?
Which is why Ryan would not be involved in presentation of Prime Time. But his reputation as a fair presenter allows him to touch on politics elsewhere, just not on the main politics programme.

If Miriam's brother is running for any party then no way can she be involved in any involved in election coverage. No matter how objective she was, there would be a perceived conflict of interest. Perception is crucial in terms of media credibility. That may be why RTÉ may have chosen to extend her talk show in the summer. Then they have the excuse to say 'she'll be so busy preparing for the show that, conveniently, she'll be cutting back on her Prime Time work.

MINISTER

BarryW said:
croppyboy said:
MINISTER said:
I presume MINISTER was referring to the 2004 Locals, where O'Callaghan bombed spectacularly in the Rathmines ward
Correct B W. Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't remember the full details.

MINISTER

I believe Harney was challenged by an ordinary voter on TV3 over the lack of any paediatric immunology cover in Ireland.

Try and catch it on the rest of the newscasts over the course of the even.

It is reminiscent of this moment for Blair in 2001, not quite as damaging perhaps but a sign of the times for Harney
Her face was a. Id say they spent a few bob on the event and onequestion from an angry voter meant it was wasted money.

It wasn't on RTE at all! It was an excellent moment and what a pity TV3 don't archive and allow streaming of their broadcasts.

It would have been stranger still if RTE had shown it! I have just watched the late news on RTE 2 and no sign or mention of it either.

On that, did any one see the article in last Saturdays' Examiner. Dempsey is appointing consultants to review their licence and will make a descision in June based on certain performance indicators!!! Nothing to do with positive election coverage for FF i'll bet. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

YoggieBear

Who decides who appears on these programmes like "Primetime" and "Questions and Answers" anyway.

I must admit I dont tune in every week but when I do there always seems to be a member of cabinet accompanied by a journalist/barrister with some representative from a trade union/ oireachtas commitee also. These are rarely critical of the government and never put the cabinet rep under pressure. In fact they hardly ever get into the real blame game!!!

As regards a representative from the opposition benches it seems that Labour are far more frequently represented that Fine Gael and I doubt its because Fine Gael keep refusing to appear.

Perhaps its just I dont watch it enough. Just wonderin if the more frequent viewers out there can shed some light on my opinions.

KeithM

YoggieBear said:
As regards a representative from the opposition benches it seems that Labour are far more frequently represented that Fine Gael and I doubt its because Fine Gael keep refusing to appear.

Perhaps its just I dont watch it enough. Just wonderin if the more frequent viewers out there can shed some light on my opinions.
Representation on these programmes it done stictly proportially to representation in the Dail. If you haven't noticed the FG people it's probably because they've done such a bad job. Ask most people to name the people of the FG front bench and they'll struggle to get past three.

YoggieBear

KeithM said:
YoggieBear said:

Representation on these programmes it done stictly proportially to representation in the Dail.
Thank you KeithM for that piece of info which I was not aware of.

As regards the Fine Gael reps, perhaps a little bit harsh, any time I have seen them they appear to fight their corner pretty well and hold the government reps to account!!

MINISTER

With a week to go what do people think of the media coverage - particularly RTE - during the campaign.

Personally I feel they have subtley been promoting FF/PD in their programming and commentary.

culbair

I thought that Mary Wilson was un-necessarily harsh on Olwyn Enright on Thursday. I would suspect that Pat Kenny is a strong PD supporter. Seems to interview Michael Mc Dowell quite regularly. Overall RTE is strongly pro government.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Overly harsh ?

Olwyn is hoping to be a Minister in Government, and you think she should be gone easy on by the media ?

Any good Minister should be able to take a journalist apart .. and Wilson is hardly a Rottweiler

Cop on to yourself Culbair... if they badger you, you badger them back.

MINISTER

RTE news commentary is turning very pro FF this week. Easy known the licence fee is being "reviewed"!

MINISTER

It took a phone call to RTE to get them to mention Sean Donnellys connections to fianna Fail.

Dasayev

The problem with RTÉ is that it wants to be viewed as non-partisan and importantly, it believes that it is. It seems to believe that because it is RTÉ, it's employees will behave in a balanced fashion no matter what. Hence Miriam O'Callaghan chairing the recent debate, even though she has family in Fianna Fáil.

Most of the time RTÉ does remain balanced, and often as a result, members of political parties see this obsessive balance as going easy or going over the top on a minister / topic depending on their own political views.

However, you can't stop people from having opinions, and inevitably no matter how hard they may try, the reality is that RTÉ will favour some people at certain times, and others at other times. The problem is that RTÉ will never openly accept this because it has this entrenched view of it's own impartiality.

Of course when you add in things like when Brian Dobson had a job coaching politicians on how to answer questions, it seems to everyone outside of RTÉ that this is not right, and it's not, but RTÉ seem to think that it's own journalism is beyond reproach just because it's RTÉ.

But I can also remember the time when several TDs went on a junket, and RTÉ's One O'Clock news got a rollocking from a TD live on air for the crime of mentioning the trip. He even threatened a cut in the license fee if RTÉ continued their coverage.

So RTÉ is put in an impossible position. Accused of going easy, or being too hard. The license fee waved at it by governments and it's own denial that it is in any way biased.

RTÉ is in need of reform. It has to become free from political interference. A good start would be to take control of the license fee away from the politicians. Having chairpersons not related to politicians would be another.

Of course, another alternative would be to give every political party their own tv channel. Then they'd all be happy.

MINISTER

Dasayev said:
The problem with RTÉ is that it wants to be viewed as non-partisan and importantly, it believes that it is. It seems to believe that because it is RTÉ, it's employees will behave in a balanced fashion no matter what. Hence Miriam O'Callaghan chairing the recent debate, even though she has family in Fianna Fáil.

Most of the time RTÉ does remain balanced, and often as a result, members of political parties see this obsessive balance as going easy or going over the top on a minister / topic depending on their own political views.

However, you can't stop people from having opinions, and inevitably no matter how hard they may try, the reality is that RTÉ will favour some people at certain times, and others at other times. The problem is that RTÉ will never openly accept this because it has this entrenched view of it's own impartiality.

Of course when you add in things like when Brian Dobson had a job coaching politicians on how to answer questions, it seems to everyone outside of RTÉ that this is not right, and it's not, but RTÉ seem to think that it's own journalism is beyond reproach just because it's RTÉ.

But I can also remember the time when several TDs went on a junket, and RTÉ's One O'Clock news got a rollocking from a TD live on air for the crime of mentioning the trip. He even threatened a cut in the license fee if RTÉ continued their coverage.

So RTÉ is put in an impossible position. Accused of going easy, or being too hard. The license fee waved at it by governments and it's own denial that it is in any way biased.

RTÉ is in need of reform. It has to become free from political interference. A good start would be to take control of the license fee away from the politicians. Having chairpersons not related to politicians would be another.

Of course, another alternative would be to give every political party their own tv channel. Then they'd all be happy.
It would probably be wishful thinking to hope someone would shake up RTE and create a distance between the board and politics and licence fee.

New Threads

Most Replies