• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

RTE putting ad-copy restrictions on rivals advertising on their channels

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Here's an interesting one. The Sunday Business Post's Media section is reporting that RTE have put restrictions on the ad copy of a TodayFM campaign to run on RTE's stations.

TodayFM are launching a campaign to promote Ray D'Arcy's radio show and plan to spend six figures doing so across a range of media. The ad says "join D'Arcy" - except RTE are refusing to air the ad unless it just says "Ray D'Arcy" without "join" - this is because RTE has "restrictions on marketing from competing media". In order to air their ads on RTE, TodayFM has been forced to amend their ad solely to suit RTE.

Does anyone not find these rules about copy clearance unusual? For a broadcaster that's funded through a combination of advertising and licence-fee, to impose restrictions on commercial advertising seems to be especially surprising.

Odyessus

Here's an interesting one. The Sunday Business Post's Media section is reporting that RTE have put restrictions on the ad copy of a TodayFM campaign to run on RTE's stations.

TodayFM are launching a campaign to promote Ray D'Arcy's radio show and plan to spend six figures doing so across a range of media. The ad says "join D'Arcy" - except RTE are refusing to air the ad unless it just says "Ray D'Arcy" without "join" - this is because RTE has "restrictions on marketing from competing media". In order to air their ads on RTE, TodayFM has been forced to amend their ad solely to suit RTE.

Does anyone not find these rules about copy clearance unusual? For a broadcaster that's funded through a combination of advertising and licence-fee, to impose restrictions on commercial advertising seems to be especially surprising.

Would you accept an ad for a rival political website?

mmbhg

not surprising at all. there once was a suspense advertising campaign by FM104 that was aired on 98FM ad breaks. the campaign being suspense nobody knew what it was for... then it revealed itself by billboard... this happened because it would not be allowed happen upfront. all is normal here. Willie O'Reilly has joint campaigns with the entire radio industry including RTE about the high value of radio advertising, this is all a bit malcolm mclaren, will he get more cheaper publicity from the protest than from the adverts, yes politics.ie and the SBP proves it. Looks like Radio Nova has upped the ante and the antics in media promotions.

He should now record the copy again with bleeps in the space of the names to drive home his point but RTE are operating with in the norms for the industry and the industry knows it.

The head to head attack by Today FM on 2FM D'Arcy v Tubridy is the game here, its Gerrys old listeners that are the prize.

J

john moriarty

Would you accept an ad for a rival political website?
I doubt he would, but this
is not like for like. RTE is a
national station & shouldn't
concern itself with such
restrictive decisions.

Panopticon

I can't see why RTÉ should be obliged to broadcast a piece that encourages listeners to choose competitors to its programmes.

Odyessus

Would Dave Cochrane accept an ad on this site encouraging people to move to a rival political website?

politicaldonations

Privatise most of rte. Leave one small station that is non advertising and only has public interest stuff like news, community events, sports etc on it and no xfactor or neighbours or other purely commercial stuff. This can be funded from central exchequer cutting need for tv inspectors.

punchdrunk

not surprising at all. there once was a suspense advertising campaign by FM104 that was aired on 98FM ad breaks. the campaign being suspense nobody knew what it was for... then it revealed itself by billboard... this happened because it would not be allowed happen upfront. all is normal here. Willie O'Reilly has joint campaigns with the entire radio industry including RTE about the high value of radio advertising, this is all a bit malcolm mclaren, will he get more cheaper publicity from the protest than from the adverts, yes politics.ie and the SBP proves it. Looks like Radio Nova has upped the ante and the antics in media promotions.

He should now record the copy again with bleeps in the space of the names to drive home his point but RTE are operating with in the norms for the industry and the industry knows it.

The head to head attack by Today FM on 2FM D'Arcy v Tubridy is the game here, its Gerrys old listeners that are the prize.
If I were paid I would not listen to Darcy's programme.

biteback

Privatise most of rte. Leave one small station that is non advertising and only has public interest stuff like news, community events, sports etc on it and no xfactor or neighbours or other purely commercial stuff. This can be funded from central exchequer cutting need for tv inspectors.
I'd agree with the privitisation of RTE. It could very easily be privatised and getting ridding it wouldn't cause the same level of problems Eircom's sale did. I think getting rid of ESB and Bord Gais would cause problems in the future particularly with the changeover to renewable fuels.

But I'd cut the license fee in half and divide it up for public service programming between the newly private RTE and the other networks! And they would be mandated by a new Broadcasting Bill to show a certain % of public service broadcasting.

As for the Symphony Orchestra it could either be scrapped or funded by the Dept of Arts, Sports & Tourism!

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I don't know about unusual but, given RTÉ's special position in the national media, they are certainly unjust.

Thanks for drawing attention to it.

Tig

If both organisations were on an equal footing then fair enough - however, RTE is not a commerical organisation in the sense that Today FM is, given the huge amount of funding that it gets from you and me through the licence fee.

If RTE wants to behave like a commercial organisation - sometimes - by restricting advertising from competitors then it should behave like a commercial organisation at all times and ditch its public funding subsidy.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
More having the cakery and eating it

Well either
  1. They are a state service: in which case they should allow the ad
  2. They are a commercial station: in which case they should be free to refuse it
RTE are well known for being both, forcing all TV viewers to pay them under threat of prosecution... yet being commercial

cYp

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
If both organisations were on an equal footing then fair enough - however, RTE is not a commerical organisation in the sense that Today FM is, given the huge amount of funding that it gets from you and me through the licence fee.

If RTE wants to behave like a commercial organisation - sometimes - by restricting advertising from competitors then it should behave like a commercial organisation at all times and ditch its public funding subsidy.
+1

For me, I'd be satisfied if they started behaving like a public service broadcaster, demanding professionalism from moderately paid presenters and producers.

How many radio programmes could you make on the combined salaries of the top-paid, say, six presenters used by RTÉ?

ballot stuffer

I doubt he would, but this
is not like for like. RTE is a
national station & shouldn't
concern itself with such
restrictive decisions.
Were you on a hand held device when you wrote this?

The extra line breaks make your post harder to read.

Highking

RTE should be privatised, if TV3 can survive without the Government shelling out our hard-earned cash for it why can't RTE.

Strictly obiter, If they do sell up hopefully they don't try to make comedy anymore, even the yank stuff outranks the rubbish they waste our money on.