RTE Radio 1 Doc: Orangeman in Dublin

Schomberg

You said for you the Irish tricolour is just "the flag of a political and cultural movement". Its more than that, its the flag of the Irish state, the state in which I'm assuming you're a citizen of.
It might be "more than that", but it's the "that" that's the problem.

How can you expect Irish people to respect your British heritage with the displaying of British flags/emblems, yet you have no respect for the Irish flag and therefore the Irish state?
How have I shown no respect for the Irish flag? I don\t burn it, spit on it, deface it (like Irish football fans). It simply does not represent us.

But yet you and your orange buddies are more than happy to take hundreds of thousands of euro a year from the Irish taxpayer...
I've never taken a cent of tax payers money.

Schomberg

British Citizen

It's an inclusive flag, the problem is that the Orange tradition never wanted to be included. At least we tried.
When the RUC was formed in Northern Ireland one third of positions were kept back for catholics - who refused to take up the posts and didn't want to be included.

Would you agree the RUC were always beyond criticism because they tried back when they were first formed?

Schomberg

From the 1980s

Green, White and Gold

Give me the Irish Republican Army,
Give me the Green, White, and Gold every time.
Give me the three-leaved shamrock of Ireland,
A land I love that is so divine.
Send the English back where they came from,
To Hell
Give us our country back again.
Give me the Irish Republican Army,
To make our land a nation once again.
you're like a human wikipedia Cruimh! :D

dublincitizen

lol I've heard similar things said about the Irish in Northern Ireland taking British taxpayer money without recognising the flag, head of state, government, police, rule of law, national anthem, etc...

Should the people of Falls Road be forced to fly the Union Flag?
The Irish in the North pay taxes and play their part in Northern society, so you're comparing like-with-like.

What exlusionary Irish organisations do you know of that receive public grants from the British taxpayer?

C

Cass

Please answer the question.
If you mean Loyalism then no. The flag intended to symbolise the union of all the Irish people. But it's clear that Orangism (is that even a word?) doesn't want to be part of it. But let's hope so someday!

Schomberg

If you mean Loyalism then no. The flag intended to symbolise the union of all the Irish people. But it's clear that Orangism (is that even a word?) doesn't want to be part of it. But let's hope so someday!
You've yet to answer any of the questions put to you.

1. How did you try to include those of us from the Orange tradition?

Aspherical123

Sorry, this a genuine question, but what actually is the purpose of the Orange Order? is it just to celebrate the fact that they're not Catholic, and therefore traditionally not poor as sh1T?

The benchmark of a civilised society is its ability to live and let live, the republic while making big progress still has a long way to go.

Schomberg

Let's see if Cass has the grace to admit she was talking nonsense ....

Of course Gold is the Vatican colour ......
pure coincidence I'm sure :lol:

British Citizen

The Irish in the North pay taxes and play their part in Northern society, so you're comparing like-with-like.

What exlusionary Irish organisations do you know of that receive public grants from the British taxpayer?
Statistics have consistently proven that the Irish in Northern Ireland are more likely to be unemployed or claiming incapacity benefits than the British people in the country.

Schomberg

borntorum

But yet you and your orange buddies are more than happy to take hundreds of thousands of euro a year from the Irish taxpayer...
What's this? Why is the Irish taxpayer giving any money to a sectarian, and seemingly disloyal, organisation? Let them wear their little hats and go stomping around Rossknowlagh all they like, and let them wallow in their rather tragic nostalgia for Queen and Empire, but why should they be given state money to do so?

British Citizen

Organised sectarianism and bigotry. They should be banned.
In the spirit of equality you'd probably have to ban the GAA for the same reasons....

dublincitizen

It might be "more than that", but it's the "that" that's the problem.
See this is why I'm so cynical about a 'shared future' between Nationalists and Unionists. Unionists like yourself will only be happy if Ireland was back in the UK.

How have I shown no respect for the Irish flag? I don\t burn it, spit on it, deface it (like Irish football fans). It simply does not represent us.
You don't respect because you show no loyalty to it, even though you're abided to show loyalty to it as an Irish citizen. Its hypocritical and again how can you expect others to show respect to your British heritage when you have no respect to the majority's Irish heitage?

I've never taken a cent of tax payers money.
Your organisation has, which is what I was clearly referring to.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies