• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

RTE refuses demands to air Muslim csll-to-prayer

GOF58

Coming into the month of Ramadan, RTE has organised a series of shorts to be aired on Saturdays with Irish Muslims discussing what the month of fasting means to them. This is not enough however for Mr. Ali Selim of TCD who requested that RTE broadcast the Muslim call to prayer for the next month to mark the end of day's fast period. RTE refused to countenance this as the time for the end of Ramadan changes each day , moreover as the fast ends about 10pm it would interfere with primetime programming. Mr. Selim's response was interesting

Expressing disappointment at the decision by RTÉ, Dr Selim said: “In Muslim countries the commencement of the period of fasting and its end is marked with a prayer call chanted through load speakers placed on the top of the minarets. It is also aired through radio and TV channels.”
Last I saw Ireland wasn't an Islamic country and that argument contains no good reasons for why non-muslim viewers should be inconvenienced by a religious festival celebrated by a tiny minority.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/rté-rejects-muslim-scholar-s-appeal-for-daily-ramadan-prayer-1.2670599

Dearghoul

Okay. Can I be the first?

Should go out straight after the angelus, no matter what time it ends.

dammit_im_mad

Cheeky fecker. I'm glad RTE did not entertain the suggestion.

The angelus is our own Taliban's call to prayer.
That should go too.

Our state channel should be reasonably free of religious programming.
If the church wants religion on TV then they have the money to set up a channel of their own to spew it from.
The vatican can sell a painting or something. I'm not subsidising their crap.

Last edited:

Fractional Reserve

Let him fook off , what's wrong with these Muslims that they feel they deserve special treatment , you don't hear the Hindus , Buddhists ,mormons etc looking for special treatment .

gleeful

It should be broadcast continuously at all times during all programming on RTE but at low volume, as a kind of silent screem by the tax payer about what a shocking waste of money RTE is.

Then RTE should be closed and that massive D4 site of theirs sold for housing.

former wesleyan

Next up a rabbi blowing a shofar ; will it never end. Can I have a Methodist hymn please ? Pretty please ?

O

Oscurito

Expressing disappointment at the decision by RTÉ, Dr Selim said: “In Muslim countries the commencement of the period of fasting and its end is marked with a prayer call chanted through load speakers placed on the top of the minarets. It is also aired through radio and TV channels.”
This happened about 10 years ago so the one I'm talking about is in her late 20s now.

Anyway, after finishing her Leaving Cert, she and a bunch of friends headed off to Turkey for some sun, sea and sand. They were awoken early on the first morning by an almighty din coming from nearby. They all piled down into reception to find out what the racket was but the receptionist assured them as best he could telling them that it was the call to prayer from a nearby minaret.

In her own words, "The mosque had gone off".

Last edited:

Kershaw

Last I saw Ireland wasn't an Islamic country and that argument contains no good reasons for why non-muslim viewers should be inconvenienced by a religious festival celebrated by a tiny minority.
What do you think should happen when they are no longer a tiny minority. France's youth population for example are 25% Muslim now and growing. Britain's Muslim population have doubled every 10 years since the 50's. Trevor Philips the former head of the Commission for Racial Equality thinks entire cities will be majority Muslim. About 270 thousand Muslims live in Denmark (4.8% out of a population of 5.6 million. Thy're a bit further along than us. That's the country where a recent documentary showed an undercover reporter posing as a Syrian refugee being told by an Imam not to integrate or make friends with the Danish as Islam was in the process of conquering Europe through stealth.

2nd most widely spoken language in Ireland now is Polish, not Irish and given the dwindling attendance levels at mass, there will likely come a time that Islam is the most widely practiced religion in Ireland even if they aren't the majority of the country. A 2006 poll found 36% of Muslims wanted Ireland to become an Islamic state. 57% of the youth did. Trevor Philips said he made a mistake thinking Muslims evolve to wear their religion lightly and that the opposite happened. Evidence of the same thing in Ireland with that stat.

Last edited:

flavirostris

Fair play to them and given how libtard heavy RTE is, it must have been hard to resist.

ManUnited

Coming into the month of Ramadan, RTE has organised a series of shorts to be aired on Saturdays with Irish Muslims discussing what the month of fasting means to them. This is not enough however for Mr. Ali Selim of TCD who requested that RTE broadcast the Muslim call to prayer for the next month to mark the end of day's fast period. RTE refused to countenance this as the time for the end of Ramadan changes each day , moreover as the fast ends about 10pm it would interfere with primetime programming. Mr. Selim's response was interesting

RTÉ rejects Muslim scholar
Not much of an inconvenience really.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Heh. I forecast this one on the thread about the Mad Bongs. It was only a matter of time until RTE started coming under pressure to air the Muslim call to prayer. The countdown is on for some Muslim group to point out the Mad Bongs as justification for their call to prayer to be aired.

I said it plenty on the Mad Bongs thread and I'll say it here again- as long as RTE is kowtowing to religious observance in any way for any particular cult they are wide open to be challenged to observe Muslim cultural norms as well.

The only protection for all this is a secular state and a secular state broadcaster.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Mr Selim's request is outrageous and offensive. Which is why I just pointed my arse in the general direction of Mecca and farted loudly for five minutes. How's that for a call to prayer, eh?
Fair's fair. You must now belch loudly in the direction of Rome and blow your nose at Jerusalem. We are, after all, a Republic.

Hitchcock

Let him fook off , what's wrong with these Muslims that they feel they deserve special treatment , you don't hear the Hindus , Buddhists ,mormons etc looking for special treatment .
Indeed special treatment is reserved for the Catholic faith.

Somewhat hypocritical of RTE to refuse given the coverage they afford catholicism, of course none of these religions should be given special air time on the state broadcaster.

Hitchcock

Mr Selim's request is outrageous and offensive. Which is why I just pointed my arse in the general direction of Mecca and farted loudly for five minutes. How's that for a call to prayer, eh?
Less of the hyperbole, you may not agree with his call but it's certainly not outrageous or offensive...If you wish to talk about 'offensive' one need look no further than your ridiculous post above....:roll:

Fractional Reserve

No it's not we are a Catholic country first and foremost 84.6% ,Islam 1.07%
Indeed special treatment is reserved for the Catholic faith.

Somewhat hypocritical of RTE to refuse given the coverage they afford catholicism, of course none of these religions should be given special air time on the state broadcaster.

4horsemen

It should be broadcast continuously at all times during all programming on RTE but at low volume, as a kind of silent screem by the tax payer about what a shocking waste of money RTE is.

Then RTE should be closed and that massive D4 site of theirs sold for housing.
You're so right and please tell us where you recommend we go to learn of Irish news; NewsTalk and the Irish Mirror?

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It has been quite funny watching RTE in this area down the decades. I recall the Mad Bongs used to be accompanied by a hideous still picture of an oil painting showing the madonna character in some mawkish pose.

Then RTE started trying to disguise the Mad Bongs' origins by showing stills of flowers and such and trying to explain it away as a 'moment of reflection' in terms of spiritualism.

It does have its origins in xtian custom though as the bells would ring out at monasteries to inform the agricultural labourers that it was time to finish work and have a quick prayer to thank Mr god for allowing them another productive day with the promise of more tomorrow:)

ruserious

No religion should be pandered to by the State.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies