• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

RTE reporters at Leinster House after 9pm

Colin M

Just watching David Davin Power doing his live bit from outside Leinster House and Govt Buildings (on the Magdalene report), and I was wondering why they usually do this, on the 9pm bulletin? Is it that RTE want to give the impression that the reporter has been 'extremely busy', all day with the 'breaking news'? Instead of the reporter freezing in the Dublin cold, when they could do their live piece out in Donnybrook.

Given that the main days talking points in both the Dail and the Seanad finish up before the evening, it always look a bit silly to me.

ruserious

Just to give it added style and realism. Nothing wrong with that.

RahenyFG

RTE hasn't suffered that bad from cutbacks that they shouldn't send reporters a mere few miles down the road to Leinster House.

johnfás

RTE do this with almost everything. If you compare RTE news to the uk or American stations you see far more reporters on the news. The "news anchor" has a much greater role in just voicing over footage in most other jurisdictions. The RTE one always looks a bit naff as a result.

Colin M

Just to give it added style and realism. Nothing wrong with that.
Where is the 'realism' part? The average person knows that the Oireachtas members have either (a) gone home, or (b) to the pub, by that time.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Most RTE pol staff work out of Leinster House... so going to Donnybrook would be a trip !

cYp

ruserious

Where is the 'realism' part? The average person knows that the Oireachtas members have either (a) gone home, or (b) to the pub, by that time.
Yep, but it's where the main happenings of the day occured. It would be fair boring having all the news come from one room.

carlovian

Just watching David Davin Power doing his live bit from outside Leinster House and Govt Buildings (on the Magdalene report), and I was wondering why they usually do this, on the 9pm bulletin? Is it that RTE want to give the impression that the reporter has been 'extremely busy', all day with the 'breaking news'? Instead of the reporter freezing in the Dublin cold, when they could do their live piece out in Donnybrook.

Given that the main days talking points in both the Dail and the Seanad finish up before the evening, it always look a bit silly to me.
Ah David come on.

If you don't like doing the late cold slot, get someone else to do it.

nonpartyboy

Do you get an allowance in rte for doing an "outside" broadcast ?

cricket

You would also often see the court reporter doing a live piece from outside the court at 9pm about a case that would have finished that afternoon.

Harmonica

RTE do this with almost everything. If you compare RTE news to the uk or American stations you see far more reporters on the news. The "news anchor" has a much greater role in just voicing over footage in most other jurisdictions. The RTE one always looks a bit naff as a result.
This can even be seen on Prime Time. Its supposed to be an investigative show but presenters like Miriam O'Callaghan over often just do a few brief intros to the pre-recorded investigative pieces.

Abaddon

Wasn't there a private members bill to do with the promissory note on tonight?

S

Science Ninja

Is it any worse than "Live from some patch of grass outside RTÉ"?

lying eyes

It is a pathetic sham , just like most things in this Country........

james toney

They should put the cameras on the TD's falling out of the bar every night.

pippakin

Hoping to catch a member of the Dail staggering, sorry, strolling to his/her car.

Slievenaglogh

The same question was posed in The Guardian (Notes & Queries column) a couple of years ago regarding BBC reporters standing outside the Houses of Parliament and the like when everyone has gone home. It seems they do it because they consider it looks better for the viewers. I asked a family member who used to work in RTE and he said the same thing.
It still looks ridiculous - I imagine Vivienne Traynor (spelling?) driving in from Donnybrook to report from a footpath with Four Courts in the background when she could report just as well from the other end of the studio desk..

Pudna

Do you get an allowance in rte for doing an "outside" broadcast ?
There certainly is an allowance for the crew on this 'outside' broadcast. It is also a triumph of 'style' over proper analysis and scrutiny.