RTE says Fr Tony Flannery, a Redemptorist priest celebrated a 'Mass' in Co Galway - or did he?

Catalpast

Hundreds of people have attended the first mass in five years to be celebrated by a priest banned from public ministry.

Fr Tony Flannery, a Redemptorist priest, was banned from public ministry by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) in 2012.

Priest banned from public ministry holds mass

Now for a start I have no quibble with this Priest

- he can say what he wants to say about change in the Church and take the consequences if that's they way he wants to play it

However the fact is he is suspended from Public Ministry by the CDF

- if he wishes to remain a Priest he must accept that ruling even if it is personally painful for him

I read his suspension of one that precludes him from celebrating a Mass in Public

Hence an attempt to stage one is an invalid undertaking

- ie it is not a Mass!

Once again RTE has displayed another example of a Fake News story to fuel its agenda driven campaign against the Church

- correct me if I am wrong here but that's the way I read it....

mr_anderson

How many angels does Tony believe can dance on the head of a pin and by how many does this differ with the Vatican ?

Northsideman

Not religious but fair wacks to him, standing up to the man.

Mushroom

Was the man in vestments who stood beside Mr/Fr Flannery during the celebration of the mass (or "mass") a Vatican approved priest? I noticed that he also helped give out the communion wafers. If he is, then presumably the mass was kosher in the eyes of the Vatican.

cricket

I'm going out for a few jars shortly to a pub in what is known as a deprived area of Cork. I expect this will be the sole topic of conversation for the night.

gerhard dengler

Hundreds of people have attended the first mass in five years to be celebrated by a priest banned from public ministry.

Fr Tony Flannery, a Redemptorist priest, was banned from public ministry by the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) in 2012.

- he can say what he wants to say about change in the Church and take the consequences if that's they way he wants to play it

- if he wishes to remain a Priest he must accept that ruling even if it is personally painful for him

I read his suspension of one that precludes him from celebrating a Mass in Public

- ie it is not a Mass!

Once again RTE has displayed another example of a Fake News story to fuel its agenda driven campaign against the Church

When he was ordained he took an oath of obedience, an oath which he appears to have broken since and one he certainly broke today.

It is a shame that he has not recanted his views.

between the bridges

Will he be the 3rd Pope...

Vega1447

- ie it is not a Mass!

How, other than checking the paperwork, could I tell a "fake" Mass from the real schmiel?

Northsideman

I'm going out for a few jars shortly to a pub in what is known as a deprived area of Cork. I expect this will be the sole topic of conversation for the night.
Yeah a strange and sheltered lot in Cork.

Congalltee

RTE do religion very oddly. Why is this news? Disgruntled ex employee won't stop working, demands full reinstatement. Some customers support him.

Super Caley

Ah yes, for did Jesus not say (Matthew 18;10);

For where two or three are gathered in my name, then I am there with them, if and only if the gathering has been sanctioned by the congregation of the doctrine of the faith and no platform is shared with any individual who has been sanctioned by said congregation"
"

Catalpast

You are all just about missing the point

- RTE engaging in more Fake News

Pay your TV license and be fed rubbish by RTE

Suck it up parishioners!

between the bridges

No, Paisley junior is in line for that now.
Sssssh, tis a little known fact that for a proddie to become a saint all they have to do is say something nice about a Ra man...

Mushroom

You are all just about missing the point

- RTE engaging in more Fake News

Pay your TV license and be fed rubbish by RTE

Suck it up parishioners!
You appear to need help. See your vet in the morning. Ask to be dosed for a bad infestation of worms.

Eoin Coir

Flannery is a great priest and was badly treated by the Vatican. The same RC protected and moved paedophile priests around.

ne0ica

His ilk won't be around for much longer. Thankfully younger priests are more interested in tending to the spiritual needs of their flock than grandstanding.

HereWeGoAgain

Irish priest Tony Flannery to violate suspension from ministry to celebrate birthday Mass

A popular Irish priest who was suspended from public ministry by the Vatican's doctrinal office five years ago primarily because of his support for women's ordination is planning to violate his suspension in order to celebrate the Mass for his 70th birthday.
Redemptorist Fr. Tony Flannery says in a Jan. 4 posting at his website that he wants to "honor my age, and my lifetime, by ignoring the Church censures, and celebrating a public Mass."

Flannery says that over the past five years of his suspension he has felt like he has been living in a "limbo" state and wants to use the occasion of the Mass to express gratitude to those who have supported him through those years.

"Since my dispute with the Vatican went public I have received enormous support from people all over the country, and indeed internationally," he writes. "Eucharist is essentially a thanksgiving and in this Mass I am giving thanks for the good will of many people."

Link
https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/irish-priest-tony-flannery-violate-suspension-ministry-celebrate-birthday-mass

HereWeGoAgain

This January marks a significant milestone in my life; the eighteenth of the month is my seventieth birthday. I have wondered how best to mark it. I am not by nature a ‘party person’, so that option did not greatly appeal to me. Having spent forty years of my life ministering as a priest, I am now into my fifth year when I am forbidden by Church authorities to minister publicly. I have decided to honour my age, and my lifetime, by ignoring the Church censures, and celebrating a public Mass. Since I would not be allowed to do so either in a Catholic church or other Catholic controlled building, I have chosen, with the kind permission of the committee, to celebrate it in the local community hall in the village where I now live, which means that the Mass will take place in Killimordaly Community Centre on Sunday, January 22nd, at 2.30pm.
- Fr. Tony Flannery

Link
I am celebrating a Public Mass on January 22nd: You are welcome to come if you wish. - Tony Flannery - priest & writer

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies