RTE says Irish people "misled" over past few days

spotty

On RTE's Six-One news this evening, David Murphy, business editor of RTE, looked out through Spotty's television and announced that the Irish people "have been misled" for the last few days about the state of play in Brussels and Dublin.

Spotty has not been misled - he was watching BBC, and Bloomberg, and reading the FT and the WSJ and the Guardian and the Telegraph.

Nobody who was following the media outside of Ireland was misled.

The only people who were misled were those relying on RTE to bring them the facts.

RTE receives millions in licence fees every year. Yet, when our Taoiseach was delivering a (reportedly) historic address to the Dail this evening, Irish people could watch it live on BBC News 24, Sky news, CNBC, Bloomberg, and listen to it on any number of international radio stations.

Meanwhile, on RTE, they could watch Neighbours.

On Radio One this afternoon, while the BBC were reporting the negotiations in Brussels, Joe Duffy was on Liveline discussing whether the foreign media had an anti-Irish agenda. Then this evening, RTE says we have been "misled".

By whom? Because it wasn't the foreign media.

Spotty thinks it's time to sell the rotten corpse of RTE to whomever wants it.

Who's with me?

Halo

On RTE's Six-One news this evening, David Murphy, business editor of RTE, looked out through Spotty's television and announced that the Irish people "have been misled" for the last few days about the state of play in Brussels and Dublin.

Spotty has not been misled - he was watching BBC, and Bloomberg, and reading the FT and the WSJ and the Guardian and the Telegraph.

Nobody who was following the media outside of Ireland was misled.

The only people who were misled were those relying on RTE to bring them the facts.

RTE receives millions in licence fees every year. Yet, when our Taoiseach was delivering a (reportedly) historic address to the Dail this evening, Irish people could watch it live on BBC News 24, Sky news, CNBC, Bloomberg, and listen to it on any number of international radio stations.

Meanwhile, on RTE, they could watch Neighbours.

On Radio One this afternoon, while the BBC were reporting the negotiations in Brussels, Joe Duffy was on Liveline discussing whether the foreign media had an anti-Irish agenda. Then this evening, RTE says we have been "misled".

By whom? Because it wasn't the foreign media.

Who's with me?
Im with you.

nonpartyboy

misled = lied too

Halo

Also, good post, sums up the whole day in terms of the media with regards to our financial problems.

ocoonassa

Who's with me?
There's already enough consolidated media working against our democratic interests Spotty. Rather than give Murdoch or O'Really another outlet for their corporatist brainwash it would be nice to see RTÉ turned into a public service broadcaster I think. However I'm not sure what would be the best way to set about doing this.

Tomas Mor

Personally I think P.ie played a blinder here too. For several reasons I was not watching Sky News, or BBC. Anyone relying on RTE and the likes of Dermot Ahern would think all was well as good ship sailed along.

breakingnews

I did notice the misled remark from David Murphy and I thought he was right to say it.

RTE have challenged ministers on the issue of the bailout and the swirling rumours and they've consistently denied the rumours. RTE has a duty to reflect that in their bulletins.

They can't exactly present a bulletin saying the government are lying - it's up to the viewers to reach that conclusion.

Dermot Ahern's "fictious" remark was also highlighted by David Murphy.

The smarmy, smug, piece of crap, Dermot Ahern, needs to address his notion that this is all fiction.

PUFF DADDY

Well said Spotty

non-payment of TV licence resident here

Feelinglost

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5tz-rfdIk&feature=related]YouTube - OBEY: We have faith in our leaders[/ame]

chriskavo

hmmm

One of the most historic nights in Ireland's history and RTE are showing normal programming. I'm with you.

Bill D Gallows

Its pretty remarkable stuff.

You don't often hear a State broadcaster openly say the citizens were misled.

It will be interesting to see if it is said again on the Nine O'Clock News, or whether David Murphy is ever seen on TV again.

breakingnews

Its pretty remarkable stuff.

You don't often hear a State broadcaster openly say the citizens were misled.

It will be interesting to see if it is said again on the Nine O'Clock News, or whether David Murphy is ever seen on TV again.
I agree - I was surprised with the remark. I know there's RTE conspiracy theorists on here, but this was an important comment.

tigerben

R.T.E and the highly paid head's, reporter's, presenter's and radio DJ's should be ashamed at themselves, hopefully when FF are out, the new goverment will also clear out the FFers in the station.
One thing I,ve never heard any of the so called reporter's ask, if the loan's under 5million not be taken over by Nama , done so because half of FFers TDS loans were under this amount, and would cause them to be declared bankrupted and then have to vacate their seat's.
Oh for it all to come out in the wash, They do not want anyone to go through the book's in Anglo:roll:

tempest

Thats as close as we'll get to a strongly worded statement from DM, at least it was an improvement on the usual press release regurgitation.

I'm shocked by the deference shown by the meek Irish media all this week, standing idly by while the Government treat the people with contempt.

G

Gimpanzee

In fairness Spotty, David McCullough's eyebrow has looked like something Roger Moore lent him for the past few days and with the exception of Sean Whelan they all seemed to barely conceal complete disbelief at what they were being told.

And as for not showing Cowen's oration - unlike the rest of the world they got it spot on. He's best ignored at this stage.

Feelinglost

I'm on my way to RTE HQ at the moment., to chew some bubble gum and kick some ass. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnnPDMQvjcY&feature=related]YouTube - They Live 1988 Part 9 of 9 Final[/ame]

JSmith

No doubt journos collectively in pocket of govt press sec. "Say nothing lads".

Why has nobody reported on Brian Lenihan's absence over the past few days, and why was he the only one allegedly caught in a traffic jam in Brussels for so long today. Is there something else going on and do we deserve to hear about it now, budget or not budget?

midlander12

Last Saturday the BBC correctly announced that talks were going on re an Irish bail-out/default, call it what you will. They would have had it first in their news except for Aung San Suu Kyi's release. I immediately switched to the Irish channels in the deluded expectation that one of them might have a newsflash or something. But no, RTE 1 had Winning Streak (perhaps their idea of irony), RTE 2 had British soccer, TV3 had X Factor and TG4 had a Daniel O'Donnell concert whioch looked like it had been recorded c.1985. It was like entering a 1970's time warp.

It took RTE until lunchtime on Sunday to acknowledge the existence of these reports. In fairness to Murphy he reported from Sunday on that a bailout was on the cards and that the govt were misleading (a kind word) the people. I can't understand how there is not a popular revolt in this country, how can people listen to so many lies, lies within lies, and just ignore it? In Iceland a few street demos and the govt was gone.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies