RTE says Irish people "misled" over past few days

Vote_No_on_Everything

On RTE's Six-One news this evening, David Murphy, business editor of RTE, looked out through Spotty's television and announced that the Irish people "have been misled" for the last few days about the state of play in Brussels and Dublin.

Spotty has not been misled - he was watching BBC, and Bloomberg, and reading the FT and the WSJ and the Guardian and the Telegraph.

Nobody who was following the media outside of Ireland was misled.

The only people who were misled were those relying on RTE to bring them the facts.

RTE receives millions in licence fees every year. Yet, when our Taoiseach was delivering a (reportedly) historic address to the Dail this evening, Irish people could watch it live on BBC News 24, Sky news, CNBC, Bloomberg, and listen to it on any number of international radio stations.

Meanwhile, on RTE, they could watch Neighbours.

On Radio One this afternoon, while the BBC were reporting the negotiations in Brussels, Joe Duffy was on Liveline discussing whether the foreign media had an anti-Irish agenda. Then this evening, RTE says we have been "misled".

By whom? Because it wasn't the foreign media.

Spotty thinks it's time to sell the rotten corpse of RTE to whomever wants it.

Who's with me?

+1
I dont listen to Rte or Tv3 any more, I can,t stand the ugly face of Dobson reading the scripted lies & red herrings.

chriskavo

I agree - I was surprised with the remark. I know there's RTE conspiracy theorists on here, but this was an important comment.
Anyone who questions government and it's state broadcaster is hit with the old line - conspiracy theory. Change the f***king record please!.

Bill D Gallows

Last Saturday the BBC correctly announced that talks were going on re an Irish bail-out/default, call it what you will. They would have had it first in their news except for Aung San Suu Kyi's release. I immediately switched to the Irish channels in the deluded expectation that one of them might have a newsflash or something. But no, RTE 1 had Winning Streak (perhaps their idea of irony), RTE 2 had British soccer, TV3 had X Factor and TG4 had a Daniel O'Donnell concert whioch looked like it had been recorded c.1985. It was like entering a 1970's time warp.

It took RTE until lunchtime on Sunday to acknowledge the existence of these reports. In fairness to Murphy he reported from Sunday on that a bailout was on the cards and that the govt were misleading (a kind word) the people. I can't understand how there is not a popular revolt in this country, how can people listen to so many lies, lies within lies, and just ignore it? In Iceland a few street demos and the govt was gone.
Don't forget the demo on the 27th in Dublin.

Its hard to believe, but we have to watch foreign media to get a handle on what's really going on. Irish media blackout ?

slippy wicket

One of the most historic nights in Ireland's history and RTE are showing normal programming. I'm with you.
Me too, shocking carryon from rte, last time i checked this was not north korea

wee slabber

I rely less and less on RTE for news. I get most of mine from online blogs, such as the venerable P.ie, and Twitter. I even listen to radio online, so I have a plethora of choice.

plantfirmly

Um, I'm no fan of Fianna Fail, but I think a lot of people on this site are winding themselves into hysterics. I've been watching politics.ie to keep an eye on things but it seems posters are really getting ahead of themselves with the constant bashing. Every thread is littered with the same comments of doom and gloom, government denial and media censorship/conspiracy.

Did Frontline last night not cover the topic at hand? In fact Pat Kenny gave the Fianna Fail candidate and his party a bit of a roasting. Now people will get on saying RTE are jumping ship as FF are done (make up your minds)

If you go onto rte.ie the first thing you see is, "The Taoiseach has told the Dáil that despite rumours, Ireland had not applied for a funding facility. Watch this story and more". That's the governments stance. Whether you believe it or not is another story. I don't think it's being hidden from the Irish public. If half the people are more interested in watching Eastenders then so be it. I doubt said people would have too much constructive input anyway. Everyone I've spoken to about what's going on is aware of the situation. Nothing is being hidden. What posters on p.ie are failing to realise is that not everyone in the country is as politically tuned-in as they are. No amount of TV coverage of the topic is going to change that. If RTE didn't air what they wanted(entertainment) then they'd just switch to UTV/BBC instead.

RTE are in no way perfect and FF have been a disaster but a lot of posters here are so consumed in their hatred for FF/The establishment that they're not looking at the whole story from a neutral point of view.

Vote_No_on_Everything

Me too, shocking carryon from rte, last time i checked this was not north korea
Can someone make me a FULL list of the alternative media websites, ie Indemedia, Reuters, McWilliams etc?
please complete?

tempest

Get the feeling most jurnos seem to have given up at this stage. Cooper and Hook can't be bothered pushing questions or getting ministers on the evening shows anymore. Every criticism that could be made against this Gov has been at this stage to no avail.

ItsLehmansWotDoneIt

On RTE's Six-One news this evening, David Murphy, business editor of RTE, looked out through Spotty's television and announced that the Irish people "have been misled" for the last few days about the state of play in Brussels and Dublin.

Spotty has not been misled - he was watching BBC, and Bloomberg, and reading the FT and the WSJ and the Guardian and the Telegraph.

The only people who were misled were those relying on RTE to bring them the facts.

RTE receives millions in licence fees every year. Yet, when our Taoiseach was delivering a (reportedly) historic address to the Dail this evening, Irish people could watch it live on BBC News 24, Sky news, CNBC, Bloomberg, and listen to it on any number of international radio stations.

On Radio One this afternoon, while the BBC were reporting the negotiations in Brussels, Joe Duffy was on Liveline discussing whether the foreign media had an anti-Irish agenda. Then this evening, RTE says we have been "misled".

Who's with me?
+1

Would this be the famous intrepid reporter David Murphy-Lenihan?
Fearless defender of the truth handed down to him from on high?

Anglo Celt

On Radio One this afternoon, while the BBC were reporting the negotiations in Brussels, Joe Duffy was on Liveline discussing whether the foreign media had an anti-Irish agenda.
:roll:

Sounds about right. When you've nothing left to offer, accuse everyone of having an anti-Irish agenda. They've used that one a few times over the years...

slippy wicket

:roll:

Sounds about right. When you've nothing left to offer, accuse everyone of having an anti-Irish agenda. They've used that one a few times over the years...
What would you expect from that shill duffy.
hardly value for money eh

D

Deleted member 9361

I posted this here 3 days ago.
Here is an example of unbalanced media and unbalanced reporting from the one o clock news last Thursday from Rte.
This was at a time when our Bonds were touching 9%, and notice how the Anchor man states in the opening headline that "The wholesale group AIM plan to create more than 2000 jobs in Ireland over the next four years."
Now lets skip to the interview with Nigel Broadhurst from Iceland Uk.
And I will sum up, Iceland have expectations and these expectations are highly dependent on the company getting the right sites .
RTÉ Player: Catch up with your favourite TV programmes online
No hysteria in Ireland as Rte don the green jersey, most people only watch the headlines but if you waited around for seven minutes what was one of the biggest stories in Europe and America on that morning did get a mention.

krusty

If you go onto rte.ie the first thing you see is, "The Taoiseach has told the Dáil that despite rumours, Ireland had not applied for a funding facility. Watch this story and more". That's the governments stance. Whether you believe it or not is another story. I don't think it's being hidden from the Irish public. .

The Country's future is out of our hands and being decided in a foreign capital and rte.ie are leading with the Taoiseach's denial of a rumour ! . That sums up what the problem is . If you want to know what is going to happen to Irelands sovereignty you have to go to the Guardian's website , if you want to hear what the Taoiseach has to say about a rumour which is totally besides the point go to RTE. The Irish Media and Fianna Fail are letting this country down badly

midlander12

Don't forget the demo on the 27th in Dublin.

Its hard to believe, but we have to watch foreign media to get a handle on what's really going on. Irish media blackout ?
Well actually I would regard the ICTU as part of the problem and part of the reason 'we are where we are', also they've been noticeably if not deafeningly quiet over the past few days. All those years of trough-sharing with Bertie and Biffo and campaigning for Yes votes to Lisbon etc have obviously come home to roost.

plantfirmly

The Country's future is out of our hands and being decided in a foreign capital and rte.ie are leading with the Taoiseach's denial of a rumour ! . That sums up what the problem is . If you want to know what is going to happen to Irelands sovereignty you have to go to the Guardian's website , if you want to hear what the Taoiseach has to say about a rumour which is totally besides the point go to RTE. The Irish Media and Fianna Fail are letting this country down badly
On Frontline the topic of lost Sovereignty was discussed. Look, I'm not saying RTE are doing the issue justice, but people are exaggerating the lack of media coverage on this and many other threads.

Not only was there nothing on at 5pm about that lousy clowen's speech, but it wasn't even the first or the second item on the agenda on RTE3, I realise the stories told first are awful, tragic, but I know I was not alone waiting with baited breath because when I switched on P.ie as soon as I got in at 4.55pm, there was an obvious logjam ongoing as I could not change page.

chriskavo

Um, I'm no fan of Fianna Fail, but I think a lot of people on this site are winding themselves into hysterics. I've been watching politics.ie to keep an eye on things but it seems posters are really getting ahead of themselves with the constant bashing. Every thread is littered with the same comments of doom and gloom, government denial and media censorship/conspiracy.

Did Frontline last night not cover the topic at hand? In fact Pat Kenny gave the Fianna Fail candidate and his party a bit of a roasting. Now people will get on saying RTE are jumping ship as FF are done (make up your minds)

If you go onto rte.ie the first thing you see is, "The Taoiseach has told the Dáil that despite rumours, Ireland had not applied for a funding facility. Watch this story and more". That's the governments stance. Whether you believe it or not is another story. I don't think it's being hidden from the Irish public. If half the people are more interested in watching Eastenders then so be it. I doubt said people would have too much constructive input anyway. Everyone I've spoken to about what's going on is aware of the situation. Nothing is being hidden. What posters on p.ie are failing to realise is that not everyone in the country is as politically tuned-in as they are. No amount of TV coverage of the topic is going to change that. If RTE didn't air what they wanted(entertainment) then they'd just switch to UTV/BBC instead.

RTE are in no way perfect and FF have been a disaster but a lot of posters here are so consumed in their hatred for FF/The establishment that they're not looking at the whole story from a neutral point of view.
Invalid point.

Tomas Mor

BTW I think David Murphy is good in contrast to Sean Whelan. Murphy must be walking a tight rope in RTE !

picador

Who's with me?
Do you think he meant they were being misled by the government - or by foreign media outlets?

VHF

RTE will be in the mixing pot with all the other cuts and sell off ideas.

They'll be foxnews.ie at some point - they are half way along that journey with their filtering of the news to the Irish population.

RTE are an extension of the Government. Sooner the better people out there realise it.

I know a fair bunch of people through conversations and the like who have not renewed their TV licence and others who are about to follow same action.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom