• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

RTE This Week 31-10-10 Gilmore on Lab economic policy

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Gilmore being toasted. This is just a taste of what he'll have to face when we get to an election campaign. He can run away from the questions now but he cannot do that forever.

For me it's clear how the next election campaign wil go. The first couple of weeks will be spent lambasting the current government for getting us into this position, but after that it will come down to who can do best it getting us out of it and based on what I'm hearing right now, Labour will not have anything concrete to offer there and people won't vote for "a pig in a poke".

gijoe

Gilmore on Social Welfare cuts: €100million from fraud measures, and.....and ......and nothing else!

Newsy

Gilmore being toasted. This is just a taste of what he'll have to face when we get to an election campaign. He can run away from the questions now but he cannot do that forever.

For me it's clear how the next election campaign wil go. The first couple of weeks will be spent lambasting the current government for getting us into this position, but after that it will come down to who can do best it getting us out of it and based on what I'm hearing right now, Labour will not have anything concrete to offer there and people won't vote for "a pig in a poke".
What questions, EXACTLY, is he running away from????

Newsy

Gilmore on Social Welfare cuts: €100million from fraud measures, and.....and ......and nothing else!
Rent allowance........didn't you hear that, TWICE!!!!!

Keith-M

Website
What questions, EXACTLY, is he running away from????
He's dodging questions left right and centre, the biggest one being the scale of the adjustment that is necessary. If a firm of stockbrokers can come up with a number, why can't the Labour Party?

Baron von Biffo

He's dodging questions left right and centre, the biggest one being the scale of the adjustment that is necessary. If a firm of stockbrokers can come up with a number, why can't the Labour Party?
Stockbrokers wont have to govern on the basis of figures they pull out of their arse. If the past couple of years have taught us anything it should have been to take with a pinch of salt the figures produced by stockbrokers, economists and other charlatans.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
He said he's in favour of slashing PS pensions.
In line with salaries of the higher paid, was what I heard him say.

I though Crowley was good too.

Altogether it was an all too rare positive radio experience.

For what it's worth, I think far deeper cuts are going to be needed, and that Croke Park is going to have to go out the window, and I think Gilmore knows that too.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Stockbrokers wont have to govern on the basis of figures they pull out of their arse. If the past couple of years have taught us anything it should have been to take with a pinch of salt the figures produced by stockbrokers, economists and other charlatans.
... and government spokesperson and ministers for finance...

you can say that again.

Keith-M

Website

No one is asking him to pull figures of of his arse. If Labour had REAL policies and lived in the real world then Gilmore would be able to say "if the figure is €15bn, thisis what we'd do". If the numbers turn out to be wrong, so be it, but at least the electorate will have a real picture of what will happen if they are stupid enough to viote for Labour.

Tomorrow SF are publishing their "dummy budget". It's a sad state of affairs when the Shinners are able to put concrete proposals on the table and Labour won't. As I said Labour can get away with he smoke and mirrors at the moment, but when e get to an election campaign, Gilmore and his cronies will be found out.

wombat

I'm surprised he agreed to the interview, he was on a hiding to nothing - if he was specific, FF would attack whatever he said, if he was not, he will be accused of waffling. He was correct, we have a govt. in power with access to whatever info is available, they need to bring firm proposals to the Dáil

Keith-M

Website
In line with salaries of the higher paid, was what I heard him say.

I though Crowley was good too.

Altogether it was an all too rare positive radio experience.

For what it's worth, I think far deeper cuts are going to be needed, and that Croke Park is going to have to go out the window, and I think Gilmore knows that too.

Of course he does. When Labour finally admit that there are going to have to be redundancies, then Croke Park is dead and buried. However the 15k numbers that he was mentioning are far too low. It needs to be five times that many.

Anyone over 60 and working in the public service should be tapped on the shoulder. They have a generous pension scheme, so there should be no reduncancy payment whatsoever.

wombat

As I said Labour can get away with he smoke and mirrors at the moment, but when e get to an election campaign, Gilmore and his cronies will be found out.
Why do you think that, FF were never found out:lol:

Keith-M

Website
I'm surprised he agreed to the interview, he was on a hiding to nothing - if he was specific, FF would attack whatever he said, if he was not, he will be accused of waffling. He was correct, we have a govt. in power with access to whatever info is available, they need to bring firm proposals to the Dáil
They will. It's called "The Budget". It happens every year. Labour have been given access to the information available to the government and still cannot or will not say what they would do. The only thing of substance they've come up with is a 1/1 ratio of tax increases to spending cuts. I know of no one who thinks that the economy can sustain €7.5bn in tax increases. The smoke and mirrors have to be blown away.

Popular Threads

Most Replies