RTE: Time to bring gravy-train to an end??

BarryW

Today's JNLR radio figures make for stark reading.
Gerry Ryan has seen a catastrophic fall in his listenership down 10% on last year.
Pat Kenny's listenership has also fallen, and Joe Duffy's audience has plummetted.
No figures are given for RTE's "great white hope" Ryan Tubridy, who was recently axed from the Rose of Tralee - but its interesting to note that his departure led to a huge boost in TV ratings :eek:

And yet Ryan, Kenny and Duffy are all being paid more than the Taoiseach! :shock:

The licence fee paid by hard-up PAYE workers doesn't justify this trash, and these poor performances.
Now that Marian Finucane has met a sorry demise, it is time for the grave train to come to an end, and give the chop to these goons as well.
Although, when the best they have in the way of new talent is Ryan Tubridy, you can understand RTE's reluctance to do so

Vietato

BarryW said:
Gerry Ryan has seen a catastrophic fall in his listenership down 10% on last year.
Pat Kenny's listenership has also fallen, and Joe Duffy's audience has plummetted.
I can't stand Gerry Ryan but he's better than Ray D'Arcy.
You are using "catastrophic" do describe a 10% fall.
Please, what term would you use to describe a 20% one?
BTW I think Ryan Tubridy is the biz, on radio anyway

Kerrygold

BarryW said:
Today's JNLR radio figures make for stark reading.
No figures are given for RTE's "great white hope" Ryan Tubridy, who was recently axed from the Rose of Tralee - but its interesting to note that his departure led to a huge boost in TV ratings :eek:

And yet Ryan, Kenny and Duffy are all being paid more than the Taoiseach! :shock:

The licence fee paid by hard-up PAYE workers doesn't justify this trash, and these poor performances.
Now that Marian Finucane has met a sorry demise, it is time for the grave train to come to an end, and give the chop to these goons as well.
Although, when the best they have in the way of new talent is Ryan Tubridy, you can understand RTE's reluctance to do so
I don't think Tubridy was axed. He just didn't want to do it again.

Vietato

aodh_rua said:
Vietato said:
Surely not! Ray's great - the pride of Kildare, and I thought he did a great job up above down below in the Dome.
I didn't watch the ROT.
However I've, on occasion, turned over to TodayFM to escape from Gerry Ryan and, mother of God, D'Arcy is sooo boringly nice. He thinks it's entertaining if he laughs, which he does a lot, usually in meaningless banter with someone equally uninteresting.

PinkoLeftie

FranklyFiction said:
I like Gerry Ryan, he is so egocentric its hilarious
True. I find I can laugh with Ray D'Arcy but I can only laugh at Gerry Ryan.
Bring back Marty!

cllr

PinkoLeftie said:
FranklyFiction said:
Bring back Marty!
I nearly thought you said Bring back Marian and that would blight my mornings.

Vietato

cllr said:
PinkoLeftie said:
FranklyFiction said:
Bring back Marty!
I nearly thought you said Bring back Marian and that would blight my mornings.
I like Marian Finucane. However I like Tom McGurk more and he's going to lose out when she gets all of Sat and Sun mornings

cllr

[I nearly thought you said Bring back Marian and that would blight my mornings.[/quote]

I like Marian Finucane. However I like Tom McGurk more and he's going to lose out when she gets all of Sat and Sun mornings[/quote]

Good for you. I don't and my experiences of dealing with her as a Public Representative have not been particularly positive.

Parnell

aodh_rua said:
Vietato said:
Surely not! Ray's great - the pride of Kildare, and I thought he did a great job up above down below in the Dome.
Are you comparing Ray d'arcy to God or the other fella :wink:

Vietato

cllr said:
my experiences of dealing with her as a Public Representative have not been particularly positive.
You can't just spark our interest and leave it at that. Spill

cllr

Vietato said:
cllr said:
my experiences of dealing with her as a Public Representative have not been particularly positive.
Sometimes I am accused of not speaking my mind so:

"I thought she was rude, ignorant and persuing her own agenda". I do not like the way she uses her programmes, I do not like her condescending tones, I do not like her attitude to Local Government and quite frankly giving her Saturday and Sunday mornings will see me turn to other radio staions or just put on some music". That helpful!!!!!!

Vietato

cllr said:
Vietato said:
cllr said:
Sometimes I am accused of not speaking my mind so:

"I thought she was rude, ignorant and persuing her own agenda". I do not like the way she uses her programmes, I do not like her condescending tones, I do not like her attitude to Local Government and quite frankly giving her Saturday and Sunday mornings will see me turn to other radio staions or just put on some music". That helpful!!!!!!
Can't you be more specific?
What I'd like to read is evidence of how St Marian behaved in a venal way.
How, for example she tried to gain personal advantage by using her position etc.
Otherwise it sounds more like sour grapes from a politician called to account by a campaigning journalist, I'm afraid. :(
Can you give us anything like that?

cllr

Campaigning journalist my foot. Promise I will come back to this but I have to rush off somewhere. Sorry about that.

Libero

You fules... :x
Don't you get it?!?

Gerry Ryan, Tubridy, Pat Kenny and others are immensely tålented broadcasters. If they are not paid hundreds of thousands each, they will doubtless be poached by rival English-speaking stations, in Ireland or abroad. The fact that no high-profile RTĒ broadcaster has actually been poached shows that the current approach is working well.

In the highly, highly unlikely event that no other station moved in for a more poorly-paid RTĒ broadcaster, then no doubt that broadcaster would still leave Montrose and do something else for their Ubermenschian qualities do not begin and end in front of a microphone - oh no.

That, my friends, is the irrefutable logic behind paying these fellas a whole load of money. I'm sure you all agree, unless you want to destroy public broadcasting in this great little nation of ours.

Vietato

Libero said:
You fules... :x
Don't you get it?!?

Gerry Ryan, Tubridy, Pat Kenny and others are immensely tålented broadcasters. If they are not paid hundreds of thousands each, they will doubtless be poached by rival English-speaking stations, in Ireland or abroad. The fact that no high-profile RTĒ broadcaster has actually been poached shows that the current approach is working well.

In the highly, highly unlikely event that no other station moved in for a more poorly-paid RTĒ broadcaster, then no doubt that broadcaster would still leave Montrose and do something else for their Ubermenschian qualities do not begin and end in front of a microphone - oh no.

That, my friends, is the irrefutable logic behind paying these fellas a whole load of money. I'm sure you all agree, unless you want to destroy public broadcasting in this great little nation of ours.
see also: barrister fees

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies