• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

RTE to charge for online content

Ulster-Lad

It is report today in the Sindo that RTE are to start charging a fee for all online content. This will be for overseas users and does not apply to the Irish audience because we pay licensing fees.

I wonder how much of the diaspora utilise RTE as a news source?

Noel Curran has told journalism students at the University of Limerick that those who consume news and media via their laptop or mobile phones are going to have to prepay for it, as news aggregators are lifting it for free while the original producers bear all the costs.

He revealed that RTE was set to start charging overseas users of their website for some of their online content before the end of the year.

controller

I never use them as a news source..ever. I only use them for G.A.A. fixtures and results

borntorum

Fair enough. We don't get the BBC iplayer for free. Well, not legally anyway

DuineEile

Three. Words.

Virtual Private Network.

D

Ribeye

Ha ha ha haaa ha ha ha,

Ha,

Sync

Presumably it'll also cover Irish football and Rabo12 games which I can certainly see a market for. I agree it's not going to make a huge amount of money and that there are ways to get around the VPN, but there's no reason not to try and make that money.

Ribeye

Presumably it'll also cover Irish football and Rabo12 games which I can certainly see a market for. I agree it's not going to make a huge amount of money and that there are ways to get around the VPN, but there's no reason not to try and make that money.
Sure they don't need the money, didn't ye read the report, they GAVE €384 million to the economy in 2011,

Rejoice,

Tin Foil Hat

I'd prefer if they charged for all their content, on and offline, within Ireland and beyond it. And shag off with that stoopid licence fee.

theObserver@hotmail.com

Good. I suspect the income from this scheme will be poor and that it might, just might, make apparent just how crap RTEs service is.

opinions

More cash for trash

Tin Foil Hat

Good. I suspect the income from this scheme will be poor and that it might, just might, make apparent just how crap RTEs service is.
They know their service is crap. But why would they care. We have to pay for it whether we want it or not.

They also know that they will make very little money for this. Directly anyway. But, if they are seen to charge foreigners for their online service, while not charging us, it can be used as an argument for converting the TV licence into a mandatory household charge.

tigerben

RTE has a ego that's it's reputation doesn't match, a bit like politicans. It's not going to like the lack of the Irish diaspora willing to pay. But no matter they'll say it's a great success .

Analyzer

Sure they don't need the money, didn't ye read the report, they GAVE €384 million to the economy in 2011,

Rejoice,
How much of that did they give to the consultants to write a BS report ?

Collection of jokers. And that is only the clowns that wrote the report.

Is there anyway that I can boycott PWC ?

Ribeye

How much of that did they give to the consultants to write a BS report ?

Collection of jokers. And that is only the clowns that wrote the report.

Is there anyway that I can boycott PWC ?
Going on previous experience, I'd say that report cost around €150k,

And that's just pocket change compared to what they're getting from Nama,