RTE to cut staff ( 300 ), sell land, radical restructure .. is it enough?

robut

RTÉ to cut 300 jobs - Independent.ie

Up to 300 jobs are set to be lost over the next two years at RTÉ as the State broadcaster unveils a radical restructuring.

Also today, it has put almost nine acres of its lands in Donnybrook on the market and is looking for €75m.
Voluntary redundancy over next two years

BUT

However, those losses are set to be offset by new hires of more than 80 to serve RTÉ's new content strategy at a time when the media industry is facing a number of challenges, including Brexit, and as digital becomes the primary source of news for consumers.
I hear no mention of salary cuts of the top peeps?

As it is should RTE be privatised or sent out to pasture?

It is not sustainable at the moment unless this serious restructure works .. ? I have my doubts ..

If RTE disappeared I reckon the license would not get dumped regardless. Its going to be changed to a media license covering many devices. That license fee would just go onto the central fund. Another tax!

RTE DG Dee Forbes on TodaySOR at mo. Softly suggesting DOUBLING the license fee to €320 per annum as it is in scandanavia. Would you guys still pay that?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/its-incredible-value-for-money-rtes-new-director-general-wants-to-double-tv-licence-fee-35554991.html

RTE’s new Director General wants to double the licence fee for taxpayers, to a fee of €320.

"If you look to places like the Scandinavian markets where their licence fee over double that and you see what you're getting for that, quite honestly the content is singing," she said.

"What I'm saying to you is the more money we have to play with content the more we can do."
She said the cash from land sale is to refurb some buildings and update some equip ..

Scratching bottom of barrel ...

Last edited:

Sister Mercedes

RTE DG Dee Forbes on TodaySOR at mo. Softly suggesting DOUBLING the license fee to €320 per annum as it is in scandanavia. Would you guys still pay that? .
Oh Dee you've gone native in Montrose very quickly. There's a notable difference between RTE and public television in Scandinavia. Take the main public channel in Sweden ...

Sveriges Television ... is barred from accepting advertisements except in the case of sponsors for sporting events.

Sister Mercedes

This is theft. Valuable publicly-owned assets are being auctioned off to pay for the over-inflated salaries of the PS *cough* talent in Montrose.

silverharp

get rid of the licence and collapse RTE into TG4 and give it a wedge of gov money. being forced to pay money so a bunch of narcissists can make cooking shows and other crap is extortion.

amsterdemmetje

Just got the tail end of SOR any mention of their loss of the SIX Nations coverage ?
Gosh if she says gosh one more time .

mr_anderson

Lets hope this is just the beginning.
End the licence fee.
End the symbiotic back-scratching between the 'public' broadcaster and whatever government is in power.
End the obscene salaries for mediocre 'talent'.

I wonder if they had a choice between cutting salaries and cutting jobs and decided on the latter ?

For starters though, RTE should be moved to Jobstown and the land sold off with proceeds returned to taxpayers.

Spanner Island

I suspect RTE will only ever be appreciated for what it was after it has gone...

The TV3 stable of TV3, 3E & BE3 is a pretty dismal example of the alternative...

nationalsday

Jaysus - what sort of monstrosity will be built there. Denis O'Brien also has large site at Greenfield Park which I think is just barely being held up by residents protests. Area will eventually end up like Tallaght. Wont expect any consultation with the residents by RTE.

Spanner Island

Just got the tail end of SOR any mention of their loss of the SIX Nations coverage ?
Gosh if she says gosh one more time .
TV3 made a complete balls of the World Cup...

RTE losing the Six Nations to them isn't a positive development... imo.

No doubt other sports won't be long following them either...

mr_anderson

I suspect RTE will only ever be appreciated for what it was after it has gone...
Absolutely.
I'm ehhh going to ehhh miss the extreme ehhhh talent and broadcasting professionalism of ehhh Ray D'arsey.
Remind me of his salary again ?

robut

No mention what so ever by Sean or Dee Forbes on the todaySOR interview about pay cuts.

This appears to be the top 5 wage packets? That we know of? How about the management in the background? Are they near this level also?

Spanner Island

Yet I watch them far more than I watch Montrose ...
They're all pretty abysmal these days... although the production levels in RTE are way better than TV3 for the home produced stuff by and large...

There are exceptions of course... but just look at the Ireland AM set any day of the week and at the garden shed shambles it is...

Regardless of budget... those responsible for creating such a dismal mess of a set shouldn't have jobs... imo...

'Terrestrial' television channels are only going to get worse however, as content is increasingly paid for by viewers...

silverharp

The TV3 stable of TV3, 3E & BE3 is a pretty dismal example of the alternative...
its a dying medium , a lot of kids don't even watch tv anymore and more adults are moving to on demand TV so the concept of a station wont mean what it used to. for instance if RTE are using taxpayer money to buy foreign programmes this should stop as there are alternate and in many cases free ways of seeing these programmes or the viewer is paying twice as they already have an alternate service.

amsterdemmetje

TV3 made a complete balls of the World Cup...

RTE losing the Six Nations to them isn't a positive development... imo.

No doubt other sports won't be long following them either...
The only part of the Six nations coverage i enjoy is the studio coverage. I will not miss Ryle Nugent the worse commentary i have ever heard, (a nephew of Fred Cogley who i actually liked)I watch it on BBC and then suffer RTE when they have no coverage .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies