• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

RTE1 TV50 "God on the Box"

PUFF DADDY

Just switched this on now, interesting on the influence of the "bishops" had on the early stages of RTE etc...

PUFF DADDY

It is now on abortion/divorce/gays in the 80s/90s.... an interesting reeling in the years if your like ;)

PUFF DADDY

There's "Bishop" Casey on the reel pre 1979 Pope Visit :) & here's annie murphy ( a gaybo fcik up if you like)

PUFF DADDY

Ah Ballinspittle and the burger vans & moving statues (am on me own here :)

rgaok

Do you notice down through the years how the bishops and priests initially controlled every aspect of Irish lives and gradually lost it.
They opposed contraception, divorce, gay people, state-controlled education. Their last big battle now is abortion.
god but we have been such an appallingly priest-ridden country...

Blossie

He was called Michael Cleary and he was a real scumbag...
So sorry, as you can see my knowledge of priests is limited. I agree that MICHAEL Cleary was a scumbag of the highest order.

darkknight

I agree with Bill O'Herlihy that - beneath and beyond the craziness of traditional institutional religion in the Ireland of yesteryear - something very important has been lost in the rush to a very shallow brand of 'secularism'. There was a 'spiritual' intuition that helped many Irish people to get through very hard times and personal crises. Nowadays, far too many people feel hopeless, even to the extent of deciding to end their own lives. The demise of the crazy stuff may clear the ground for a healthier type of 'religious faith', or personal philosophy, that includes the realisation that there is far more to life than the economy, career, social status, etc.

Man or Mouse

Didn't exactly watch it, but saw bits. The linkage between CLG agus na hEaspaig was daunting. Not to mention the cupla focal.

However, it took the sight of poorly clad wretches climbing the reek to really get me thinking. Which made me wonder, what need is there for a chicken in the pot when we can ascend such heavenly heights?

As Bertie Ahern once put it, smokes and mirrors.

Great show well done to all involved,I remember the era when the church word was the only word,thank God that seems to be changing! Still some good lads and lassies left in the church.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies