RTE's Moanfest is out of this world

wombat

At this stage, we are all used to RTE's obsession with negative news. If they can't find enough negativity locally, they will go to the far side of the world to find some. Last night, they travelled a record 500,000 km to bring us what they hoped would be a disaster. The European space agency tried to land a probe on Mars but it landed too fast and crashed. RTE expected to be told that the mission was a waste of millions of euro but it turns out that it was mostly successful and the final landing was a practice for a future attempt to land a rover. I guess they'll have to find where Sean Healy is hiding to fill next week's quota of misery.

wombat

We're lucky they didn't send a reporter and camera crew to the scene.

Therightroad

If their Pay in RTE was aligned with other national news stations in Mainland Europe ie a 30-40% pay reduction ...there would be plenty of Negative news for the RTE fat cats !!

im axeled

We're lucky they didn't send a reporter and camera crew to the scene.
they could not justify the cost of it to the pac, otherwise they would have, the milage expenses would have the td's in the hapenny class

blokesbloke

I thought, considering that this is P.ie, that this was a cruel play on words and RTÉ were doing a "Joan Fest", a festival celebrating my Joanie Burton.

I am very cross to find this is not the case.

Still it's a good idea for a future show. There could be a month-long JoanFest with my Joanie on RTÉ daily.

irish dog

Well they have enough of their staff over in the US following Trump around.
Like we cant watch sky or CNN.

Strawberry

I thought, considering that this is P.ie, that this was a cruel play on words and RTÉ were doing a "Joan Fest", a festival celebrating my Joanie Burton.

I am very cross to find this is not the case.

Still it's a good idea for a future show. There could be a month-long JoanFest with my Joanie on RTÉ daily.
*shudder*

I'd rather RTE made broadcasts of people scraping their fingernails down blackboards for a month.

Super Caley

Apparently the licence fee is great value all together

(It must be, I heard someone say so on the wireless)

Roll_On

I'm going to be controversial here and say I'm broadly satisfied with RTÉ as a public broadcaster. The content is...OK.. with some very good highlights. Aside from the UK, the television offering across Europe is actually pretty poor. In all of German speaking Europe I can think of 2 shows worth watching for example. Spain has some interesting tv. The rest is pretty bland and stereotypical of the host country.

I would like to see less money spent on the celeb wages and more money spent on enhancing the content. I think the problem is the celebs will try and ape the wages of someone in a similar position over in the bbc, while failing to acknowledge that the BBC effectively provides a global service and their entertainers/presenters arrived at their role through innate talent and hard work, not through the Fianna Fáil cumann.

Hiring a professional to present the late late might be a good start for example going forward. Maybe Al Porter matures a bit he'd consider it?

Super Caley

I'm going to be controversial here and say I'm broadly satisfied with RTÉ as a public broadcaster. The content is...OK.. with some very good highlights. Aside from the UK, the television offering across Europe is actually pretty poor. In all of German speaking Europe I can think of 2 shows worth watching for example. Spain has some interesting tv. The rest is pretty bland and stereotypical of the host country.

I would like to see less money spent on the celeb wages and more money spent on enhancing the content. I think the problem is the celebs will try and ape the wages of someone in a similar position over in the bbc, while failing to acknowledge that the BBC effectively provides a global service and their entertainers/presenters arrived at their role through innate talent and hard work, not through the Fianna Fáil cumann.

Hiring a professional to present the late late might be a good start for example going forward. Maybe Al Porter matures a bit he'd consider it?
RTE are certainly better than the so called "independent" sector broadcasters (i.e. the commercial dependent sector). My problem with RTE is that it mixes public licence fee with commercial advertising. This isn't just irritating when you have to sit through long spell of commercial propaganda at half time, but makes the editorial independence of RTE questionable. That other pillar of our media, the IT failed miserably in their duty to critique the property boom a few years ago and had an obvious conflict of interest such was their income from property revenue.

Now RTE are not as bad, but the difference of course is that they are partially publicly funded. Why public funds to pay celeb salaries?

I'm all for a genuine PSB, but it almost defeats the purpose if they are also taking the advertisers shilling. RTE should downgrade, leave the celeb trash to the private sector and concentrate on current affairs, and advert free children's programmes, with a bit of major free to air sports events.

flavirostris

Who watches or listens to it? It's biased, boring leftwing crap. Newstalk may actually be even worse. Since Hook left his evening slot, it's just that bland, pencil-necked bore Chris Donoghue.

Hook would have the odd colourful rant about Islam or refugees. I could never imagine Donoghue doing that in a million years.

Aindriu

At this point I think I watch the six one news and rugby if RTÉ are covering it - it is mostly TG4 that covers Irish rugby these days. I am getting to the point where six one news will be off my list soon. Highly biased presentations/opinions/interviewing from Dobs & Shaz and very little news from outside of Bally go backwards.

Boy M5

It's a shame we can't send Tubbs, JoeDuffy and Finnucane to Mars.
Haven't you read War of the Worlds?

The Martians would be forced to retaliate - they're nasty fellas too.

Still the Martian atmosphere maybe good for Finucane's cattarh.

"In space no-one can hear you cough"

Feckkit

I've actually not watched the news on RTE or anywhere else for years now.

The same with all those tired, relentless "current affairs" programmes - to which, one time, I'd have been be glued.

Really, I just couldn't take any more of it; utter shyte, designed to depress; the same old same old 'we've-all-seen-it-a-thousand-times-before' faked-up, hyped-up grunge that, effectively, tries to out-do soap operas for 'effect'.

I feel more or less the same about the rest of the programming on TV.

The technology was never better - the content never worse. I mean look at this:

"Can't Pay We'll Take It Away Special: Big Family Bust Up One-off edition in which the High Court enforcement agents are caught in the crossfire of three bitter family disputes, including a debt-dodging man who pushes his panic-stricken mother over the edge. Plus, a family booted onto the streets at night by a ruthless aunt, and a man who won't engage with the agents and loses his car..."

It's no wonder people exposed to the likes of this 24/7, hooked, are quietly fusing into deep despair and losing their collective will to live...

Yours sincerely,

Victor :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies