• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

RTE's new morning show ( 'Morning Edition') starts at 9am today. For the unemployed!

YesSireeeBob

RTE wakes up nation with new breakfast show Presenter Keelin Shanley on the set of new RTE show 'Morning Edition', which starts today. El Keegan - National News - Independent.ie

The headline in the Indo is "RTE wakes up nation with new breakfast show", so I thought I better get the tv switched on so I could have a quick look.

But then as I read the report, I soon found out there would be no need - the show starts at 9am!

And then to cap it all off:

Ms Shanley admits she has yet to think about what kind of audience will watch the new programme.

"I suppose a likely audience are those people at home and the unemployed who would previously have been working.
The show, which is basically an RTE news show, should start at the latest 8am. 7 or 7.30 would be better.
They could then repeat it at 9 - 10am for anyone that missed it.

It has taken RTE nearly 30 years since a morning show was first mooted, so maybe they'll change the start time around 2043.

Vega1447

An audience of 400,000 plus stay at home parents...
Not a bad start.

daveL

I'm sure like every other 'topical' show RTE attempts; it will be shoite

D

Dylan2010

Not a bad start.
I dont think you understand the life of normal stay at home parents , putting on the TV at 9am is not part of the daily routine.

Ulster-Lad

I am watching it now. They should have a bit of "eye candy" to present. petunia

Mitsui2

Not a bad start.
A slightly disturbing insight into RTE planning though that they'd launch a new show first and only then start thinking about who might watch it.

Though it explains much RTE programming.

Limerick Lad

I imagine the timing is something to do with "Morning Ireland" and the fear that some of its listener-ship would leak to a competing RTE television news show if both were scheduled at the same time.

shiel

I thought Keelin Shanley was so much better than the others when she was on prime time. I do not know why she was not given more scope there?

I do not watch tv at nine o'clock in the morning but hope she does well there.

Ryan Tubbs

Keelin Shanley doesn't do much for me (although she has a hell of a lot more grey matter and journalistic instinct than Mammaries O'Callaghan) and Anthony Murnane is one of the most lifeless, boring presenters on RTE.

I can't imagine that this show will be particularly enthralling, but I will tune in this week to check it out.

Ryan Tubbs

Wait a second, speaking of which, doesn't this show violate the golden rule of RTÉ: that every single programme which is vaguely related to news, current affairs, or light entertainment MUST feature Miriam O'Callaghan's tits prominently?

I'm pretty sure it's written into the RTE charter. And Bunreacht na hEireann.

Every other crappy RTE show does, so why not this one?

commonman

Wait a second, speaking of which, doesn't this show violate the golden rule of RTÉ: that every single programme which is vaguely related to news, current affairs, or light entertainment MUST feature Miriam O'Callaghan's tits prominently?

I'm pretty sure it's written into the RTE charter. And Bunreacht na hEireann.

Every other crappy RTE show does, so why not this one?
Its to early in the morning for them to be up!!

Disillusioned democrat

I thought Keelin Shanley was so much better than the others when she was on prime time. I do not know why she was not given more scope there?

I do not watch tv at nine o'clock in the morning but hope she does well there.
Miriam O'Callaghan is the reason - you can't have some upstart like Shanley outshining the queen bee, and she has the connections to make sure too.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies