RT's UK Bank Account Blocked -Prelude to Outright Ban?

Destiny's Soldier

https://www.rt.com/news/363013-rt-uk-accounts-blocked/

Wonder what the logic will be on this one? Promotion of Anti-British Values?

RT editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan said that all the company's accounts in the UK have been blocked.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The RT broadcaster's accounts have been blocked in the United Kingdom, Editor-in-Chief Margarita Simonyan said Monday, suggesting that the move stifles free speech. "Our accounts in the UK have been closed. All Accounts. 'The decision is not subject to revision'. Long live freedom of speech!" Simonyan said in a Twitter post

https://sputniknews.com/world/201605141039618941-us-nato-russia-media/

Some politicians, military officials and experts "are firmly convinced" that news and analysis offered by Russian media outlets could "mislead" readers in the West, he added. "NATO thinks that Russia has developed a new type of military strategy, 'hybrid warfare,' that combines military operations, insurgency and a massive propaganda campaign."

Last edited:

jmcc

Wonder if any detailed UK coverage of the reasoning will be D-noticed?

drummed

Taking back control! Welcome to Brexit suckers.

sadcitizen

Check out RT on TV if you can. Reporters reporting live in a confused manner about it.

drummed

RT have a Dublin office now. I wonder will they be expanding it?
If you know where it is better get there quick. I foresee a line of posters arriving there looking for their cheques.

silverharp

I doubt many people watch their TV service , their online stuff is more widely seen but worrying from a free speech perspective

sadcitizen

Hm yeah, judging from the letter they just read out, it sounds more as if they haven't been paying their bills rather than their accounts being frozen.

Destiny's Soldier

Clearly RT has damaged my brain irrevocably.

It shows how perverse the West has become. Shut down free speech or opinions counter to Western/NATO propaganda.

Maybe a sign of an October surprise attack on Russia -cyber, media or military. Hold on tight things are going to get nasty. Former President of the USSR Gorbachev, says that relations between Russia and the US is worse than at any time during the cold war.
Will we even live to see where it ends?

Edo

any chance of some outside verification? - any chance of a statement from "them" who have allegedly "frozen, closed" RT's accounts?

Not that I have any doubts whatsover about RT's account of things...........:rolleyes:

captain obvious

Big question is what is going to happen in the US? If they shut that down then it's a pity because I quite enjoyed watching the attractive and surgical Gayane Chichikyan making the state department squirm.

drummed

Clearly RT has damaged my brain irrevocably.

It shows how perverse the West has become. Shut down free speech or opinions counter to Western/NATO propaganda.

Maybe a sign of an October surprise attack on Russia -cyber, media or military. Hold on tight things are going to get nasty. Former President of the USSR Gorbachev, says that relations between Russia and the US is worse than at any time during the cold war.
Will we even live to see where it ends?
Ahhh, according to RT themselves they have outstanding accounts all over town and may be insolvent.

The old Putin cash box has run out. Time to check behind the sofa for loose change methinks.

You could show your support by starting an online petition to raise donations and get the ball rolling. Posters can declare how much they have contributed to protect free speech. Get going, there's no time to lose.

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

Some politicians, military officials and experts "are firmly convinced" that news and analysis offered by Russian media outlets could "mislead" readers in the West, he added. "NATO thinks that Russia has developed a new type of military strategy, 'hybrid warfare,' that combines military operations, insurgency and a massive propaganda campaign."
Let me preface this, I don't like the Russia's geopolitical ways and means, but this is rediculous.

So Trump and Brexit are Russian creations then? Perhaps some politicians, military officials and experts might want some convincing in the abilities of their own populations to mislead themselves in the first instance.

Also, the hybrid warfare part is pure hyperbole, China released a total warfare strategy over ten years ago, NATO nations have always followed the same strategy, and online attacks are now the new norm in the background. This is as old as war itself.

drummed

We should all club together and send them some money to continue their free speech crusade.

Who's with me?

silverharp

it would be almost worth seeing them go down just so it gets Galloway off the air, I hope they owe him a bundle ;-)

drummed

Soooo, nobody is with me then? Weasels!!!:mad:

Old Mr Grouser

Hm yeah, judging from the letter they just read out, it sounds more as if they haven't been paying their bills rather than their accounts being frozen.
You can't jump to conclusions, but that's very likely.

The reality is that these important foreign organisations do get special concessions, but they know that, and sometimes they push things to far and suffer the consequences.

(I know that myself from when I was working.)

New Threads

Most Replies