• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ruairi Quinn to pair with Tanaiste on Wednesday to allow her to travel to the US

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Ruairi Quinn has confirmed that following a phone call from the Tanaiste Mary Coughlan this evening he will be pairing with her on Wednesday to allow her to travel to the US.

Ruairi Quinn said:
The Tanaiste, Mary Coughlan TD, telephoned me this evening and briefed me on her proposed visit to the United States which would result in her absence from the Dail on Wednesday when she was due to answer oral questions on education.

Having heard what the Tanaiste had to say and having spoken during the day to others who were involved in the planning of this trip I am satisfied that this is an important visit with significant job creation potential.

I subsequently discussed the matter with the Labour Party Leader, Eamon Gilmore TD and the Party Whip, Emmet Stagg, and we have agreed on this occasion to facilitate the Tanaiste with a pair for Wednesday and Thursday.

I want to emphasise that this is a one-off arrangement, based only on our belief that with more than 450,000 on the live register, no opportunity should be lost to attract investment from abroad in order to create jobs at home.

The Labour Party remains absolutely committed to earliest possible removal of Fianna Fail from office. This government is incapable of leading this country to economic recovery and the sooner they recognise this and call a general election the better for our people

I also want to reiterate that this controversy could have been avoided had the Tanaiste extended the normal courtesy of contacting the opposition Spokespersons on Education to explain in advance why should would not be present in the Dail to take questions on Wednesday.

Tomas Mor

Mods.Can this not be merged with other thread which covers this aspect of Quinn coming to rescue ?

LeDroit

Short term thinking from Labour. Bad move. Takes the pressure off the Govt and makes a GE less likely. Are they reluctant to take power I wonder, maybe they'd like more time to get their candidates in the field?

uriah

So Ruairí has got Mary off the hook.
When the next Fás scandal breaks, will he regret this?

Ulster-Lad

Originally Posted by Ruairi Quinn
The Tanaiste, Mary Coughlan TD, telephoned me this evening and briefed me on her proposed visit to the United States which would result in her absence from the Dail on Wednesday when she was due to answer oral questions on education.
I guess this is lost now? Specifically, questions on FÁS.

Tomas Mor

Let's hear SFWP Gilmore defend it.

heckler

They've managed to move themselves closer to FF. How can anyone possibly think letting that doll out of the country in any official capacity is a good idea. Her ability to 'solve' any of the issues is a bit like me saying I'll run a 3 minute mile, optimistic but completely unachievable.

turdsl

Labour has come to the rescue of Fianna Fail, It gives the Fianna Fail rebel deputies room to put pressure on the government for their own special needs while Labour do the necessary mop duties.

This is a very unusual situation. Methinks that FG may have acted with the presumption that Labour would follow, thus alienating any co-operation.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could imagine that that female, who is in fact a mirror image of her leader, could garner support to hold her stockings up, let alone the jobs market.

I'm reviewing my situation.

Ulster-Lad

What jobs??? This junket is to attract students to Irish education!!!! She is now the Minister for Education is she not?

Mary Coughlan looked to have been forced to cancel her visit to a meeting of US career counsellors - organised by Enterprise Ireland to try to attract more students to Ireland - after Fine Gael withdrew its vote-pairing arrangement with the Government.
RT News: Tnaiste to travel to US after Labour pairing

LeDroit

This is a very unusual situation. Methinks that FG may have acted with the presumption that Labour would follow, thus alienating any co-operation.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could imagine that that female, who is in fact a mirror image of her leader, could garner support to hold her stockings up, let alone the jobs market.

I'm reviewing my situation.
On top of Labour's FannieMae/Freddie Mac Mortgage Bond announcement today it doesnt inspire confidence does it Laz?

ManOfReason

So Ruairí has got Mary off the hook.
When the next Fás scandal breaks, will he regret this?
He surly will regret it if a picture of her 'high jinks' at a conference is used as a joke on the Jay Leno show next week. :)

jackryan

Labour needs time for more organisation/candidate selection. This is one way of getting it! Coughlan going on this trip is a red herring!

Ulster-Lad

bagel

Talk about shooting oneself in the foot.
Who's eating soup with a fork now?
I despair.
If you're waiting for the Nation to thank you Rory, Go Fook Yourself.

PUFF DADDY

very disappointing action by LAB, just do not get it, I will certainly be reviewing my voting preferences here in DSW. The fact that the govt need to rely on sweary to be here for a govt vote, highlights how fragile this govt is and in the name of democracy, LAB should have stood by FG. Until I get a "signed contract" from Eamonn The Populist that LAB WILL NOT GO INTO GOVT WITH FF under ANY circumstances, they will not be getting my vote, I actually think FG are completely right on this one. And lets be honest what use is calamity over there in fairness, LENO will need to watch closely FFS.

On top of Labour's FannieMae/Freddie Mac Mortgage Bond announcement today it doesnt inspire confidence does it Laz?
Tell me more LeDroit, about this new party?:roll: