• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

RUC interrogator reveals torture to media.

sondagefaux

Reports in the Guardian based on testimony from former RUC officers and others (suspects etc) confirming that torture was routinely used, widespread and encouraged by senior officers. Nothing new to most Irish people I suppose but may come as a surprise to those (mainly deluded British people) who still think that 'fair play' is a British virtue.

Inside Castlereagh: 'We got confessions by torture' | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Video | An RUC interrogator speaks: Northern Ireland's forced confessions revealed | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Hundreds of Northern Ireland 'terrorists' allege police torture | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Murph

It will be a shock to many here too, for many who turned a blind eye -and for others who held and still hold the view that they deserved what they got.

No such thing as innocent until proved guilty - as thatcher said and many gombeens here would agree -all suspects came from the terrorist community

Tomas Mor

When will the torture of the IRA- burning, scalding with hot water,breaking bones, bursting ear drums, suffocating people in baths till almost drowned, be revealed. All these things used emerge at coroner's inquests before the victims were dumped on lonely roads with plastic bags over their heads

SevenStars

When will the torture of the IRA- burning, scalding with hot water,breaking bones, bursting ear drums, suffocating people in baths till almost drowned, be revealed. All these things used emerge at coroner's inquests before the victims were dumped on lonely roads with plastic bags over their heads
Link? Or this that just your fevered imagination working over time?

The IRA knew from suffering torture themselves that it rarely produces accurate information.

We all know the deep rooted moral sickness in your soul after the filth you vomited all over our screens about the good priest Fr Chesney.

fluffykontbiscuits

culmore

I would think that there was bad things done by both sides, time to let it go and move on

Tomas Mor

Link? Or this that just your fevered imagination working over time?

The IRA knew from suffering torture themselves that it rarely produces accurate information.

We all know the deep rooted moral sickness in your soul after the filth you vomited all over our screens about the good priest Fr Chesney.

You should read some facts and history,and also pathologist Jack Crane who had to deal with some of the worst aspects of the IRA torture. Some of the worst torture on victims was concealed from relatives even.

SevenStars

Do you have any idea who Willie Frazer is?

The PSNI/RUC denied him a gun lisence because they consider him far to crazy and according to them he has links with even the most extreme Loyalists.

The guy is a total fantasist and general loon who even most Unionists dont take seriously....

Willie Frazer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

picador

Reports in the Guardian based on testimony from former RUC officers and others (suspects etc) confirming that torture was routinely used, widespread and encouraged by senior officers. Nothing new to most Irish people I suppose but may come as a surprise to those (mainly deluded British people) who still think that 'fair play' is a British virtue.

Inside Castlereagh: 'We got confessions by torture' | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Video | An RUC interrogator speaks: Northern Ireland's forced confessions revealed | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Hundreds of Northern Ireland 'terrorists' allege police torture | UK news | guardian.co.uk
Well, well, well, the wall of silence is breaking at last.

Of course much this has been common knowledge for years. The articles make for shocking reading all the same.

onlyasking

Well done. Fantastic investigatory work. You found stuff about republican brutality. On a little-known but entirely objective website. The Indo.

The whole point in this story, in case you missed it, which I sense you have, is that the unionist/British side of the conflict engaged in those forms of behaviour that they would have us believe marks out their republican enemies as being uniquely violent and evil.

Stemming from this, it's clear that those who put a lot of work into condemning republican violence almost always strive to obscure and deflect attention away from the mirror images of that violence on the unionist/British side.

Another aspect of this is the degree to which the quasi-republic of Ireland co-operated with the brutality of the RUC (not to mention their collusion). The republic's protection of those responsible for the worst mass-murder in the republic's history (Dublin/Monaghan) has to be seen in this overall context.

onlyasking

Well, well, well, the wall of silence is breaking at last.

Of course much this has been common knowledge for years. The articles make for shocking reading all the same.
It's part of the reason that unionists and their supporters are dead-set against a truth commission. They've sooooooooooooo much to lose.

This is the tip of the iceberg. Give it time.

CarnivalOfAction

Yea, yea Willie. And did Irish Governments waste €billions collaborating with the IRA, like they did with British terrorists?

vinoboy

Seems to be a rehash of SF /IRA propaganda in the 1970'S/1980'S.Yes , I do believe that some interrgations were beaten out of suspects ,but that was life in 7O's policing .You must have seen Life on Mars with DCI Gene Hunt.All police forces were different places to what we have today .

picador

Seems to be a rehash of SF /IRA propaganda in the 1970'S/1980'S.Yes , I do believe that some interrgations were beaten out of suspects ,but that was life in 7O's policing .You must have seen Life on Mars with DCI Gene Hunt.All police forces were different places to what we have today .
You really should read the articles in the OP before commenting.

A lot of what was previously dismissed as 'SF/IRA propaganda' has been shown to be true BTW - so much so that it's a worthless term.

CarnivalOfAction

Seems to be a rehash of SF /IRA propaganda in the 1970'S/1980'S..
Ah, you mean that it wasn't propaganda but the truth; like British terrorist collusion & massacres. Welcome to reality, Slow Learner.

vinoboy

You really should read the articles in the OP before commenting.

A lot of what was previously dismissed as 'SF/IRA propaganda' has been shown to be true BTW - so much so that it's a worthless term.
I watched the whole 12 minutes of the video and read the article.Yes , there were strong arm methods used to gain confessions ,future court decisions rectified that matter .Cops were under pressure to get results and resorted to what was common practice in many police forces at the time. All part of the dirty war ,you must be glad we have PSNI ,that stands face to face with rioters in Ardoyne and you can throw golf balls from a close distance.RC recruitment is encouraged along with diversity training, so landscape in policing has changed .
I do not justify mistreating of suspects (cowardly in my opinion) ,however , those were crazy times .

picador

I watched the whole 12 minutes of the video and read the article.Yes , there were strong arm methods used to gain confessions ,future court decisions rectified that matter .Cops were under pressure to get results and resorted to what was common practice in many police forces at the time. All part of the dirty war ,you must be glad we have PSNI ,that stands face to face with rioters in Ardoyne and you can throw golf balls from a close distance.RC recruitment is encouraged along with diversity training, so landscape in policing has changed .
I do not justify mistreating of suspects (cowardly in my opinion) ,however , those were crazy times .
You are understating what was reported. Torture was used systematically in order to extract confessions and send young people to jail for long periods of time. Dozens of cases are in the pricess of review.

It was not a 'few bad apples'. It was the system.

Read wht happened to Dr Irwin when he blew the whistle
Oliver's Army - Chapter 11

Amach na Casca

So you support Police brutality, and you even go as far as to use a fictional 70s bbc cop show to try and justify it. In normal society law and order forces are supposed to be accountable and professional and there is a code of conduct to be adhered to. None of these seem to matter in the fascist orange statelet.

Reports in the Guardian based on testimony from former RUC officers and others (suspects etc) confirming that torture was routinely used, widespread and encouraged by senior officers. Nothing new to most Irish people I suppose but may come as a surprise to those (mainly deluded British people) who still think that \\\'fair play\\\' is a British virtue.

Inside Castlereagh: \\\'We got confessions by torture\\\' | UK news | guardian.co.uk
While the sources insist that not all suspects were mistreated, both IRA suspects and loyalists were beaten, burned with cigarettes or lighters, forced to assume stressful positions for long periods, stripped and humiliated, and sometimes threatened with murder. Some suffered such severe injuries that they were taken to hospital.
I\'m surprised no-one\'s commented on this.

Puts paid to the myth that Loyalists were protected/directed/organised by British security forces.

Or do Nationalists only believe some parts of the piece (that suit them) and not others (the bits that don\'t)?

picador

I\'m surprised no-one\'s commented on this.

Puts paid to the myth that Loyalists were protected/directed/organised by British security forces.
It doesn't put paid to that 'myth' at all. It just illustrates that the relationship between the 'security forces' and loyalists was not a straight forward one.