Rugby Tweets continued

Niall996

Following on from the sacking and exile of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding by Bank of Ireland in response to feminist demands over a couple of tweets, and Roseanne’s ruination over her racist tweet there’s a case currently rumbling on is Australia over an anti gay tweet by top Australian international and key player Israel Folau.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/rugby/wallabies-sponsor-qantas-under-pressure-over-israel-folau-tweet/news-story/f07078359a825370785d0285068adb7d

Thus far, in spite of Quantas who notably intervened in the same sex marriage issue expressing concern, it seems the Australian Rugby authorities and player generally are being supportive (hate the message but respect the right to hold diverse views angle).

Should he be sacked and exiled?

Pizza Man

Following on from the sacking and exile of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding by Bank of Ireland in response to feminist demands over a couple of tweets, and Roseanne’s ruination over her racist tweet there’s a case currently rumbling on is Australia over an anti gay tweet by top Australian international and key player Israel Folau.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/rugby/wallabies-sponsor-qantas-under-pressure-over-israel-folau-tweet/news-story/f07078359a825370785d0285068adb7d

Thus far, in spite of Quantas who notably intervened in the same sex marriage issue expressing concern, it seems the Australian Rugby authorities and player generally are being supportive (hate the message but respect the right to hold diverse views angle).

I'd gladly bake a cake for him.

Paddyc

No, but with the new tackle rules, he'll have to spend the entire match thinking about another man's nipples.

Sync

Yeah that's just repeating many church teachings. I don't see how that's in the same realm of making a racist attack or making false accusations of being a nazi against named individuals. It would be difficult to take any action against him really. And y'know: Wrong. People are allowed to hold religious views.

Socratus O' Pericles

Eventually the penny is going to drop. You forgot Harvey Weinstein.

silverharp

not religious but the auld religious concept of forgiveness wasn't the worst virtue and might deserve a reboot in society.

Sync

not religious but the auld religious concept of forgiveness wasn't the worst virtue and might deserve a reboot in society.
He's not saying they can't be forgiven. Forgiveness requires repentance though. He's saying they need to repent and embrace God or go to hell. That's a tenet of many religions.

benroe

Yeah that's just repeating many church teachings. I don't see how that's in the same realm of making a racist attack or making false accusations of being a nazi against named individuals. It would be difficult to take any action against him really. And y'know: Wrong. People are allowed to hold religious views.
I suppose that depends on whether he is using his religion to justify his homophobia, or he believes his god created imperfect people for him to hate

Sync

I suppose that depends on whether he is using his religion to justify his homophobia, or he believes his god created imperfect people for him to hate
What he's stated doesn't indicate either. He's stating what he believe's his God's view is.

mr. jings

If any team or league or whatever that he plays in or for gets any public money he should be fecked out on his cauliflower ear.

Wise-up

Just worth pointing out a distinction:- a Tweet is surely deliberately aimed for public consumption, like a poster or ad announcement in the paper; whereas the (Olding/PJ) Whatsapp 'conversation' amongst 5 people was surely private? In the Ulster case, the Public Prosecutor deliberately publicised a private set of messages. To create public outcry.

benroe

What he's stated doesn't indicate either. He's stating what he believe's his God's view is.
Well yes but would the same excuse exonerate him from constantly throwing stones at his adulterous team mates, if you can cherry pick out the worst nonsense in the bible then why in his mind is it OK to threaten gays with eternal torture unless he is homophobic.

Prester Jim

Maybe sports contracts should have "no social media" clauses because an awful lot of sports people seem to be unaware of their status as public figures. I don't think he should be fired, his views are repugnant to many but he is an athlete and as long as he promises to STFU should it matter? And if he doesn't STFU more people will think him a knob but I doubt many will change their views to align with his.

Sync

Well yes but would the same excuse exonerate him from constantly throwing stones at his adulterous team mates, if you can cherry pick out the worst nonsense in the bible then why in his mind is it OK to threaten gays with eternal torture unless he is homophobic.
He's not throwing stones. He's not saying he won't play with or against gay people, he's not saying gay people shouldn't watch rugby. He's not committing any crimes or making any excuses for criminal activity. He's stating his sincerely held religious belief which is in line with multiple christian church statements.

At some point freedom of expression needs to cover stuff liberals dislike as well.

benroe

He's not throwing stones. He's not saying he won't play with or against gay people, he's not saying gay people shouldn't watch rugby. He's not committing any crimes or making any excuses for criminal activity. He's stating his sincerely held religious belief which is in line with multiple christian church statements.

At some point freedom of expression needs to cover stuff liberals dislike as well.
I have no problem with him saying homosexuals are sinners and deserve to burn in hell, but I reserve the right to point out the latent homophobia that fuels his statement.

Pizza Man

Just worth pointing out a distinction:- a Tweet is surely deliberately aimed for public consumption, like a poster or ad announcement in the paper; whereas the (Olding/PJ) Whatsapp 'conversation' amongst 5 people was surely private? In the Ulster case, the Public Prosecutor deliberately publicised a private set of messages. To create public outcry.
Still busily spinning for the lads I see. You'll probably go to your grave whining about the injustice of it all!

Are you by any chance the unknown member of the exclusive Ulster Rugby Boyz "let's all shag some sluts" Whatsapp fraternity?

Wise-up

I have no problem with him saying homosexuals are sinners and deserve to burn in hell, but I reserve the right to point out the latent homophobia that fuels his statement.
Or use the insight from the words "Methinks he doth protest too much" ?

Wise-up

Still busily spinning for the lads I see. You'll probably go to your grave whining about the injustice of it all!

Are you by any chance the unknown member of the exclusive Ulster Rugby Boyz "let's all shag some sluts" Whatsapp fraternity?
Hello there PM. I'm not spinning, nor even a rugby fan, just drawing a distinction between deliberate Public Pronouncements (to 337k followers I believe); and Private Conversations. By the way, I don't think your quote is accurate, is it? Distinctions do matter you know. And 'right on' rhetorical flourishes are not necessarily truthful.

Analyzer

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies