• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Rugby Union: 2017/18

Mushroom

Draws for next season's European Cups made today -

Munster face Leicester, Racing and Castres.

Leinster have Montpellier, Exeter and Glasgow.

Ulster face 'Quins. Wasps and Stade Rochelais.

No particularly handy pools there, but looking on the bright side, the Irish teams have all avoided Sarries, Toulon and Clermont.

In the other cup, Connacht face Brive, Worcester and Oyonnax.

Calculusmadeeasy

Munster could be in for a few hidings if they continue with the 10 man multiphase behind the gain line rugby. They were badly exposed in the SF.

Leinster, perhaps a little unlucky to get an on form Clermont in sunny Lyon, on course to securing another trophy in the next couple of years? Not so sure about next season.

Henrose and Ringshaw look like a promising centre comb, but I think there's more to the former's game than mere battering ram, although he seems to do that more so for Ireland than the ladyboys.

former wesleyan

Youse are Mormons. So are the Welsh apparently.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/mourad-boudjellal-i-will-not-appeal-i-will-not-pay-1.3568132

Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal is refusing to pay an EPCR fine of €75,000 for discriminatory comments made during last year’s competition.

Boudjellal also received a warning of a further €25,000 fine, and a ban from all EPCR competitions for three years following any similar offence. Toulon would also be subject to a deduction of five match points in their next EPCR competition.

Boudjellal’s comments were in relation to the alleged homophobic remarks of Mathieu Bastareaud which were captured on camera during that match against Benetton. He told reporters: “At no point did Mathieu Bastareaud make a judgement on the sexual orientation of the player in question.

“I am not homophobic but I have already called someone a fagg*t. It’s become customary, it’s the first thing that comes to mind in an altercation.

“I am worried. What I fear is the mormon side of EPCR with the Welsh and the Irish.”

former wesleyan

Sam Warburton retires from all rugby because of persistent injuries.

CatullusV

Warburton was a fine loose forward. The rate of (injury) attrition at the highest level is starting to hit players younger and younger.
So young. I'll never forget watching his sending off in a WC match against France. There was nothing seemingly intentional about his challenge but the laws of rugby and of physics could not be ignored.

Man or Mouse

So young. I'll never forget watching his sending off in a WC match against France. There was nothing seemingly intentional about his challenge but the laws of rugby and of physics could not be ignored.
Allez Rolland

Pizza Man

The abuse of this thread in the days following the end of the 2017/2018 rugby season has appalled me.

To prevent further abuse, I call on Mushroom to open a thread entitled "Rugby Union 2018/19" as quickly as possible.

Sync

So after Gloucester make a big deal with the RFU that the Union shouldn't investigate Cipriani before his club's review is over, Gloucester promptly fine him 2k and call it "Boys will be boys". After a conviction for assaulting police. Can't think why the Union stepped in...

Man or Mouse

NZ blew Australia away in the Bledisloe game in Oz at the weekend.

Superb performance by the AB's. Brody Ritalick was the pick of their players in my opinion.
Kind of put our "series win" in perspective.

Glaucon

NZ blew Australia away in the Bledisloe game in Oz at the weekend.

Superb performance by the AB's. Brody Ritalick was the pick of their players in my opinion.
They are so far ahead of anyone else, it's scary. Their skill level is from another universe. If Ireland come up against them in that form, it'll be brutal.

gerhard dengler

They are so far ahead of anyone else, it's scary. Their skill level is from another universe. If Ireland come up against them in that form, it'll be brutal.
Yes, NZ were very impressive.

What has always impressed me about NZ is the precision of the game. Their game is so precise that even when they do make a rare mistake the cost of that mistake is usually minimal.

One other point is that NZ somehow manage to create a national team which plays like a very well organised club side. I mean how many matches does this side play in a calendar year? 10 games perhaps. Yet they play like a side which trains and plays together week in and week out. It is remarkable.

Sync

When we beat them last time it was a couple of weeks after they'd beaten Australia by almost the exact same score as this weekend. Australia were great in the first half, but in the second got blown away post some sloppy play. I remain utterly unconvinced by Cheika.

They're better than us, but there's nothing in anything Ireland's done in the last 2 years to imply we're anything but the clear second best team in the world. I'd always bet on the ABs, but it wouldn't be brutal when we meet them.

Chris Ashton's in lots of trouble. Facing a 6 week minimum ban for tip tackling a Castre player in a friendly, and then punching him to the ground. This would be on top of the 25 weeks he's been banned in the past for 2 violent offences. Jones would like him back in the fold, I do think the RFU will just say they're done with the guy.

Last edited:

Glaucon

When we beat them last time it was a couple of weeks after they'd beaten Australia by almost the exact same score as this weekend. Australia were great in the first half, but in the second got blown away post some sloppy play. I remain utterly unconvinced by Cheika.

They're better than us, but there's nothing in anything Ireland's done in the last 2 years to imply we're anything but the clear second best team in the world. I'd always bet on the ABs, but it wouldn't be brutal when we meet them.

Chris Ashton's in lots of trouble. Facing a 6 week minimum ban for tip tackling a Castre player in a friendly, and then punching him to the ground. This would be on top of the 25 weeks he's been banned in the past for 2 violent offences. Jones would like him back in the fold, I do think the RFU will just say they're done with the guy.
Then they came back to Lansdowne Road in November 2016 and Ireland didn't score a try.

[video=youtube;3c79a-QWMyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c79a-QWMyQ[/video]

Australia was a team that Ireland struggled to put away. The All Blacks gutted them with aplomb in their equivalent of the Six Nations. Ireland are marginally better than Australia but there's nothing in it. The All Blacks are a high speed TGV compared to an Irish Rail Commuter train. There's no disgrace in that but World Cup 2019 is already sewn up.

Glaucon

Yes, NZ were very impressive.

What has always impressed me about NZ is the precision of the game. Their game is so precise that even when they do make a rare mistake the cost of that mistake is usually minimal.

One other point is that NZ somehow manage to create a national team which plays like a very well organised club side. I mean how many matches does this side play in a calendar year? 10 games perhaps. Yet they play like a side which trains and plays together week in and week out. It is remarkable.
That new 13, Goodhue, looks like some player. They are stacked with quality in every position, including the world's best outhalf, Beauden Barrett. It's an absolute joy to watch them play. They're the best ball handling team I've ever seen in either code of rugby, and by a very, very long way.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies