Rugby World Cup - Japan 2019

owedtojoy

Latest predictions for Hagibis has it crossing the Tokyo region (not Fukuoka) on Sunday, just in time for Scotland vs Japan.

typhoon-hagibis-3-2096267.jpg

Most of the pools are decided. I do not think England or France will mind having to play either Wales or Australia.

owedtojoy

35 minutes gone in Scotland vs Russia, and already Scotland have 3 tries. They need 1 more to keep themselves alive in the pool and a chance to qualify for the knockout stage. Out-half Adam Hastings has scored 16 of Scotland's points.

46 minutes - brilliant break from his own half by Darcy Graham, passes to the scrum half Horne, and Scotland have their 4th try! 28 - 0.
The Russians look exhausted.

Means Scotland will move to 10 points, still with an outside chance of defeating Japan and coming second in the pool. As long as the match happens ...

Last edited:

owedtojoy

Hagibis is now a super-typhoon, and seems to be definitely heading for the Tokyo area, rather than Kyushu. Ironically, the Ireland - Samoa match seems now just outside the cone of possible destinations of the storm.

owedtojoy

Wow, maybe Russia aren't as good as Ireland made them.....

Scotland 42-0 Russia
I would not worry about it ... Russia has only a couple of professional players, they are almost all amateurs. Their fitness levels and morale would find the last game tough going.

You can see they put up a decent show, but today was only a final collapse.

Japan 30 Russia 10
Samoa 34 Russia 9
Ireland 35 Russia 0
Scotland 61 Russia 0

They only got into the RWC because Romania, Netherlands and Spain were disqualified for using illegal players. That being said, some of their individuals were outstanding, and might even get offers from clubs in France or the UK.

Last edited:

cozzy121

I would not worry about it ... Russia has only a couple of professional players, they are almost all amateurs. Their fitness levels and morale would find the last game tough going.

You can see they put up a decent show, but today was only a final collapse.

Japan 30 Russia 10
Samoa 34 Russia 0
Ireland 35 Russia 0
Scotland 61 Russia 0

They only got into the RWC because Romania, Netherlands and Spain were disqualified for using illegal players. That being said, some of their individuals were outstanding, and might even get offers from clubs in France or the UK.
You'd think Ireland would have done better, but then again maybe our expectations are too high for a team on the way down.

owedtojoy

You'd think Ireland would have done better, but then again maybe our expectations are too high for a team on the way down.
They did not need to "do better". They just needed a bonus point. If Ireland had won 100 - 0, the pool table would not be much different.

Scotland have a better points difference than us, but that will only matter if there is a 3-way tie at the top of the pool on Sunday, assuming things stay as they are. For that to happen, Ireland and Samoa will have to draw, and Scotland beat Japan.

owedtojoy

Fiji giving Wales a right good lash.

Fiji went 10-0 up with two unconverted tries, Wales struck back to lead 10 - 14 at half time.

55 minutes - Fiji 17 Wales 14, Fiji penalty try with a Welsh player in the bin.

Fiji are within a try of a bonus point, and might hang on to win. Wales in a bit of a panic - shades of Ireland against Japan.

60 mins. Fair play Welsh composure shines through. First a Rhys Patchell penalty, then a lovely break by Jonathan Davies, and a 3rd try for the winger, Josh Adams.

62 mins Fiji 17 Wales 22

80 mins Fiji 17 Wales 29

Wales ground it out in the end. Just managed the game better, and Fiji not calm and clinical enough.

Last edited:

Betson

Looks like the England v France match will be called off due to the typhoon. The matches in the Ireland's Group are set to go ahead as planned.

owedtojoy

After watching Fiji today, I think Samoa will also have a right good go at us. They take pride in their rugby, even in a dead rubber for them (they cannot qualify for the QFs).

Ireland need a bonus point to be absolutely sure of a Quarter Final slot. That has to be the target, even if a straight win would probably be enough.

Round tower

After watching Fiji today, I think Samoa will also have a right good go at us. They take pride in their rugby, even in a dead rubber for them (they cannot qualify for the QFs).

Ireland need a bonus point to be absolutely sure of a Quarter Final slot. That has to be the target, even if a straight win would probably be enough.
If we win without a BP will leave us on 15 points, with a PD of 52 +,
If Scot. beat Japan with scoring 5 tries, will leave them on 15 points with a PD of 71 +,
So if Japan lose with a losing BP, will leave them 15 points and a PD of 46 -. I am not 100% sure if Japan lose by 7 or less and score 5 tries, they would go on to 16 points.
If 2 teams are level on points, it's head to head
If 3 teams are level on points it comes down to points difference, then who has the most PB.
So win is the most important, if we dont score 5 tries we need to win by at least 30 points.
It comes down to the fact that when Japn V Scotland they will know what they need to qualify for the QF, in the majority of sports the 2 games would kick off at the same time

Dearghoul

There wasn't much in the way of hope for Scotland beating Japan thus far, but this mornings performance gives that glimmer.

owedtojoy

If we win without a BP will leave us on 15 points, with a PD of 52 +,
If Scot. beat Japan with scoring 5 tries, will leave them on 15 points with a PD of 71 +,
So if Japan lose with a losing BP, will leave them 15 points and a PD of 46 -. I am not 100% sure if Japan lose by 7 or less and score 5 tries, they would go on to 16 points.
If 2 teams are level on points, it's head to head
If 3 teams are level on points it comes down to points difference, then who has the most PB.
So win is the most important, if we dont score 5 tries we need to win by at least 30 points.
It comes down to the fact that when Japn V Scotland they will know what they need to qualify for the QF, in the majority of sports the 2 games would kick off at the same time
It would be just horrible for Ireland to drop out of the World Cup, and the Samoa game be Joe Schmidt's last game as Ireland coach. But sport can be cruel.

Could happen ... though unlikely ...

Ireland do not get a bonus point against Samoa 11 + 4 = 15
Scotland beat Japan with a bonus point. 10 + 4 +1 = 15
Japan get a losing bonus point. 14 + 1 = 15

That would leave all three teams on 15 points, and our points difference may not be good enough because Scotland ran in 9 tries against Russia.

The message to the Irish team is win the match first, then get the bonus point to put qualification beyond doubt.

owedtojoy

Japan beating Scotland has to be the more likely outcome, with home advantage. The teams are just about equal in world rankings.

But Scotland will not shirk the challenge, Gregor Townsend goes for it every time, and the loss to Ireland will not have dented his ambition. Scotland will be up for it, and will not be subdued like Ireland were. What do they have to lose?

It is a 50 - 50 game.

Dearghoul

Japan beating Scotland has to be the more likely outcome, with home advantage. The teams are just about equal in world rankings.

But Scotland will not shirk the challenge, Gregor Townsend goes for it every time, and the loss to Ireland will not have dented his ambition. Scotland will be up for it, and will not be subdued like Ireland were. What do they have to lose?

It is a 50 - 50 game.
World rankings bedammed. The hosts have neatly turned that on its head. I would have said that the Scots hadn't the lungs for the collision, but in fairness to them they looked pretty fit this morning.

Last edited:

Betson

Some media reports in France saying that the England V France game and the Japan V Scotland game have both been called off. The rules state both games will be recorded as 0 - 0 Draws.

But can't see them enforce this rule on the Japan V Scotland game as it would eliminate Scotland from the World Cup.

NYCKY

Some media reports in France saying that the England V France game and the Japan V Scotland game have both been called off. The rules state both games will be recorded as 0 - 0 Draws.

But can't see them enforce this rule on the Japan V Scotland game as it would eliminate Scotland from the World Cup.

Well France and England are both already through, so while not entirely academic, that match would be just to decide the group winner.

As for the Scotland Japan game, I think the organizers will be well aware of what happened in 2015 when the hosts, England got knocked out in the group stages and home interest in the tournament virtually collapsed.

From where things stand, I think Ireland are in the best position. I would rather be playing Samoa than Japan or Scotland for a place in the last 8. A win for Ireland for Ireland makes it very likely that we go through, a bonus point win would guarantee it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is annoying that a team apparently vying for one of the two top slots in world rugby a season ago should have slipped up like the match against Japan. No disrespect to Japan, they took their chance and the win and they did it well, but should events conspire against us in terms of the final standings it is a bad one to go out of a world cup on and would have to be regarded as disappointing.

I wasn't overly impressed with the response either, I have to say. There was none of the ruthlessness we enjoyed a season ago and it has been uneasy so far, this world cup.

Perplexing when you know this squad have all sorts of resource available to them in terms of first class players.

Emily Davison

Who on earth thought it was a good idea to put a World Cup in a country where you have contingency plans for life threatening Typhoons.

And who thinks a contingency plan which cancels matches is a solution. Like why not move the Scottish match to the same island as the Irish match either before if after that match. Or move the teams out of Japan to give them a chance to play. This is not rocket science given you had a contingency plan in place for Typhoons.

owedtojoy

I am astonished at my own predicitons coming true.

Apparently, England vs France and NZ vs Italy are cancelled, and are therefore 0-0 draws. England and NZ win their pools.

Ireland game to go ahead AFAIK. It is not in the path of Hagibis.

Scotland vs Japan to be decided on Sunday, which seems a bit late. If cancelled the pool will end

Japan 16
Ireland 15 (16 if we win a bonus point)
Scotland 12

If we have the same number of points as Japan, they win the pool because they beat us.

Scotland will be gutted. Japan are given a big gift by topping the pool without playing a match they have a good chance of losing.
Home town decision?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies