• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

firefly123

That'll do pig. That'll do.

I'm very happy with the strength in depth more than anything. Get our harder games out of the way. Rest up key players for the quarters.
Ireland looked like a squad today.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Good win for Ireland and a visible back-to-basics policy evident. Strengths of 2017/2018 were evident, discipline and defence what we'd become used to, and arguably not the full first team.

Happy startings.

AhNowStop

Our big players and replacements were fantastic today .... could we be peaking at just the right time ūüôŹ

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Reckon the experimental phase ended against England an uncomfortable few weeks ago.

Glad to see it too. Didn't move up in the rankings for creativity...

Sync

Good win, very solid performance. Hard to tell though because Scotland were tactically and defensively abject. We look good, but we’re Not going to face a test until SA.

kerdasi amaq

Anyway, for this World Cup; I'm adopting an anyone but New Zealand position. I do not not want to see a certain horse-faced Blair Babe PM having a victory parade with the William Webb Ellis trophy.

image.jpeg

Betson

Lads, is your Eir 1/ Virgin Media 410 shyte quality reception wise?
Mine is unwatchable!
Yes , I can view Sky Sports/ BT perfectly with no issues but Eir is always breaking up like a bad quality stream, unwatchable last few days.

I am going to cancel it tomorrow.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Yes , I can view Sky Sports/ BT perfectly with no issues but Eir is always breaking up like a bad quality stream, unwatchable last few days.

I am going to cancel it tomorrow.
I am on eir mobile and the quality of my internet connection is abysmal!

This is from the beginning from the month and no real effort to fix it IMO.

They switched me from 3G to 4G FOC but its just as bad. TBH I was just about to start a thread on this as it is.

Seriously thinking of cancelling my Contract tomorrow...

Apologies for going off side here but I need to touch base with other piesters on this 1.

owedtojoy

Emphatic win. As expected, the Scots targeted the back three, but I think they only spilled one ball each, and each time recovered. Conway took his try well, because he had a bit to do. Ryan and Henderson a powerful engine room for the pack. Hard to find anything to be critical about.

Scotland have only one game plan, and when it does not work, chaos ensues. I am reminded of Irish teams of the past.

This was a game we targeted as important, and the team delivered. Schmidt will be happy with that. As a unit, the Irish were unstoppable - contrast England against Tonga, where the English were ragged, made a lot of errors, and laboured a bit to get their bonus point. OTOH, there were not in top gear, as they will need to be for France and Argentina.

Rory Best playing for 80 minutes and still tackling in the last quarter is clearly himself and Schmidt making a statement of intent. Ireland are back.

CatullusV

Emphatic win. As expected, the Scots targeted the back three, but I think they only spilled one ball each, and each time recovered. Conway took his try well, because he had a bit to do. Ryan and Henderson a powerful engine room for the pack. Hard to find anything to be critical about.

Scotland have only one game plan, and when it does not work, chaos ensues. I am reminded of Irish teams of the past.

This was a game we targeted as important, and the team delivered. Schmidt will be happy with that. As a unit, the Irish were unstoppable - contrast England against Tonga, where the English were ragged, made a lot of errors, and laboured a bit to get their bonus point. OTOH, there were not in top gear, as they will need to be for France and Argentina.

Rory Best playing for 80 minutes and still tackling in the last quarter is clearly himself and Schmidt making a statement of intent. Ireland are back.
A big start was needed. Today the substitutions were almost as big a statement as was needed. Some get a rest, others get match time, because, lads, the game is won.

The French commentators were all over Schmidt, the Portugal camp, and the decision to fatigue players before the warm-up against England. They want him over here.

owedtojoy

A big start was needed. Today the substitutions were almost as big a statement as was needed. Some get a rest, others get match time, because, lads, the game is won.

The French commentators were all over Schmidt, the Portugal camp, and the decision to fatigue players before the warm-up against England. They want him over here.
Yeah, that's the story we are hearing ... Neil Francis said he was told by a senior player Portugal was the toughest training he had ever endured, and the players had not recovered when then went out to play England ... they were just shagged out ....

Was it worth it? Schmidt apparently read the riot act after Twickenham, but really time will tell. As long as the loss did not inflict enduring psychological damage like the Aviva match in the Six Nations. In retrospect, it looks like a fixture that should never have been planned, and the Italy game was really the first warm-up match.

Well we saw in 2007 what can happen to a team overcooked in training. Ireland seem to be building nicely. Handled properly, the rest of the group games should be a warm up for facing South Africa (probably) in the quarter final.

devonish

A good performance, made to look better than it was by a poor Scotland. Biggest +ves - Murray's control from 9, the lineout, the contribution from the tight 5 and Farrell's contribution on coming on for Aki.

Ardillaun

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well done Ireland.

I think it's four groups of five teams.
For some possibly Freudian reason, I thought we had four teams in our group and was thus able to ignore the potentially painful clash with Samoa. That may test our squad strength which is one major advantage the Big Four (NZ, Oz, RSA, Eng) have had over the rest.

My biggest concerns would be Sexton and our defence out wide. The Scots fluffed a few chances there and Stockdale’s interventions went well. I loved the way Ringrose calmly turned away from a furious Hogg having tackled him over the line (along with Conway). We did a great job of nullifying their best player.

Round tower

For some possibly Freudian reason, I thought we had four teams in our group and was thus able to ignore the potentially painful clash with Samoa. That may test our squad strength which is one major advantage the Big Four (NZ, Oz, RSA, Eng) have had over the rest.

My biggest concerns would be Sexton and our defence out wide. The Scots fluffed a few chances there and Stockdale’s interventions went well. I loved the way Ringrose calmly turned away from a furious Hogg having tackled him over the line (along with Conway). We did a great job of nullifying their best player.

owedtojoy

I agree. Sexton needs competitive game time, so I think he will start on Saturday. He was not at his best, though Murray has regained his form of 2018. Carbery needs a run out as well, because we will surely need him at some stage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom