• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

AhNowStop

I agree. Sexton needs competitive game time, so I think he will start on Saturday. He was not at his best, though Murray has regained his form of 2018. Carbery needs a run out as well, because we will surely need him at some stage.
I'd like to see Sexton play against Japan but not play "at all" against Samoa ... We need Sexton healthy and in form if we are to have any chance against SA and Samoa are physically dangerous .... The way Sexton plays he's prone to big hits so a bit of cotton wool is called for.

owedtojoy

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'd like to see Sexton play against Japan but not play "at all" against Samoa ... We need Sexton healthy and in form if we are to have any chance against SA and Samoa are physically dangerous .... The way Sexton plays he's prone to big hits so a bit of cotton wool is called for.
I would go along with that ... Sexton for 60 minutes or so against Japan, then Carbery (assuming the situation is favourable). Maybe then Carbery and Carty for the rest of the pool games.

Watching Russia and Samoa at the moment, it is like a club game. Samoa were down to 13 men from yellow cards, and Russia managed to butcher all their chances to run in a few scores. We just need to keep focus and beat them when we have to.

46 minutes, Samoa 10 (2 tries) Russia 6 (2 pens), Samoa now have 15 men again.

PS This half much better. Russia just got a drop goal, so it is 10 - 9 to Samoa.

PPS Uh-oh Samoa 17 Russia 9, 49 mins gone.

Samoa running away with it now, so they are the one we have to watch.

AhNowStop

I would go along with that ... Sexton for 60 minutes or so against Japan, then Carbery (assuming the situation is favourable). Maybe then Carbery and Carty for the rest of the pool games.

Watching Russia and Samoa at the moment, it is like a club game. Samoa were down to 13 men from yellow cards, and Russia managed to butcher all their chances to run in a few scores. We just need to keep focus and beat them when we have to.

46 minutes, Samoa 10 (2 tries) Russia 6 (2 pens), Samoa now have 15 men again.

PS This half much better. Russia just got a drop goal, so it is 10 - 9 to Samoa.
Thats what will hopefully happen ... but no matter what happens we all know this new SA team will be fairly decent favourites ... fingers crossed we get no big injuries and lots of on-form players on the day .. hopefully they're starting to peak at exactly the right time 🙏

btw, who are we likely to play "if" we were to beat SA ?

Ardillaun

I liked Murray’s kicking and passing. One thing I haven’t seen yet from his golden period - those deadly runs. Let’s hope they are in the bag.

Ardillaun

It’s surprising England are playing Billy V against the US. He’s hugely important to them and, understandably, had a rough old time against Tonga.

Ardillaun

When Sexton went for the tackles against Scotland in his usual fearless fashion, I was simultaneously cheering him on and praying he’d mind himself. We should be able to beat Samoa without him.

owedtojoy

It’s surprising England are playing Billy V against the US. He’s hugely important to them and, understandably, had a rough old time against Tonga.
He was targeted by Tonga, and was not the force Eddie Jones might have expected. Jones must have diagnosed him as needing more game time.

owedtojoy

There are surprises at every World Cup, and Fiji are one team always tipped to make a breakthrough, and achieve an amazing result. They dominate Rugby Sevens, and have a scatter of world class players.

Well, they did pull off a surprise result, but not in the way that was expected.

Uruguay 30 Fiji 27

Uruguay! Who knew they even had a team?

owedtojoy

Rumour is Carbery will get the Number 10 shirt on Saturday.

Ronan O'Gara reckons Sexton needs to be kicking goals, or else he should not be there. Perhaps Schmidt will steer the team past Japan, then use the Russia and Samoa games for Sexton to re-train his right foot?

Ardillaun

Ronan O'Gara reckons Sexton needs to be kicking goals, or else he should not be there. Perhaps Schmidt will steer the team past Japan, then use the Russia and Samoa games for Sexton to re-train his right foot?
Quite the dilemma. Sexton frequently makes try-saving tackles but he’s too fragile to take the impacts any more and he often goes too high. The time has come for him to rog the tackles (cue Munster fury) and concentrate on the kicking, both place and in-field. It’s his passing and tactical kicking that sets up our back line, and if he can’t put it between the posts then all his zest for battle is for nought.

AhNowStop

When Sexton went for the tackles against Scotland in his usual fearless fashion, I was simultaneously cheering him on and praying he’d mind himself. We should be able to beat Samoa without him.
Every feckin time he goes in for a tackle or some opposing monster crashes into him as hes about to kick for touch or yards Im watching through my fingers ... tbf thats been going on for years but its just got worse .. he wont have any more world cups and Ireland are not the same team without him...

anyway, fingers crossed he's fit and in top form for the rest of the tournament (and some...) 🤞🙏

AhNowStop

Samoa :oops: .. i feckin hope not

owedtojoy

Carty has got the start at Number 10 for the game against Japan on Saturday, with Carbery in the subs.

Kearney and Earls are back, Chris Farrell is starting the game. I think Conan was originally announced on the team, but he got injured today in training. O'Mahony is back, with Rhys Ruddock in the subs. Sean Cronin also among the subs.

owedtojoy

Japan are the ultimate banana skin team ... last world cup, they pulled off a shock result by beating South Africa. A defeat by Scotland meant they missed out on the quarter-finals.

This time, they are the home team, with massive support, and Ireland is the biggest scalp on offer to them. Now, they may have preferred to target Scotland, and with morale depressed a bit among the Scots, beating them may be a safer route for the Japanese to get to the quarter finals (assuming other results go their way e.g. against Samoa).

But I am sure they have been planning for this game since the fixture was announced. They will have seen the videos of our defeats to Argentina in 2016, to Scotland in 2017, and to England and Wales this year.

Luckily, they lack bulk up front, so they probably cannot out-muscle us like England did. But if they get the ball wide quickly, their pacey runners could seriously damage us, like Argentina did, and England too.

OTOH, we should get stuck in early, and subdue their pack, like we did against Scotland. Getting the first score would count for a lot. If we don;t get the first try, then it will be a struggle.

Ireland to win though, though maybe against wilier and tougher opponents than the Scots.

Ardillaun

Carty makes some lovely little chips over the defensive line which he often gathers himself. I think that tactic would be even more effective against literal heavyweights like Samoa than Japan but let’s hope he pulls off a few.

redneck

Ireland will win, Japan are still not a top team. Japan will fall away in the last 20 minutes, but will be close enough until then. Maybe even drawing at half time.

Buchaill Dana

100%. He should play the absolute minimum required once Japan are put to the sword

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom