Rumors on why Limericks O'Connell Street is been rejuvenated and pedestrianized.

realistic1

I was recently having a chat with a friend of mine and the subject of the proposed Limericks O'Connells Street upgrade came up. There has been a big song and dance of late on the proposed rejuvenation of O'Connell street. The Public was even invited to make submissions etc. The scenario at present is several different propositions, from partial pedestrianization to one lane of traffic. The bottom line is that the council have stated that car journey times in the City will increase, depending on what scenario will be selected. My friend is an official in the City Council and he has said that the real reason for this so called upgrade is to create traffic jams in the City, so as to force motorist on to the under utilized tolled Shannon tunnel. He said there was an attempt a few years back by the council to place traffic lights on the Dock road roundabout, but they were unsuccessful with this move. The current move on a O'Connell Street upgrade and involving the public is a very clever move, but in the long run the traffic in Limerick City will become a nightmare. At present traffic in Limerick is tolerable. Has anyone heard similar rumours on this issue?

Council seeking input into multi-million euro plans for Limerick's O'Connell Street - Limerick Leader
Green Party want 'linear park' in Limerick city - Limerick Leader
Red light for removal of Dock Rd. roundabout : Limerick Post Newspaper

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu
How many more incidences of public/private partnerships turning awry are there to hit the fan?

I was recently having a chat with a friend of mine and the subject of the proposed Limericks O'Connells Street upgrade came up. There has been a big song and dance of late on the proposed rejuvenation of O'Connell street. The Public was even invited to make submissions etc. The scenario at present is several different propositions, from partial pedestrianization to one lane of traffic. The bottom line is that the council have stated that car journey times in the City will increase, depending on what scenario will be selected. My friend is an official in the City Council and he has said that the real reason for this so called upgrade is to create traffic jams in the City, so as to force motorist on to the under utilized tolled Shannon tunnel. He said there was an attempt a few years back by the council to place traffic lights on the Dock road roundabout, but they were unsuccessful with this move. The current move on a O'Connell Street upgrade and involving the public is a very clever move, but in the long run the traffic in Limerick City will become a nightmare. At present traffic in Limerick is tolerable. Has anyone heard similar rumours on this issue?

Council seeking input into multi-million euro plans for Limerick's O'Connell Street - Limerick Leader
Green Party want 'linear park' in Limerick city - Limerick Leader
Red light for removal of Dock Rd. roundabout : Limerick Post Newspaper
My guess is that if this is not done i.e. force motorists on to the under utilized tolled Shannon tunnel.

Then the private company involved with building the toll road will sue the Limerick Co Co or the State for the shortfall in car usage.

This whole area is highly secretive as the associated borrowing is supposedly off the government books

noodles

Normally conspiracy theories focus on important issues. Death of presidents, causes of war, economic scandals.
Conspiracy theory on limerick traffic management.
Get a life.

realistic1

My guess is that if this is not done i.e. force motorists on to the under utilized tolled Shannon tunnel.

Then the private company involved with building the toll road will sue the Limerick Co Co or the State for the shortfall in car usage.

This whole area is highly secretive as the associated borrowing is supposedly off the government books
At present the State is paying for the shortfall, as this was the deal that was negotiated. This plan is more than likely coming from Government.

realistic1

Normally conspiracy theories focus on important issues. Death of presidents, causes of war, economic scandals.
Get a life.
Not a conspiracy, just a rumour at present :) Lets get the ball rolling.

Accidental sock

Can something be done about the thread title?...it's making my eyes bleed.

Finbar10

Limerick City could really do with an attractive centre-point. Patrick St. in Cork City (revamped about 10-15 years ago I think?) with the various side-streets off of it makes IMO for a far more attractive and compact shopping experience (a good variety of nice shops within fairly short walking distance). Limerick City doesn't really seem to have a real centre; it is more spread-out and diffuse, smaller and less of a selection in terms of shops, and there's a slight run-down air about a lot of it. Probably a lot of shopping has moved out to big shopping centres on the outskirts. Probably same has happened to some extent in Cork City, but its centre seems healthier.

Felixness

I don't live in Limerick but I do shop there and it was far better in the early '90's than it is today, so much for progress. Cruise's Street had Bewleys' cafe and there were lots of women's clothes shops to browse in. I loved having a wander around the shops then going to Bewleys for coffee and cake or lunch after a bit of shopping.

Bewleys is long gone, as are the women's clothes shops. I don't drive and I'm not going to take a bus out to the Crescent if I can't find something to wear in the city centre, more often than not I end up going to Debenhams. It's sad to see so many E cigarette shops, discount shops and euro shops there, that seems to be mainly what's opening now. Sad state of affairs when Pamela Scott was replaced by Dealz. If it brings in business to the city centre so much the better.

realistic1

Limerick City could really do with an attractive centre-point. Patrick St. in Cork City (revamped about 10-15 years ago I think?) with the various side-streets off of it makes IMO for a far more attractive and compact shopping experience (a good variety of nice shops within fairly short walking distance). Limerick City doesn't really seem to have a real centre; it is more spread-out and diffuse, smaller and less of a selection in terms of shops, and there's a slight run-down air about a lot of it. Probably a lot of shopping has moved out to big shopping centres on the outskirts. Probably same has happened to some extent in Cork City, but its centre seems healthier.
This can be done without stopping the flow of traffic through the City. At present O'Connell Street is a great example of good traffic flow.

realistic1

I don't live in Limerick but I do shop there and it was far better in the early '90's than it is today, so much for progress. Cruise's Street had Bewleys' cafe and there were lots of women's clothes shops to browse in. I loved having a wander around the shops then going to Bewleys for coffee and cake or lunch after a bit of shopping.

Bewleys is long gone, as are the women's clothes shops. I don't drive and I'm not going to take a bus out to the Crescent if I can't find something to wear in the city centre, more often than not I end up going to Debenhams. It's sad to see so many E cigarette shops, discount shops and euro shops there, that seems to be mainly what's opening now. Sad state of affairs when Pamela Scott was replaced by Dealz. If it brings in business to the city centre so much the better.
If this plan leads to increased traffic time, how will it bring business to the City Centre?

Quebecoise

Yeah, but it also has a Georgian architectural heritage that Cork doesn't have, and surely city planners would want to maintain that heritage.

I always got the feeling that Newtown Pery is Limerick city, and further alterations to its Georgian facade would mean that Limerick would lose much of its urban distinctiveness.

Man or Mouse

At present the State is paying for the shortfall, as this was the deal that was negotiated. This plan is more than likely coming from Government.
I've often wondered about all those PPP areas which seem to be only a few miles either side of the actual toll. Is that all of the motorway the private company built in the PPP arrangement? Seems a pretty good deal for them if that be the case.

Perhaps our shadow from on high, Mr McDowell could throw some light on that if he's still checking in on us.

gerhard dengler

It's been years since I've been in Limerick City but if I recall correctly aren't all the streets off O'Connell St at the Arthurs Quay end all pedestrianised?

razorblade

It's been years since I've been in Limerick City but if I recall correctly aren't all the streets off O'Connell St at the Arthurs Quay end all pedestrianised?
Cruises street is, but apart from that its just parts of thomas street and bedford row.

razorblade

Limerick city centre pedistianiation would do a world of good for shoppers in the city centre, at the moment it is chocoblocked with traffic, and parking is virtual impossible in some places, the original statement from the city council was to start construction, for the pedistianiation of o connel street to start by the beggining of 2017 and be completed by 2018, as of yet construction hasnt commenced, however with planning permission grsnted for a 15 story office block, appartments and cafes in the bishops quay areas of the city, the overall future of the city looks very promising.

Last edited:

Felixness

If this plan leads to increased traffic time, how will it bring business to the City Centre?
Pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street might increase foot fall. As it is the majority of traffic seems to be just passing through. It's all just theoretical, but if pedestrianising even part of it increased foot fall then it might attract more business to the area. As it is the loss of one of the big stores on Cruises Street would be disastrous and Debenhams, the poor mans BT is mainly where I end up shopping, if that goes it would only leave Penneys as an option.

Mad as Fish

Get a life.
Those that immediately start screaming conspiracy theory are the first I consider to have something to hide.

Mad as Fish

Pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street might increase foot fall. As it is the majority of traffic seems to be just passing through. It's all just theoretical, but if pedestrianising even part of it increased foot fall then it might attract more business to the area. As it is the loss of one of the big stores on Cruises Street would be disastrous and Debenhams, the poor mans BT is mainly where I end up shopping, if that goes it would only leave Penneys as an option.
But it people are put off visiting the city by the traffic congestion then that increased footfall is not going to happen.

Mad as Fish

A few points -

I doubt that many people take the city centre route rather than the tunnel, going via the motorway is so much easier and quicker and must save the €1.90 in petrol, not that I am any great fan of the toll.

Other than the M50 toll and perhaps Port Laoise I wonder if any of the tolls are bringing in the revenue that were probably once envisaged.

The key to upping the income from the Shannon Tunnel is to rejuvenate the west but it seems the government is hell bent on fecking the rest of the country in the interests of Dublin

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies