Rumour: 80 billion bailout for ireland next week

SKELLY

UNCONFIRMED: Rumours Medley have published a report suggesting that there will be an EUR 80B bailout of Ireland next week.
Here we go: RTRS-EURO ZONE SOURCES SAY IRELAND IN TALKS TO RECEIVE EMERGENCY FUNDING FROM EUROPEAN UNION
15:16 12Nov10 RTRS-EURO ZONE SOURCE SAYS "VERY LIKELY" IRELAND WILL GET EU FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAMME
Twitter

Our future being decided in Seoul?!

ocoonassa

That's about €18,000 each for every man woman and child. Can I get my share put into my bank account?

johnfás

Of course we are getting a bailout. Ireland owes 80bn plus, Ireland neither has 80bn plus, nor can borrow 80bn plus. It is all quite obvious.

kerdasi amaq

It's the idiots who lent a shower of gombeen politicians money who are being bailed out.

Astral Peaks

Watch out for a lot of public appointments next week.

'Cause the Govt is going and friends need taking care of!!!

Garza

Forgive my ignorance on economic matters.

But will the people have to pay this bailout back?

Paddy Sarkozy

Please could somebody who actually knows explain, if this report is true, where does the bailout money come from and who really gets it?
The way I'm seeing it is, the banks that Ireland's banks owe money to are going to have their debts paid off, so those foreign banks are in the clear but Ireland's taxpayers are still one the hook for a the whole sum.
But surely the ECB is nothing but a kind of huddle of those big banks that are getting bailed out in the first place, so we are into a dog chasing it's tail scenario here, baffling and crystal clear in equal measure.
Any help to understand how this all works would be greatly appreciated!

Plumduff

So what?

Will this mean that the EU will for its own reasons have prevented this nation form changing into a mature honest place for its citizens? Or will we be the spoiled child that whined loud enough to get the biscuit, only to remain unchanged and be back again for more? :cry:

New Threads

Most Replies