• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Running from Rio. Athletes withdraw. Is it Gold for Zika?

The Field Marshal

I totally support the decisions of some Irish athletes to withdraw from the Olympic games due to this health scare.

I noticed an attempt by RTE to slyly hint that such people were unpatriotic.
The fanatical view of that organisation is that athletes must expose themselve to having mutated children in order to satisfy that stations lust for gold.

On the other hand how real are the risks?

The Olympics is on a long slow decline anyway due to all the scandals and a gold medal there is invariably tainted.

What do other posters think?

BREAKING - Rory McIlroy withdraws from the Rio Olympics over Zika virus fears - Independent.ie

Betson

Very few if any actual athletics will withdraw. Professional Golfers , Tennis players etc might consider it because in their sports the Olympics is not really that huge a deal where as with track and Field athletes this is everything they have been working up to in their sporting careers and It will take more than a relatively mild heath scare to keep them away.

I agree with you about the Olympics been in decline as a major event.

drjimryan2

its about personal choice and safety........rory has made his decision, simple as....

question is.....who might follow?

The Field Marshal

its about personal choice and safety........rory has made his decision, simple as....

question is.....who might follow?
Indeed.

According to RTE the athletes who have withdrawn are receiving barrages of criticism on twitter.

Why should anybody expose themselves to the risk of having deformed children for the sake of success in a competition that
has dwindling status ?.

daveL

Professionals will withdraw because the Olympics is meaningless to them

It's not their bread and butter

In fact; it's likely a pain in the hole for them.

It's also a risk to their livelihood if they get injured while participating.

As it stands; the Olympics is a load of sh!te anyway with wall to wall cheaters.

The Field Marshal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_at_the_Olympic_Games

The whole thing is a farce anyway.

Every medal has a shadow over it in my book.
Especially the ones from countries like the USA and Russia where giant private and state investment entities plough many millions
into the training of athletes from a young age onward.

The olympics real status used to be based on a genuine meritocracy open to all on a level playing pitch.

The media and politics have destroyed it.

Zika now plays the funeral march.

Levellers

Delighted to hear the creep is gone. We can cheer on the real golfers now.

Enigma Variations

Very few if any actual athletics will withdraw. Professional Golfers , Tennis players etc might consider it because in their sports the Olympics is not really that huge a deal where as with track and Field athletes this is everything they have been working up to in their sporting careers and It will take more than a relatively mild heath scare to keep them away.

I agree with you about the Olympics been in decline as a major event.
Are you mad?
Haven't you read what this disease can do?
There is a much wider issue here than the relatively mild effect it may have on the carrier.

Spanner Island

Just like the Euros... sport is losing it for me... I'm sick of the money, the managers, the off pitch rubbish, the relentless media coverage, the 'celebrity' associated boll*cks... the professional cheating that nobody ever tries to sort out... dives and the like... and just about everything...

The Olympics is no different... cheats in practically every sport with genuine winners denied their moment only to be awarded medals months and years later when it means little to anyone and nobody gives a sh!t...

The Russians are already seeing a softening towards them by the lily livered IOC...

So tbh I don't give a crap how many athletes bail or not...

I'll probably still watch because there'll be nothing else on... but practically every medal awarded will be suspect...

Sad... but there you go...

off with their heads

no one cares about the olympics its been seen for what it is........pitiful globalist dung :)

darkhorse

I totally support the decisions of some Irish athletes to withdraw from the Olympic games due to this health scare.

I noticed an attempt by RTE to slyly hint that such people were unpatriotic.
The fanatical view of that organisation is that athletes must expose themselve to having mutated children in order to satisfy that stations lust for gold.

On the other hand how real are the risks?

The Olympics is on a long slow decline anyway due to all the scandals and a gold medal there is invariably tainted.

What do other posters think?

BREAKING - Rory McIlroy withdraws from the Rio Olympics over Zika virus fears - Independent.ie

Somehow, I suspect this has more to do with the prize money on offer than anything to do with health in the case of McIlroy

Spanner Island

Somehow, I suspect this has more to do with the prize money on offer than anything to do with health
Or in his case perhaps a convenient way to avoid competing for Ireland and possibly having to put up with all sorts of sh!te because of it...

Or maybe not. Only Rory really knows... but I've no problem with him or anyone else choosing not to go for whatever reason...

The Field Marshal

Somehow, I suspect this has more to do with the prize money on offer than anything to do with health
You may be right but the Zika thing is frightening.

Is the virus transmitted between men and women?

I initially thought it was only transmitted from mother to unborn child.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I believe the Russian track and field contingent have withdrawn over Zika fears also. Shocking stuff.

Betson

Are you mad?
Haven't you read what this disease can do?
There is a much wider issue here than the relatively mild effect it may have on the carrier.
The scare itself is mild as your risk to it can handled to almost down to a zero chance of any repercussions when handled properly even if you contact it , unless of course you are pregnant , how many of these athletes are going to be pregnant?

The Field Marshal

The scare itself is mild as your risk to it can handled to almost down to a zero chance of any repercussions when handled properly even if you contact it , unless of course you are pregnant , how many of these athletes are going to be pregnant?
If the virus can be transmitted in either direction from male to female then these athletes become carriers and can transmit the virus onward at any time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies