Rural Ireland. Is there any point?

Baron von Biffo

If people in the likes of Leitrim wanted City standards of services they would need to pay a lot more in taxes due to the small population.
Who's saying they should?

It is reasonable though, to ask why people in Leitrim should pay tax at the same rate as Dublin dwellers despite getting just a minute fraction of the services that taxes buy.

Sweet Darling

It is reasonable though, to ask why people in Leitrim should pay tax at the same rate as Dublin dwellers despite getting just a minute fraction of the services that taxes buy.
Tax take in Leitrim would not meet the County Council wages there, don't mind provide services for the locals.

Sweet Darling

Tax take in Leitrim would not meet the County Council wages there, don't mind provide services for the locals.
Was it Sutton where the locals demanded a flood barrier and then objected to it because it interfered with their view of the sea?

And then of course there was all that unpleasantness when Dubs were expected to deal with their own rubbish by building an incinerator.
Incinerator up and running, flood barrier in Clontarf going ahead.

Bea C

That is back a bit, when Fr McDyer campaigned for Western Development
Yes.
I'm not certain what my point was back then in 2017, but it was possibly to tell an anecdote relayed to me by the man who was CJ's secretary in the Agri days. Donal Creedon was his name, a very nice man who helped me with my thesis.
They traveled to Mayo for a meeting with this bunch, and one of the committee, another priest, apparently got his chair as soon as they entered and sat with his back to them.
For the entire thing.
Charlie didn't flinch throughout, but apparently the rest of the panel was visibly annoyed with the moron, however.
They came out, and Donal didn't think it much of an issue with the Minister initially - but the drive back to Dublin: the language.

bactrian

This is the type of fallacious nonsense that is trotted out regularly by rural dwellers.

Rural dwellers choose to build their new houses in remote parts of the countryside. There is no question that they will build/renovate in the (dying) towns or villages. All that guff about "Guardians of the Land" goes out the window when the prospect of a cheap site and twisting the arm of local councillors for Planning Permission is in prospect.

All choices have consequences.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I must say someone who wants a house in a rural beauty spot and then starts agitating for a level of services commensurate with a central urban location needs to be told that the two things aren't necessarily an entitlement.

If there is any broadband effort made it should be rolled out to vital public services such as hospitals first.

always found it rather demanding that people should expect city salaries and city services in a country location where they have chosen to buy because they wish to live in bucolic rural surroundings. One of the downsides of the bucolic location is in fact the absence of more usual urban services.

ergo2

Yes.
I'm not certain what my point was back then in 2017, but it was possibly to tell an anecdote relayed to me by the man who was CJ's secretary in the Agri days. Donal Creedon was his name, a very nice man who helped me with my thesis.
They traveled to Mayo for a meeting with this bunch, and one of the committee, another priest, apparently got his chair as soon as they entered and sat with his back to them.
For the entire thing.
Charlie didn't flinch throughout, but apparently the rest of the panel was visibly annoyed with the moron, however.
They came out, and Donal didn't think it much of an issue with the Minister initially - but the drive back to Dublin: the language.
Bea, I was around in those days. I supported Fr McDyar and his work. Was at a lot of the Save the West meetings. Wasnt at a meeting with CJH but never heard of the boorish incident you mention.
Mayo people are usually polite. imho neither they nor Fr McDyer would tolerated that carryon.

Bea C

Bea, I was around in those days. I supported Fr McDyar and his work. Was at a lot of the Save the West meetings. Wasnt at a meeting with CJH but never heard of the boorish incident you mention.
Mayo people are usually polite. imho neither they nor Fr McDyer would tolerated that carryon.
Donal said that the others present were visibly annoyed with the guy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies