• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Rural Pubs: Will their closure create social suicide?

833 pub licences were not renewed in the 2007 to 2009. 54 of these pubs are located in Mayo, Deputy John O'Mahoney TD, FG announced after finally getting the information from the Dept. Finance.

Given that, apart from churches, public houses are the backbone of social life in rural Ireland, whether a good thing or bad, that is a fact, these closures will impact on the lives of those who rely on pubs for all social contact.

As a smoker (I know, don't start) I stopped going to pubs to meet with mates and instead we meet in our houses, I feel that apart from the financial problems that all businesses are facing, that the ban on smoking in public houses etc., has contributed, strongly to the downfall of many a thriving business.

Was banning smoking a huge mistake? Has the impact of this ban led to this crises? Should it be reversed. Can it be reversed? Should the ban be voluntary?

Twin Towers

As a non smoker the blanket smoking ban was just another idiocy in the idiot history of this idiot nation.

I cannot believe it Twin Towers, but we agree on something! There is hope yet. When is the fĂșcking revolution going to begin?

pd_phoenix

I think it depends on your generation, my parents (in their 60s) will never adopt this thing of going to eachothers houses, the pub is a central part of their social life, and I dont know about ye but the smoking ban didn't effect me at all, granted I was 17 when it was introduced but the pubs I go to have fantastic smoking areas, usually better than inside!

USER1234

As a non smoker the blanket smoking ban was just another idiocy in the idiot history of this idiot nation.
Why was protecting the health of the nation by banning smoking in public places like pubs a just another idiocy, smoking is proven to be 1) Addictive 2) Deadly to human health,

So why should the government not want to protect it people from their death dealing influence (especially non smokers who have as much right to the pubs as smokers and don't want to be poisoned by their fowl habit and uncaring attitudes!)

Back to the main subject, the downfall of rural pubs can be put down to 3 main factors

1) The price of drink
2) The drink driving laws
3) The smoking laws

& out of them i say the main factor is the horribly expensive price of drink, if the pubs didn't gouge their customers (and the suppliers didn't gouge the pubs) more people would be in the pubs but due to the prices its cheaper and easier to get some in!!!

Last edited:

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Lowering the drink limit with regard to motorists has affected rural pubs more than smoking. I smoke, does not stop me nipping out the back to have a smoke every couple of pints.

jackryan

The drink driving laws are what are killing the pub and the price plus a change in social habits, I actually think the smoking ban is blamed but not really relevant, Coffee shops restaurants etc weren't affected until the downturn and if u reintroduced the smoking ban in the morning for pubs even less people would go!

nonpartyboy

Never, the paddys are to servile.
If it was the brits or the french telling us what to do paddy would be running at the machine gun bullets, but whatever it is about this strange little country will put up with anything from our own.

USER1234

If it was the brits or the french telling us what to do paddy would be running at the machine gun bullets, but whatever it is about this strange little country will put up with anything from our own.
Way off topic!!!!

imokyrok

The drink driving laws are what are killing the pub and the price plus a change in social habits, I actually think the smoking ban is blamed but not really relevant, Coffee shops restaurants etc weren't affected until the downturn and if u reintroduced the smoking ban in the morning for pubs even less people would go!
How hard can it be to arrange a couple of taxis for closing time.

In any case we have ridiculous numbers of pubs. Every small town in Ireland has far more pubs than grocery shops for example. A few less won't destroy the country. The very rural one when there are none others around have a captive consumer base which could be served by organizing a bit of transport.

imokyrok

Pubs? = boring! Bring back the Dance halls, no need for social suicide.
The dance halls were brilliant. Kids don't go dancing nowadays - what's up with that?

charley

a lot of rural pubs closed during the boom years because they were getting mad money for their licences

PaddyJoe McGillycuddy

I feel that apart from the financial problems that all businesses are facing, that the ban on smoking in public houses etc., has contributed, strongly to the downfall of many a thriving business.

Was banning smoking a huge mistake? Has the impact of this ban led to this crises? Should it be reversed. Can it be reversed? Should the ban be voluntary?
No, no, no, no and no! The smoking ban is one of the few sensible and forward looking measures that this lot will be remembered for. Fair play Micheal M. It was a tough old station to go up against the publicans but he swung it. As a smoker myself when the ban came into force I had no problem with it. Smoked half as much, went outside to stretch the legs, ended up in conversation with people who otherwise I wouldn't have met and felt better the next day because of not having to ingest other peoples smoke. After the first couple of months nobody had a bad word to say about it.
I'm surprised that anyone is still giving out about it!

Panopticon

Well, obviously as a nation we need brain-cell-killing toxins to act as a pretence for a social life in rural areas. It was bad enough when they stopped us driving dangerous vehicles on public roads at great risk to others while our mental abilities were impaired by the toxins, but when they stopped us simultaneously poisoning others with our carcinogenic toxins, that was the last straw. So we dropped the pretence that we were drinking alcohol as a social event and took it at home instead. It's political correctness gone mad, I suppose.

Rant over. J.M. Synge is still the unheeded prophet in his own country. We have made an institution of public houses because it's easier to drink than it is to organise a genuine social life in rural areas. The number of cross-country voluntary social organisations can be counted on two hands at most, and some of them are going moribund, while some of them are thriving but vocationally or socially exclusive. I have watched the churn of young men, great football players in their time, drift away from the GAA as the bulk of their peers chose the pub instead; the lifestyles aren't incompatible, but it doesn't help the club when organising training for every age group over 16 is a fight against last night's bottle. It's awful that I say "their time" when I mean "their mid-teens", but that's how it goes in this conflict.

We have fetishised it to such a degree that we listen to people talk about making drunken driving easier without making them aware of the total unacceptability of that proposal.

stewiegriffin

Why is drink so important ? I mean we are talking about a pint or two so what the hell is the point anyway ? Why not have a cup of tea ? Get hammered at home while posting mad crap on some forum .

PaddyJoe McGillycuddy

Time to cop on that its now 2010. Off license, dvd and internet. I know its a cliche but this is not the 1980's any more. Kids have facebook and mobiles; parents pick up a movie and a bottle of wine on a Saturday night. Forget the old pub stuff; its not coming back until the mortgage is paid off in twenty years time:)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies