Russia gets 2018 World Cup

Interista

I honestly cant see the 2022 WC being held in Qatar for obvious reasons. Remember Colombia was picked to host the 1986 World Cup but because of the political instability and the fact that they were way behind schedule, it went to Mexico instead who did a great job and was class WC.

The Brazil and Russia WCs I think will be successfull with great atmosphere and culture to boot however with Qatar a country with no football or sporting pedigree, it has all the hallmarks of being a disaster.
Obviously the heat and lack of football culture are major issues, but as regards being ready on time, I don't think you need worry. Qatar is very rich and if there's one thing the Gulf countries are good at, it's putting on a show - usually with the aid of large numbers of poorly paid migrant labourers. Qatar has staged other (albeit much smaller) sporting events such as the Asian Games, with success. They have 12 years to get the infrastructure ready, and I have no doubt they'll do so in plenty of time, and that the stadia will be spectacular, though completely soulless and lacking in atmosphere.

Rocky

Croker / Lansdowne / Thomond / upgrade of RDS / upgrade of Tallaght stadium / upgrade of Dalymount / upgrade of other GAA grounds if they want in

Just thinking, looking at the above - say with a new stadium in the North of Ireland plus one or two upgrade projects - we are certainly within touching distance of co-hosting a soccer world cup? and to be honest, not far off hosting a rugby world cup all on our own?

anyone agree? wouldn't that be fantastic for the country?

why not? it's possible folks
Maybe a European Championship with Scotland, Northern Ireland and maybe even Wales. A World Cup is far beyond us though. Ambition is all well and good, but it needs to be somewhat realistic. There's absolutely no reason to pick Ireland above England as well.

Rocky

Obviously the heat and lack of football culture are major issues, but as regards being ready on time, I don't think you need worry. Qatar is very rich and if there's one thing the Gulf countries are good at, it's putting on a show - usually with the aid of large numbers of poorly paid migrant labourers. Qatar has staged other (albeit much smaller) sporting events such as the Asian Games, with success. They have 12 years to get the infrastructure ready, and I have no doubt they'll do so in plenty of time, and that the stadia will be spectacular, though completely soulless and lacking in atmosphere.
FIFA's idea is to bring football there with the World Cup. There was no football culture in the US and that World Cup worked out well and did help to bring football to the US.

I wouldn't worry about the infrastructure either. The problems will be the heat and that will be a massive issue, even if just for fans and players travelling around, presuming everything else will be air conditioned and also the size of the country. Qatar is tiny, so I struggle to understand how they will fit all these extra people in the country without some massive difficulties. Historically FIFA/EUFA always want the stadiums to be spread around the host country for obvious reasons, but that won't be possible in Qatar.

THR

Hasn't FIFA stated very clearly that as long as there is a credible bid by a single country, the joint bids won't even be considered? So why did Netherlands/belgium and Spain/Portugal even bother? perhaps because the FIFA-rules can change in a heartbeat. Now, for example, they have the rule which states that the WC can be held on one continent every third time at the most, therefore the earliest opportunity for Europe to host it after Russia is 2030.

Of course, rules like this fly into the dustbin if need be and someone has enough cash. If Qatar somehow fail to provide the WC I wouldn't count England out as 2022 plan B-hosts. After all, there is always some plan B-host. In the case of South Africa there were a lot of rumours that the country couldn't organise the event and the USA would step in as a replacement host.

As for the Euros, the 2012 euros will be in Poland/Ukraine but Ukraine is seriously behind the schedule in their preparations.

THR

My message to those whinging and whining Englishmen is as follows: Just swallow the defeat and get over it. You were not good enough and you are not the centre of the universe,unlike you may think, so grow some balls and stop that idiotic whining!

anewbeginning

yea, I bet they wouldn't have mentioned anything about transparency if they had won.

then andy anson was on the BBC saying that the thing that annoyed him most was that he was told beforehand that they were going to win and something about handshakes...

that's hardly a transparent process..
Agreed 100%.

The entire process was based around a nod and a wink culture, and the English bid team knew this as well as anyone. It was based around favours, and gifts and hospitality and god knows what else.

What definitely cost the English was the Panorama and Sunday Times exposes. Blatter said as much in his pre voting speech!

England probably had it in the bag if the corruption wasn't exposed. But it's a filthy process no doubt about it and I along with many others do not trust FIFA.

The same delegates voting for these WCs voted for many more before. It's an old boys closed shop job where blatent corruption is endemic and the English bid team and all the other bid teams were involved in this corruption and bribery.

As for Ireland bidding in the future, it's actually possible we could get a World Cup here, if we were willing to pay enough bribes.

Qatar is after all only the size of Northern Ireland!

anewbeginning

My message to those whinging and whining Englishmen is as follows: Just swallow the defeat and get over it. You were not good enough and you are not the centre of the universe,unlike you may think, so grow some balls and stop that idiotic whining!
Fair point and few Irish people including me have sympathy for the English.

The point I and others are making is that FIFA are a blatently corrupt organisation who are accountable to no-one.

Maybe a European Championship with Scotland, Northern Ireland and maybe even Wales. A World Cup is far beyond us though. Ambition is all well and good, but it needs to be somewhat realistic. There's absolutely no reason to pick Ireland above England as well.
i agree, a soccer world cup is beyond us until such time we are back in the black and have more stadia alread built.

agreed, we could easily do the euro's with the countries you mention. i think hosting the europa league final in lansdowne will certainly help in terms of exposure.

as for not picking ireland over england - i think events of the last few days will answer that one - england can forget about things for a good while i'd say. certainly while septic bladder is in charge anyway. our fans have a huge reputation, we have the infrastructure (more or less) BUT our weather is probably an issue!

Yes, I do believe there were backhanders involved here, but something interesteing which someone pointed out is that it is the World Cup not the "England Cup" (which technically is the Premier Leauge). I believe it is fair and just that Russia got it.
Having said that, FIFA is a disgrace in general and if one was to speculate why Qatar got it, FIFA probably have high electricity bills. Maybe now, Qatar can give cheap oil to thier new buddies in FIFA!!!

THR

I would even be ready to make a bet that by the time we come to the year 2022 it will be England hosting the World Cup. Long before that date the unsuitability of Qatar will have become obvious and all these silly rules about the competition being held on the same continent only every third time at the most, those rules have been thrown into the dustbin.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies