Russia gets 2018 World Cup

Aspherical123

So when can we expect any arrests? Wasn't this investigation called off?

Seriously, I've no idea if the winning countries bribed FIFA officials or not. But to suppose that the US or UK would never ever bribe because it's illegal is either naive or jingoistic - or both.
I never said private UK companies did not bribe, but its not worth FA officials getting involved with,as its highly likely they would be exposed by the News of the World if they did. Its a criminal act.

smitchy2

Russia will be a costly logistically nightmare for fans.
Quatar should not of been even considered given its summer climate.

Interista

The best stadiums in the world and not having it since 66, meant England should have got it, its all about bribery.
This isn't the X FActor. It's not about who 'deserves' it. It's about who bring the most profit for FIFA.

aspherical

I never said private UK companies did not bribe
So why did you bring up the Al Yamamah case, in which Tony Blair personally intervened to call off the fraud squad? It doesn't really support your case that bribery is not tolerated in Britain.

its not worth FA officials getting involved with, its highly likely they would be exposed by the News of the World if they did.
Sooner or later they probably would, but if the bid was successful would anyone - least of all the government - care all that much? Wouldn't it just be sidelined like the Yamamah deal?

Its a criminal act.
So was Yamamah. ANd as I said, the PM pesonally intevened to have investigations halted. I don't think Britain is quite the perfect 'rule of law' society you are trying to make out.

vanla sighs

Is Russia going to change their visa requirements for the World Cup? Their current visa rules are very bad PR for tourism.
From what I've heard no visas will be required for ticket holders. Been in Russia a couple of times, lovely country and cheap - except hotels, hotels are quite expensive.

Ideal Gnome

Wasn't Blatter very careful when opening the envelope for the 2018 result? Maybe he was afraid the cheque would fall out when he took out the card with Russia on it!

Interista

Qatar, however...
Putting aside any suspicions of bribery, Blatter was keen to leave a 'legacy' of expanding the game to new markets, sorry, horizons. Having the tournament in the Middle East is another first for him. Whether it will turn out to be a wise gamble is another question entirely, especially as it's 12 years away. Qatar is a glorified city state. In those summer temperatures, having thousands of fans descend could get very claustrophobic....

vanla sighs

Russia will be a costly logistically nightmare for fans.
Quatar should not of been even considered given its summer climate.
Not really. No visas will be required for ticket holders. Internal train travel for ticket holders will be free. You can fly from Dublin to Moscow return for about €200.

Aspherical123

This isn't the X FActor. It's not about who 'deserves' it. It's about who bring the most profit for FIFA.

aspherical

So why did you bring up the Al Yamamah case, in which Tony Blair personally intervened to call off the fraud squad? It doesn't really support your case that bribery is not tolerated in Britain.

Sooner or later they probably would, but if the bid was successful would anyone - least of all the government - care all that much? Wouldn't it just be sidelined like the Yamamah deal?

So was Yamamah. ANd as I said, the PM pesonally intevened to have investigations halted. I don't think Britain is quite the perfect 'rule of law' society you are trying to make out.

The UK is not the bannana republic, bribery is investigated. REPEAT, its not worth the FA getting involved in bribery. Those involved could end up in court.

The serious fraud office was told to lay off by Blair cause the Saudis were going to cancel a 60 billion arms contract.

England would have put on a far better world cup then Russia, as for profitability, thats debatable, ticket and commerical revenues would obviously be higher then Russia, which is a semi third world country with crap stadia.

Ideal Gnome

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Great decision, one of the biggest countries in World football that has not staged the competition. Just goes to prove that English football can buty all the Champions's Leagues but it can't buy the World Cup.

AMAZED with the Qatar decision.

locke

Breaking News

Bertie Ahern to succeed Sepp Blatter as head of FIFA.

Of course, it's all about his love of football and nothing to do with the fact you get paid in cash...

Aspherical123

Great decision, one of the biggest countries in World football that has not staged the competition. Just goes to prove that English football can buty all the Champions's Leagues but it can't buy the World Cup.

AMAZED with the Qatar decision.

What evidence do you have they buy the champions league?

Interista

The UK is not the bannana republic, bribery is investigated. REPEAT, its not worth the FA getting involved in bribery. Those involved could end up in court.
REPEAT When can we see arrests in the Al Yamamah investigations (or should I say former investigations?) Anyway, no real point continuing this discussion. I'm not saying Britation is a 'banana republic' (it's not a republic at all!) but I'm not as complacent as you are that no British organisaiton would ever bribe simply because it's illegal.

England would have put on a far better world cup the Russia, as for profitability, thats debatable, ticket and commerical revenues would obviously be higher the Russia, which is a semi third world country with crap stadia.
If that was the criterion, only major first-world footballing powers would be allowed to bid. South Africa was also arguably 'a semi third world country with crap stadia' but most agree they put on a pretty good tournament (even if the games themselves were mostly shyte). As for profitability, England is an established market. Giving the game to a rising power like Russia might make a lot more sense in the long-term.

Interista

How concrete block communist stadia compare with premier league ones ?
Or even communist block concrete stadia?

you do know that the tournament is not next week, don't you? 8 years is plenty of time to build new stadia or renovate existing ones.

MacCoise2

what is about the English psyche that they bid for everything and feel entitled to win everytime? Russia will be great.

How big is Qatar? Will it be spread around the Gulf maybe?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies