Russian backed plot to overthrow Montenegran government exposed.

Clanrickard

Russia plotted to overthrow Montenegro's government by assassinating Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic last year, according to senior Whitehall sources

The planned Montenegro coup, scheduled for Oct 16 last year, was one of the most blatant recent examples of an increasingly aggressive campaign of interference in Western affairs, Whitehall sources told the Telegraph.
Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, and his US counterpart, Rex Tillerson, are understood to have discussed the issue last week at their first face-to-face meeting.
Interpol is now hunting two Russians the Montenegrin government says are intelligence officers who hatched the plot
But British and American intelligence agencies called in to help the Montenegrin authorities unravel the conspiracy are understood to have gathered evidence of high-level Russian complicity.
Encrypted phone calls, email traffic and testimony from plotters-turned-informants are now part of the criminal investigation of 21 conspirators accused of terrorism and “preparing acts against the constitutional order of Montenegro”.
Predrag Bosković, Montenegrin defence minister, told the Telegraph there is “not any doubt” that the plot was financed and organised by Russian intelligence officers alongside local radicals.
Yet more evidence, if any more was needed, that show how dangerous Putin's regime has become. It was well flagged that Russia was trying to stop Montenegro from joining NATO to try and get a seaport at the Adriatic. This coup would have ended in blood shed. Seemingly a force of Serb nationalists linked to Russia would be posing as police ad would storm the Parliament killing Premier Djukanovic plunging the country into crisis and scuppering its NATO bid.

I happen to know from people in Montenegro that this type of event was something Montenegrans were half expecting. Russians have been buying up property in the area and making it clear, in a very thuggish way, that they expect Montenegro to know its place. Politicians have faced intimidation and pro-Russian politicians suddenly become flush with cash.

There needs to be a strong reaction to this with increased sanctions on Russia and targeted visa bans for even more of Putin inner mafia circle.

eoghanacht

OK clan.

I'll ring May and have her convene COBRA.

Erudite Caveman

We'll see how it pans out. Might be horsesh1t, might be true. Most likely sorta-kinda-true but level of association with Russia exaggerated somewhat.

benroe

Russia plotted to overthrow Montenegro's government by assassinating Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic last year, according to senior Whitehall sources

Yet more evidence, if any more was needed, that show how dangerous Putin's regime has become. It was well flagged that Russia was trying to stop Montenegro from joining NATO to try and get a seaport at the Adriatic. This coup would have ended in blood shed. Seemingly a force of Serb nationalists linked to Russia would be posing as police ad would storm the Parliament killing Premier Djukanovic plunging the country into crisis and scuppering its NATO bid.

I happen to know from people in Montenegro that this type of event was something Montenegrans were half expecting. Russians have been buying up property in the area and making it clear, in a very thuggish way, that they expect Montenegro to know its place. Politicians have faced intimidation and pro-Russian politicians suddenly become flush with cash.

There needs to be a strong reaction to this with increased sanctions on Russia and targeted visa bans for even more of Putin inner mafia circle.
Yes lets boycott the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Russia, that'll learn em.

I think its incredibly arrogant to think that our "media" have all the geo-political facts and are giving us an un-bias view.

Spanner Island

Fake news IMO
That's the beauty of the 'fake news' 'post truth' world...

Everyone can choose what to believe based on their own prejudices to such an extent that blatant facts can be ignored.

(Not saying this report is a blatant fact btw... I don't know... but it doesn't matter anyway whether it is or it isn't)

People will believe what they want to believe and seek out sources that reflect their beliefs.

O

Oscurito

Huh? Such an idea wouldn't even consider the remotest possibility of crossing Vladochka's mind!

Rumours about butter melting in his mouth are a CIA-Zionist-EU-Ukrainian plot! :mad:

benroe

Everyone can choose what to believe based on their own prejudices to such an extent that blatant facts can be ignored.

(Not saying this report is a blatant fact btw... I don't know... but it doesn't matter anyway whether it is or it isn't)

People will believe what they want to believe and seek out sources that reflect their beliefs.
Yes but surely its an improvement on simply swallowing what we are fed, surely a good dose of skepticism is healthy.

O

Oscurito

Yes but surely its an improvement on simply swallowing what we are fed, surely a good dose of skepticism is healthy.
There's healthy skepticism and then there's a bone-headed refusal to accept the blindingly obvious.

They're very different things.

GDPR

While I can't bring myself to condone their actions I am forced to admit a certain degree of sympathy with these Yugoslav patriots. The dismemberment of Yugoslavia ranks among NATO's greatest crimes. I very much doubt though that Putin was in any way involved.

Boy M5

While I can't bring myself to condone their actions I am forced to admit a certain degree of sympathy with these Yugoslav patriots. The dismemberment of Yugoslavia ranks among NATO's greatest crimes. I very much doubt though that Putin was in any way involved.
Explain.

Clanrickard

At what point will people accept Putin is small minded bigoted nationalist gangster? The Telegraph is a reputable paper and they are quoting fairly reputable sources. This is very serious. If Putin is prepared to use violence to get his way deep into Europe then we need to think about a tough European wide response.

GDPR

They were acting to take revenge on a foreign puppet who is enabling the impoverishment and plunder of their country. I might not approve of the manner they went about it but I certainly understand who drove them to take the course that they did.

benroe

There's healthy skepticism and then there's a bone-headed refusal to accept the blindingly obvious.

Yes but whats blindingly obvious in the murky world of covert operations and why don't we hold the US and China to the same level of accounting.

D

Deleted member 42179

Then there is useful russophobic idiot who repeats any UK secret services bullsh*te put in the telegraph.

There have been ACTUAL assassinations of leaders in Novorussia by US backed nazis from Kiev which we haven't heard a peep about wheras this "alleged" assassination plot where nobody was actually assassinated gets wall to wall

GDPR

At what point will people accept Putin is small minded bigoted nationalist gangster? The Telegraph is a reputable paper and they are quoting fairly reputable sources. This is very serious. If Putin is prepared to use violence to get his way deep into Europe then we need to think about a tough European wide response.
The tenderness towards Putin shown on here is shared nowhere else. This man has been responsible for many murders or attempted murders - of journalists, opposition figures and foreign politicians. He has been doing this for years, not just recently. Putin came to power as a result of a faked terrorist attack on Moscow.

O

Oscurito

Yes but whats blindingly obvious in the murky world of covert operations and why don't we hold the US and China to the same level of accounting.
I agree. When I referred to "a bone-headed refusal to accept the blindingly obvious", I was thinking more of some of the anti-science loons.

Putin is quite capable of doing what he's accused of but so are many Western powers.

GDPR

I agree. When I referred to "a bone-headed refusal to accept the blindingly obvious", I was thinking more of some of the anti-science loons.

Putin is quite capable of doing what he's accused of but so are many Western powers.
I would be truly surprised if any western political leader has been accused so regularly and with such good grounds of having former associates, journalists, and rivals murdered, not to mention known involvement in the poisoning of a foreign leader. Can you think of any? Do you believe Hollande, May, Kenny, Merkel etc have ordered hits on people? Really?

benroe

The thing that has to be factored into every conversation about Putins geo-political strategies is his need for an existential threat, if russians don't feel threatened then they wouldn't need an authoritarian leader.

GDPR

Oh I do believe Putin is not only capable of ordering a murder, I believe he has done it on more than one occasion. Sorry about that Bill, but the record is just too bad by now.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies