Russian blogger probably going to prison for "playing Pokemon" in a church and deemed to be religious hate.

silverharp

Russian blogger probably going to prison for "playing Pokemon" in a church and deemed to be religious hate.

Im not sure if I'd class that as freedom of speech? I was thinking that is similar to the thing of putting bacon on the door handles of a mosque for which at least one person in the UK was sent to prison for.

Either there ought to be no rules protecting religious spaces apart from general trespassing or religious people are entitled to more protection compared to a corporate or gov. space?

Russian prosecutor demands jail time for man who played Pokemon in church | Reuters

A Russian state prosecutor asked a court to jail a blogger who played Pokemon Go inside a church for three-and-a-half years on Friday, saying he was guilty of inciting religious hatred, a court employee told Reuters by phone.

Ruslan Sokolovsky, 22, a popular blogger, last August posted a video online of himself playing Pokemon on his mobile phone inside a church in Yekaterinburg built on the spot where the last Russian tsar and his family were killed in 1918.

In the video, which contains strong language mocking Christianity, Sokolovsky likens Jesus Christ to a Pokemon character and says he had decided to play the popular game inside the church because he had seen a news report saying people who did so could be fined or jailed.

GDPR

Uh the title of the thread is inaccurate.

Look Tsar Nicholas II and his immediate family have been canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church and are widely seen as Saints among the Byzantine Orthodox. I have some problems with this as I'm not sure that he was killed for his Christian Faith but an argument can be made that he was....Anyways videoing yourself going to the spot where this man who is considered widely to be a Saint was killed and mocking Christianity in foul language while doing so is a bit more than just playing a stupid computer game in Church.

blokesbloke

I agree with Ratio which isn't something I often say.

He wasn't arrested for playing Pokémon in Church, it was the other things he did.

Whether or not he should have been arrested or what the relevant charge should be is a separate issue, but why trivialise with an inaccurate title?

silverharp

I agree with Ratio which isn't something I often say.

He wasn't arrested for playing Pokémon in Church, it was the other things he did.

Whether or not he should have been arrested or what the relevant charge should be is a separate issue, but why trivialise with an inaccurate title?
I put playing Pokemon in quotation marks, which was the clue , anywhere else I have seen it they have gone with a similar headline probably hoping that nobody reads on

eoghanacht

That's nothing today in the parliament of our Republic all elected officials shall be made stand for a prayer to a non existent deity.

New Threads

Most Replies